LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
U.S. Army Retired
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out a way the get those airbag warning decals off the sun visors without ruining the visors? I hate driving a musle car with warniing labels. :(

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
I started to try but gave up when I realized a clean removal was not a simple process. I hope somebody has a method because I don't like them either. I wear my seat belt because I want to, not because I'm told to.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
nikivee said:
It's against the law to remove them. You car won't pass inspection then.
I don't know where you heard that but I've taken them off every single car I've ever owned and I buy at least one new car a year. There has NEVER been even the slightest hint at trouble. This might be vary from state to state but I would love to see any evidential information you have about this statement.

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
Car inspections are state regulated. In Oklahoma, apparently you don't need an inspection. In new york state, its every year for a mandatory $36.00 on a emition testor that runs the car at around 55-65 mph or as they say cruising speed, because they felt the old ones were too slow and didn't match everyday driving. About the stickers, that is in no way true, New York has one of the most strict inspections after maybe California and it only matters if your emitions, saftey and lighting are all in working operation. They can't fail a car because the sticker isn't there, that law is for GM. Its similar to the Mattress tag that can't be removed under penalty of law, that law is for the manufaturer to protect the consumer against fraud.

·
U.S. Army Retired
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nikivee said:
It's against the law to remove them. You car won't pass inspection then.
Just like the label on your mattress. I bet they are still looking for me for doing that. :sneaky:

·
Registered
44 Posts
LOL, these things crack me up. My wife caught me cutting the big ugly warning tag from her hair dryer cord the other day...you know, the one that says to not use it in the tub and such. ;) My response is always the same: If someone has the mental capacity to read the note, they have enough common sense to not use the hair dryer in the tub anyway. Needless to say, the logic flew right past her :)

·
2,432 Posts
Iowa has not tests of any kind. It's still a very foreign concept to me that you guys have to worry about that kind of thing. I guess that's the good part about living in a farm state with low population. I just heard on the radio yesterday that Ames, IA has the lowest smog rating of any Metropolitan area in the US.

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
scottknight said:
LOL, these things crack me up. My wife caught me cutting the big ugly warning tag from her hair dryer cord the other day...you know, the one that says to not use it in the tub and such. ;) My response is always the same: If someone has the mental capacity to read the note, they have enough common sense to not use the hair dryer in the tub anyway. Needless to say, the logic flew right past her :)
Yeah, but what about using one in the shower??? Nothing wrong with that, is there?

·
American Iron Horse
406 Posts
I was able to take off the dealership stickers (the same sticker I don't them NOT to put on) with a blow dryer. Maybe try using a blow dryer on high while you peel off the sticker. Good luck!

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Isn't the long term value of the car enhanced by having all the original stickers and labels? I see classic cars at the "cruise in" every Saturday night that still have 40-year-old tags and labels on them.

I found a sticker on the inside of my front fascia that said, "RUSH - For U.S. Delivery", or something like that. I left the sticker there because, who knows, 30 years from now it might net me another $40.00 at the "classic car auction". (Even though you have to take the front fascia off to see it!) :D

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
FLORIT said:
Isn't the long term value of the car enhanced by having all the original stickers and labels? I see classic cars at the "cruise in" every Saturday night that still have 40-year-old tags and labels on them.
:D
<snip>

That were my thoughts as well FLORIT. I plan on keeping my Goat for a long, long time. I'll probally never sell it. Having all the original stuff including the safety stickers, only increase the value. I know it's their car and they can do what ever the hell they want to it, but if they are going to hold on to it for a long time it might be a good idea to keep it whole. Im useing an after market hood, but I have the original in my basement all wraped up, just in case. If I ever sell the car, it will be all there and worth more.(if im ever alive to see it become an old classic)................lol

ROK

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Razinhell said:
Car inspections are state regulated. In Oklahoma, apparently you don't need an inspection. In new york state, its every year for a mandatory $36.00 on a emition testor that runs the car at around 55-65 mph or as they say cruising speed, because they felt the old ones were too slow and didn't match everyday driving. About the stickers, that is in no way true, New York has one of the most strict inspections after maybe California and it only matters if your emitions, saftey and lighting are all in working operation. They can't fail a car because the sticker isn't there, that law is for GM. Its similar to the Mattress tag that can't be removed under penalty of law, that law is for the manufaturer to protect the consumer against fraud.
That's the old "non OBDII" test called the IM240 roller test. Our cars since they are OBDII (as are all cars sold in the rest of the 49 states since 1996...California was 1995) get an OBDII PCM scan test and is extremely easy to pass. If you can't pass it, you've got issues. :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I took them off, they peeled right off, it may be because it was 100* outside that day. maybe try a heat gun

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
That's the old "non OBDII" test called the IM240 roller test. Our cars since they are OBDII (as are all cars sold in the rest of the 49 states since 1996...California was 1995) get an OBDII PCM scan test and is extremely easy to pass. If you can't pass it, you've got issues. :)
Isn't it true though that the OBDII test is only valid for metropolitan areas? I've read that my area still does the old tailpipe test because we aren't high enough population or something.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The garishly bright sticker is a huge distraction to me. I spent an hour carefully removing the driver side one with a tweezers. Didn't think to use a heat gun, but it sounds like a good idea. In Michigan we never see 100 degrees, heck this summer we never even saw 90 degrees (so much for global warming).

·
Pontiac Fanatic
12 Posts
Mine came right off. I peeled them off one day when my girlfriend was learning to drive the M6.... it kept my mind off her driving. :lol:

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
I guess I'm too tall... I don't think I've ever looked at the backside of the visors!!! Hmm, now you guys got me wondering if we have nothing, just mirrors, or cover flaps with illuminated mirrors or what on the backside! hahaha

1 - 20 of 24 Posts