LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
sxty8goats said:
I haven't had a chance to look at the part in question, you may be right. But plastic parts that are well designed are often superiror to steal. Always lighter. It could be that the molds were running too cold or hot when the part was formed, this would affect the way they formed and the streignth of the finished part. It could be a resin (type of plastic) subsutution that caused this. It may even be a poorly designed part..
My clutch would occasionally 'pop' ever since delivery. Last week I took her in to analyze the source. New linkage was ordered and arrived Wednesday (6/23). I made an appt to get it fixed for Friday (6/25). Dropped the goat off at 8:30 AM. Got a call around 1PM that the work was done. Everything was fine and dandy at this point...

I chatted briefly with the service manager about the stupid plastic part and he aslo gave me info about my leaking freeze plug. I then got in the car and drove off the lot. I remember thinking that the 'fixed' clutch felt way too easy to push and about 2/3 of travel was just play and would only catch about the last 2" of travel. I told myself that I would be returning to get this adjusted because I didnt like the feel at all and wanted more pressure returned from the pedal.

So I take it down the highway to return to work and decide to take a little 'extended drive' to test the fix. It was hot as hell yesterday so I decide to stop at a Sunoco (5 miles from the dealer) to get an Arizona tea. As I pull into the turning lane and push in the clutch to take it out of gear the pedal makes a final pop about where the clutch would catch and the pedal falls flat to the floor!!!! FIVE FRIGGIN MILES!!!!

Now I am MAD!!!! I manuever the unpowered vehicle into the lot on a side where the flatbed can get in front of me and call my service manager. I get a recording. I AM MADDER!!! I call back and ask the operator to connect me with the person in charge of the service dept and get another recording. NOW I AM MAD AS HELL!!!! I call back again and tell the operator to connect me with whoever is in charge of the service dept and to not connect me to a machine because I demand to speak with a human being immediately!!! She complies and shortly I am talking with a service manager. Being that the car is the GTO everyone on the lot is aware when one is present and he knew I just left the dealer. I told him what happened and he gives me the number to Roadside Assistance.

I call assistance and get a flatbed dispatched. About 1.5 HOURS later the truck arrives and the driver has a perplexed look and makes a remark about "they still cant build them things right." Whatever dude, get me on the truck. Item to note here: Flatbedding a GTO must be done on a FLAT surface and even then the bumpers olny have about a 1/4 inch clearance, literally!!!

We get the goat on the truck and head back to the dealer. Have you ever seen that Staples commercial where the truck is going down the highway and is surrounded by cars circling around it? Well that was the situation on the return trip to the dealer. Having a GTO lifted up about 5 feet going down the highway in traffic can really draw some attention and is NOT GOOD ADVERTISING PONTIAC!!!

We get back to the dealer and unload the car. The SM asks for a detailed description of what happened when it broke. I describe the situation while their top tech is under the dash inspecting. He popped the plastic piece back on the clutch pedal stud and is able to get it moving and pulls it in the garage. We walk in the garage and the tech shows me my previous linkage. There is a cylinder with a plastic plunger that has a round eye that mounts over the stud on the pedal lever and has 2 little plastic tabs to hold on to the stud. The tabs are similar to the ones that hold plastic cased together on radios and such. I have never seen these tabs on moving components before and now I know why. The tech remarks that "this is a shitty design". NO SHIT HUH??

They then place a call to GM engineering to figure out how to fix this permanently and order me a rental. F*&K MAN!!! I have been waiting all week for the weekend to enjoy my goat and NOW I HAVE A NISSAN ALTIMA IN MY GARAGE!!!

I highly recommend that all M6 owners bring their rides in to have this inspected!!! I brought mine in because of the occasional clicking and the fix for that BROKE MY CAR. The removed (original) piece had signs of wear already where the hole for the stud had changed from a circle to an oval. Keep in mind I only have 2000 miles on the car!!!

This design needs to be fixed quick like otherwise you will start seeing many (maybe yours) goats riding on flatbeds.

_DM

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Thats sucks, I havn't heard clicking under the dash sometimes around the bellhousing which I belive is normal. They need to make a metal pushrod have it rotate on a bearing. How about a recall, revise clutch pedal and pushrod design. lets see how GM handles this.

you have had a bad streak dmonty get hit by a guy who can't speak engles and only has $10 to his name then this.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nikivee said:
Damn that does suck!!! I have 7700 miles on my GTO and I've have not heard that click sound nor have any issues with the clutch pedal. When was your GTO built? Is it an early build? Mine was built in November 2003.
Mine left the factory April 2004. Like I said, get it checked anyway! SOme people have not experienced the clicking and lost the linkage anyway. The new linkage they put in only clicked once and it felt/sounded exactly the same as the original one did. They examined the original one and the hole where the linkage mates to the pedal lever was already oval shaped instead of circular. This tells me that even if the linkage does not pop off the stud on the lever then it will eventually wear through the side wall of the PLASTIC mating surface.

I sure hope that I am getting all of this bad luck out of the way up front.

I went out tonite sporting the Altima. For some reason at my local hangout there was a 70 or 71 Nova with a big block, big BOS supercharger in billet, TWO 4 barrel carbs, blower, traction bars, etc... Now I am not saying that I would go against this $20,000 engine beast but the guy was really interested in the GTO and all I could provide was the picture I have on my phone. There was also a modded mustang and a AC Cobra kit car with the 427 and Nitrous.

Further note, the guy with the Nova had just finished building it and hadnt dyno'd it yet. He stated it probly had around 600hp. NO WAY!!! With that setup I am thinking more along the lines of 4 digits of HP. I did take a pic with my phone and will post shortly.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Sorry about your car. Good detail info thanks. So far no problems with mine at 3200 miles and i hope it stays that way. It's amazing all the things that can go wrong with a car whether BMW or Pontiac.

Stick it out, they'll fix it.

·
got rice?
480 Posts
Thanks for the info bro. I only got 700 miles on mine but I think we all better look into it. I have one word for GM.... RECALL!!!!

When I picked up my goat the headlight switch in the dash had a broken clip on the right side. I really hope they don't try to relieve themselves of the responsability to fix my car because I have borlas and a cold air kit. The warranty on my 95 Cobra was voided when they saw subframes on the car. Can you believe that s**t?!!! I still love my goat though.

Good luck to you dmonty.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
nikivee said:
Damn that does suck!!! I have 7700 miles on my GTO and I've have not heard that click sound nor have any issues with the clutch pedal. When was your GTO built? Is it an early build? Mine was built in November 2003.
November 2003 must have been a good month at Holden. My car is a November build, now with over 7000 miles on it. I drive it like it is stolen, and I haven't had ANY of the horrid luck I've seen on this board. Nikivee... we should count our blessings.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QuicksilverLS2 said:
DMonty,

My 2005 GTO is in the shop now for the same problem. Was your dealer or GM able to find a permanent solution?

Michael
Not sure about permanent, but the replaced piece has held on for about a year and 22,000 miles.

_DM

·
2005 GTO m6
756 Posts
This happened to me on the NJ turnpike, 4 days after I bought the car, and I still have to get reimbursed for the towing since no one but special people can tow off the turnpike. Then, when I went to the Pontiac dealership that was closest, service was closed and everybody at the dealership avoided me like the plague. So, I drove the car home two hours driving it like I was driving a car with a dog box. I ended up fixing it myself with two zip ties when I went home, and I am still driving the car like this because my dealership cqant get me in to get it fixed and give me a loaner at the same time. When I posted the problem on here, everybody was in denial like I was abusing the car. Its a bad design--its a piece that can potenially see lots of stress and is used/cycled constantly. All they needed to do was add a cotterpin or a nut with a swivel washer to keep it on there. Its a part which will break again---its only a matter of time. I wasn't happy at all when this happened. My car was delivered on July 2 so I dont think the date of the build is really meaningful.

Sam

·
2005 GTO m6
756 Posts
You know pontiac should fix the issue, but since we all know it will never be replaced with a better piece any time soon, I suggest everyone take the time and wrap a zip tie wrap around the peg to the plastic arm and then tie a second wrap around the first to keep it from popping off the peg. With it like this, I have been driving the car in bumper to bumper traffic for a full week with no problems, but I do thik the plastic hoop will eventually crack or wear away. Its really a cracker jack design--I have no idea how such a piece would ever pass any kind of long term testing. If the pin is actually made of aluminum, we could always drill a very small hole x-sectionally and put a small pin in it. If its plastic, we could thread the end with a die, and thread on a plastic nut with a nylon washer and some lithium grease behind it.

Sam

·
Registered
215 Posts
Can anyone post pics? Especially if you have followed WRAITHs method to temporarily prevent the issue

·
Registered
275 Posts
A little advice;

It is 2005, KNOWONE should be experincing such problems, Sorry, but my opinion is call GM, say that you do not want the car back, due to manufature defects,and safety issues.

Call a lawyer, do not talk to the dealer or GM.

Insist you want another GTO or sell the car back to them.

That if you do not love your goat that much:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts