LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. SO HERE'S MY QUESTION. SAY I GO OUT AND PURCHASE A NEW 05, AND THEN SAY I GET THAT TINGLE AND FEEL I WANT TO SHOW THAT THE SHRINKS ARE ALL CORRECT BY PURCHASING A MAGNACHARGER, TO TAKE THE PLACE OF MY INADEQUACIES....JUST HOW FAR IN THE DIRECTION OF HELL WOULD THAT BLOW MY WARRANTY? WOULD THINGS LIKE LIGHTS, SQUEAKS, RATTLES, WATERPROOFNESS, ECT.STILL BE COVERED? OR WOULD GM JUST ROLL ON THE GROUND LAUGHING? AFTERALL, 35,000 IS QUITE A PRICE TO PAY FOR SOMEONE ELSES LAUGHTER!!! PAT :driving:

·
Registered
34 Posts
it would void any engine and drive train warrenty.
technicaly the dealer has to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem. but you would have to go to court and deal with the whole run around.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Firstly, welcome to the board. Kindly refrain from SHOUTING if at all possible. Thanks.
Magnuson has an aftermarket powertrain warranty available for a small extra charge. It has been posted here and is easy to find with the search function.
It covers engine and transmission only, not axles, diff, etc. Also no other mods like headers, cams, etc. are allowed. Only a real prick of a service manager would deny fixing a radio or defroster problem because of engine mods, but YMMV. It might be worth sniffing around to see if there are any "mod friendly" service managers in your market area. Naturally, they're not going to cover blown engines, trans, diffs, etc. but they might not be as inclined to declare you a "racer" and start denying any little thing more complicated than an ashtray. Your attitude will have a lot to do with it. If you go in there demanding they warranty stuff you've modded, you're not going to make friends, but with the right SM and a realistic attitude, you shouldn't have much trouble getting non powertrain warranty work done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How does the Mag. Warranty work?

How does the Mag. Warranty work? If you do blow the motor, who does the paper work? Is there an agreement in place between GM and Mag.? Has anybody on this board tested the Mag. Warranty?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anybody read the claim procedure? It requires a component teardown and analysis before any warranty work is allowed(paid for). WHich means that if the warranty claim is denied, you could be stuck with a bill for the initial tear down from the inspection. Something about that makes me nervous. Thats why I was curious if anybody has used the warranty yet.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
svtnick said:
Has anybody read the claim procedure? It requires a component teardown and analysis before any warranty work is allowed(paid for). WHich means that if the warranty claim is denied, you could be stuck with a bill for the initial tear down from the inspection. Something about that makes me nervous. Thats why I was curious if anybody has used the warranty yet.
the magnuson has only been out for afew months. i sure hope that no one has had to use it yet. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
True. Im an engineer, so I have to ask lots of questions and look at all the risks before making the SC decision. I love roots blowers, and If i can mod the Goat without worrying about the warranty, thats a huge plus. I think at this point Im just looking for reasons NOT to do it...LOL

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
svtnick said:
True. Im an engineer, so I have to ask lots of questions and look at all the risks before making the SC decision. I love roots blowers, and If i can mod the Goat without worrying about the warranty, thats a huge plus. I think at this point Im just looking for reasons NOT to do it...LOL
yes, i know what mean. i have been wondering the same thing. which is why i started this thread
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5902&highlight=magnacharger

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
TriShield said:
http://www.magnusonproducts.com/magnusonmoss.htm

GM by law can't deny any claim due to a mod without proving it caused the damage according to the Magnuson - Moss Warranty Act.
very true. but its still a gamble. if you mod the heck out ur GTO and then bring it in for drive train problems. you can be prety sure that ur dealer will deny warranty service. and probably the only way to get them to even consider it would be to get a lawyer and take them to court. which could end up costing alot more $$$ then the original repair.

therefore, its still a gamble.

the best thing to do is find a reasonable service manager before you start modding.

·
Here for a while
1,707 Posts
Bottom line: If you install an aftermarket part you need to be willing to accept the ramifications of doing so.

That being said, you should know that the Magnuson Supercharger is installed by several different GM dealers in the US. This should be a good indication to you that the system is a quality unit. Dealers are not going to install a product that will bring the headaches down the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts