LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
GM master tech
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, The goat got its first beating today. It was one of those Infiniti coupes, the sister to the Nissan 350Z. He sarted toying with me on a busy street. I drove to a secluded road by the lake, he followed. He wanted a piece! The badging on the back was odd and off. Underneath the Infiniti emblem. it read, "Skyline" I thought it was just some kid playing with emblems.(like the usual import) But that's not all he had done. The light turned green, and I was with him at first, but couldn't keep up and he continuted to walk! I heard a blow off valve after every shift, and a nice puff of black smoke from his exhaust. I pull up to him and ask him what he has done..(this kid just graduated highschool last year) He said it was supercharged. Sure did sound like a turbo to me. I asked him to pull over, but he said he was in a hurry to get somewhere. He did compliment the goat though. I wanted to look that thing over! It was impressive. Just thought I'd share my loss. :rolleyes: ya win some ya lose some.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
was it a left hand drive car???
if not, then it wasn't a skyline.
if you heard BOV, then it was a turbo.
sounds like either he was lying to you, or doesn't know the first thing about cars.
maybe he doesn't want to tell you what he has under the hood b/c its how it makes his $$$$

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Ah but it WAS a Skyline. The US market Infinite G35 IS the Japan market Nissan Skyline. Same as our car is an AUS market Monaro.

They have all KINDS of nifty supercharger and turbocharger kits for the G35. 450+ is cake, same as with our car (high boost off that VQ engine). There was an article with a 350Z (same engine, different exhaust for 287 @ the crank vs. 280 for the G35 coupe) in the last Super Sport Compact mag that was making 431RWHP after not a whole lot of work.

I was looking at one of those (G35 coupe) just after college (year and a half ago) but found the cabin (especially the seats) to be really uncomfortable (sitting on instead of in if you know what I mean).

·
Registered
881 Posts
Are those engines stout enough to add a bunch of horses? Will they hold up?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
phobos512 said:
Ah but it WAS a Skyline. The US market Infinite G35 IS the Japan market Nissan Skyline. Same as our car is an AUS market Monaro.

They have all KINDS of nifty supercharger and turbocharger kits for the G35. 450+ is cake, same as with our car (high boost off that VQ engine). There was an article with a 350Z (same engine, different exhaust for 287 @ the crank vs. 280 for the G35 coupe) in the last Super Sport Compact mag that was making 431RWHP after not a whole lot of work.

I was looking at one of those (G35 coupe) just after college (year and a half ago) but found the cabin (especially the seats) to be really uncomfortable (sitting on instead of in if you know what I mean).
so it would be like putting monaro badges on a GTO. :)

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
paco04 said:
Are those engines stout enough to add a bunch of horses? Will they hold up?
From what I've heard, the trans will scatter before the motor.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
WKDWS6 said:
Infiniti is offering a skyline package next year. It will read skyline and 350 GT on the back...
very cool. something to keep an eye out for.
they can be very quick from what i have seen. never underestimate them

·
The GTO Devil...
1,572 Posts
words of wisdom

1)no matter where you go, there is always someone faster

2) The one with the most money is usually the fastest

all tru to date

·
NASA Instructor, MW/GL Region
460 Posts
MY SYMPATHY. :barf:.....YA LOSE SOME, YA WIN A LOTT :p
DID U HAVE A GOOD RUN AT IT OR WAS THERE SOMETHING U COULD HAVE DONE DIFF, HOLDING IT IN A LOWER GEAR FOR LONGER, A CRAPY SHIFT?
SOMETHING??? OR WAS THE CAR THAT FAST :banghead:

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
Soon enough I'll have the LS1 super charged. I'd like to run into a "skyline" under those circumstances. :hail:

·
GM master tech
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies guys, I wasn't balls to the wall accerlation, due to some cars pulling out ahead (didn't seem to bother him) but he was that fast. The badging did read skyline right under the infiniti logo, and on the right upper part of deck lid, it did say. 350 GT. All in all, I was impressed. I just wished he would have pulled over so I could have looked it over. I think its time to order some parts for the goat,Im thinking supercharger, that or go climb into the T/A and hunt for him. :sneaky:

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
BOV with black smoke = turbo lots of boost and bad tune probably.

Enough mods to walk a stock M6 GTO....yeah, unfortunately. Would be nice to know what boost he is running then you can ballpark a hp #

·
GM master tech
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
phobos512...yes, looked just like that, but with an Infiniti emblem instead of the Nissan. Looked close to that color too.

·
Registered
223 Posts
There are some people using BOV with Superchargers and they really sound like a turbo. Its really hard to tell if the car is SC'd if u are behind it especially if its a Centri SC like the Procharger or Vortech. Usually the exhaust sound and BOV will overcome the SC whine. I dont think the guy would lie and tell you he had a SC while he had a turbo under the hood. It doesnt make sense. Also getting 450rwhp out of a VQ35 motor isnt easy as some people here think. They have the weakest rods which sometimes let go around 380rwhp let alone 450rwhp. Some people are running over 400rwhp, but they are pushing their luck. Usually SC'd VQ35's are pushing between 320-380rwhp and the Turbo bunch are running between 360-420rwhp. Its like LS1's running over 600rwhp on stock motor. Black smoke can come from any car that is running rich with no cats so that doesnt mean he have a turbo because it was black smoke or a bad tune.

·
Big Pappa
298 Posts
LSs1Power said:
There are some people using BOV with Superchargers and they really sound like a turbo. Its really hard to tell if the car is SC'd if u are behind it especially if its a Centri SC like the Procharger or Vortech. Usually the exhaust sound and BOV will overcome the SC whine. I dont think the guy would lie and tell you he had a SC while he had a turbo under the hood. It doesnt make sense. Also getting 450rwhp out of a VQ35 motor isnt easy as some people here think. They have the weakest rods which sometimes let go around 380rwhp let alone 450rwhp. Some people are running over 400rwhp, but they are pushing their luck. Usually SC'd VQ35's are pushing between 320-380rwhp and the Turbo bunch are running between 360-420rwhp. Its like LS1's running over 600rwhp on stock motor. Black smoke can come from any car that is running rich with no cats so that doesnt mean he have a turbo because it was black smoke or a bad tune.
i know one 350 tested the limits with a staged 375 shot...made many passes with the 325 shot

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Mikeyboy said:
phobos512...yes, looked just like that, but with an Infiniti emblem instead of the Nissan. Looked close to that color too.
Yep...I figured. That's the back of a real one from Japan. Anywho...the vehicle as purchased there is identical to ours here. Major mods he had. I'd be really curious to find out if you ever ran into the guy again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts