LS1GTO.com Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 348 Posts

·
been beat by a Nana lately?
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey y'all. We had an install day yesterday and I had my new cam put in. Bullet racing cam 224/224 .561 lift with 112lsa. Sounds mean as HELL!!! But turned out there is a problem. We ran into a problem with parts, as the valve stem seals that come stock on the 04 GTO are built right into the seats. And they wouldn't fit into the dual springs that came with the cam. Of course, no auto parts store is gonna have valve stem seals on a Sunday, so the new cam was put in, stock springs left in place, with plans to do the springs as soon as I can. On the drive home though, it started tapping really bad. Fortunately, one of the mechanics that did the work was right behind me and we stopped in the parking lot of Taco Bell in Matthews so he could pull the valve covers and make sure I hadn't bent a rod... which I had not. The tap comes and goes and he seems to think it's a collapsed lifter and the plunger is getting stuck down from time to time. Thought I'd attach a brief video though. It sounds awesome!!! I've got Kooks 1 3/4" headers to go on too, but we didn't have time yesterday.

http://video.freevideoblog.com/video/2BA0FBCE-1DD7-4073-BCA4-507EF37DD0BA.htm

·
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm workin' on it...hang on. :D

·
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay. Link works now. Sorry. :p

·
9 Second Club
14,766 Posts
Sounds wicked..

·
dum dum dum dum dudum
6,217 Posts
When those Kooks go on, that straight pipe is going to be insanely loud. I had the same thing and I had no choice but to get an exhaust.

·
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I know. I still have my stock mufflers and I know I may end up having to put them back on. Or I may end up putting a catback on...

·
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
didn't try to use any. i have crane dual springs but we didn't put them in cuz we didn't have the valve stem seals. they have been ordered and will be in tomorrow morning. then we can work on getting the springs installed.

·
Gone but not forgotten
3,699 Posts
Appearently the person you bought the cam from and /or your mechanic didn't know you couldn't use stock seals with dual springs. Did your springs come with seats? I don't think the ticking problem problem is related to using the stock springs.

·
HP Junkie
444 Posts
He mentioned it might be from a sticky lifter...I would have just gone with Comp 918's with a cam that size.

·
Registered
100 Posts
maybe not enough lifter preload.When the engine reaches a certain temp the lifter bottoms out and can't take up the valve clearance.
May only be one lifter and at a certain engine temp.pull the covers and check the preload,you may need longer pushrods.

·
1,095 Posts
ToddO said:
Appearently the person you bought the cam from and /or your mechanic didn't know you couldn't use stock seals with dual springs. Did your springs come with seats? I don't think the ticking problem problem is related to using the stock springs.
The guys doing the install figured it out pretty quickly once we started opening boxes ;) ...there was no way possible to use the stock seals with those particular dual springs; the diameter mismatch was hopeless.

A little miscommunication with an otherwise-excellent parts guy... we'll get it all worked out.

·
Gone but not forgotten
3,699 Posts
EdHenderson said:
The guys doing the install figured it out pretty quickly once we started opening boxes ;) ...there was no way possible to use the stock seals with those particular dual springs; the diameter mismatch was hopeless.

A little miscommunication with an otherwise-excellent parts guy... we'll get it all worked out.

Problems when modding is like getting kicked in the :eek2: (sorry Lisa) :)

·
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I don't have any of those to get kicked in. But I will say it's like being kicked in the gut. :banghead: Here I've got a beast sitting out in my garage and can't drive it. :whine: I probably woulda put 100 miles on her today if it weren't for that. All city driving so I could sit at the stoplights and idle. heehee. But it'll all work out. Seals have been ordered and will be here in the morning so we can get the springs changed out. Hopefully that's all it will take to make the tap go away. Course, the timing assembly still needs to be changed out. Joy.

Ed, I guess the stock timing chain can handle it okay till I get the correct one??

·
Needs Directions
3,260 Posts
sounds awesome:thumbs:

·
BlubBlubBlubBlubBlub
325 Posts
The thing will sound a lot better with the LTs... tough to guage in the video. But idles really well!!!! :D

JOUT

1 - 20 of 348 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.