LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I moved into my home 2 years ago I noticed this contraption taking up valuable space in my garage. This year, while cleaning stuff I found the invoice for the Rainsoft water softener... $5000.00. Seirously, the original owner of this house paid 5K for this thing.

I finally decided that I should call them up and maybe have it serviced. They pulled up the account and said it hasn't been touched since 1999. (All valves are in bypass mode) The guy came out today and told me that since it hasn't been used in a decade the resin is most assuredly mildewed and using this thing would most likely be not wise.

Of course what followed was his pitch for a new system. 50% off only $2890.00. That doesn't include future services, salt, added water use (for internal flushing of the system) and other hidden costs.

So what do you guys think? Texas has some hard water, not doubt, but is a water softener system worth the cash?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
There was on in my house before I moved in, previous owner took it with him. The water is very hard here, so im most likely going to put another one in. If you have really hard water and dont like taking showers/baths with it then yes it is worth it.

·
The only perscription is....
4,014 Posts
I've heard of people out in the boonies using a water softner system, but I believe all your water comes out of Lake Travis correct (assuming you live in Austin)? If that's the case, I don't think there's a problem with it. Now if you live in Houston, I wouldn't drink, shower, or even shit in that water. But that's probably bc I think everything to do with Houston is a cesspool and can't stand Houston (no offense Houstonians).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure I would even know the joy of taking a shower with soft water. I've lived in Austin/Waco/Houston my whole life.

·
Dat...Ass....
2,411 Posts
Seriously though, why the fuck does the water in Texas smell like Grass/Lake?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Little known fact... there is arguably only one(1) natural lake in Texas. All of the ones we have now have been built.

·
That guy that does stuff
117 Posts
Sounds a bit steep if you ask me but then again I do all my own work. If the system is all hooked up and you do just want to replace it and all the connections are there see if you can just get another softener for like $400-700 from like lowes or home depot and replace it yourself. If everything is bypassed around the softener the lines up to the softener should be fine cause of constantly running water through them so it should be just the softener if you don't trust it. As for scam I don't know. but thats just my :cents:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Not sure I would even know the joy of taking a shower with soft water. I've lived in Austin/Waco/Houston my whole life.
its quite nice. as of late my water has been getting even more hard. a few months ago the water faucet/shower head started to get a lot of mineral deposit on it when the water was dry. Ive also noticed that the water can make you feel a little itchy sometimes :bomb: really is annoying. the water tastes like crap too unless you let the line run for a minute or two before drinking it. I filter all my water usually anyway though. Im in the far side of round rock (couple miles from hutto) so im not sure where my water really comes from. :wall:

·
Dat...Ass....
2,411 Posts
Well all I know is I am scared to drink the water in DFW because it smells like the like back at camp. I miss the fluoride treated goodness of NYC tap water.

·
Ihanin kaikista
18,947 Posts
It was quite a shock when I took the first shower in Houston after moving from Finland. Water is really soft back there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Depends on the quality of your water. It sure as hell wont hurt. Upkeep isn't expensive, salt is cheap.

My well water has a terrible sulfur smell, and I have two carbon filters in line for that. I also have a commercial water softener after the filters. It is absolutely necessary as the groundwater here isn't the best.

·
Dat...Ass....
2,411 Posts
So...I shouldn't drink from the tap then?

·
Registered
103 Posts
That price sounds really steep. I bought a water softener with separate brine and resin tanks when I lived in upstate NY (about 5 years ago) for about $375. Plumbing the system up is simple, especially since you already have one in place. If you've got any iron in your water, throw a little citric acid powder in with each bag of salt. The citric acid will prevent the iron from fouling the resin in the softener.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The water softeners you buy at Home Depot/ Lowes will do just as good of a job as that 5000 rain soft. the salt is cheap, and when it flushes it really doesnt use that much water. Salt is cheap as hell too.

some of the advantages you will notice with a water softener are less hard water spots/calcium deposits/ iron deposits/ etc. on your dishes, shower, sinks, and toilet. The one thing i dont really care for with a water softener is when you are first getting used to it, when you take a shower you will feel "slimy". that is because you are actually washing ALL the soap off your body. hard water doesnt get all the soap off and thats what gives you that dry feel ( i guess is the best way to describe it).

·
alptbird's wife :)
148 Posts
We have a Rainsoft water softner. I love it. There no water spots on my dishes after they are washed, the shower water is so much better, our clothes look better, & you can def tell the difference in the water we drink too. I won't live in a house that doesn't have a water softner for very long. My sister went to school in Waco & that has to be the nastiest water I've ever seen. It was like bathing in dirt when you took a shower. Even the resturants ice cube were nasty tasting..

·
Dat...Ass....
2,411 Posts
Actually, tap water is better for you than any bottled water.
not all tap waters are created equally. I've heard horror stories about tainted well water.

·
GOATFEST 9 COMING SOON!!!
2,567 Posts
That is definitely very expensive for a water softener... my brother in law has a nice one from Lowes that works great. His water in Dickinson is very hard also and it knocked the PPMs way down. That makes it better for showers etc... but not much better for actually drinking. The only water I will drink is either bottled or through a reverse osmosis system... preferably a decent one not a cheap POS.

Houston's water is the worst in Texas according to some research that was done recently by one of the local news stations. Also a little known fact its the only city/area in Texas with uranium in the water that causes radiation. Its technically in the safe range according to our Govt... but its widely agreed that long exposure can have adverse effects on the citizens. IMO any uranium is bad... a little or a lot...

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
That's crazy money for a rainsoft system in a pre-plumbed house! I paid $3k for a top quality (ie: not rainsoft) system which includes Fleck 5600 valves, 2cu ft of resin, brine tank, separate carbon tank, 2 metal bypasses, and a remote install which required the guy to dig a 200ft trench by hand and lay 1" pipe both ways! I didn't want the system taking up space in my garage, so I had it installed at the back of my poperty behind an out-building.

Before having anyone do anything with a water softner though, you should have your water tested. The water quality is what determines the size and type of system you need. ie: how many grains of hardness, what's the chlorine level, etc ... I'm on Chisolm Trail water and have 18g of hardness out here with quite a bit of chlorine, which is one of the reasons I went with the system I choose.

Here's a bit of research I did when I was looking for a system: http://forum.doityourself.com/archive/index.php/t-387035.html

I ended up using a guy named Tommy Dorsey for the puchase and install, and had a good experience with him.

Thomas.

·
Token-Cracker African
3,487 Posts
Dallas has the nastiest water. Seems like NO matter WHAT you do it tastes like dirt...

Beaumont water just tastes like marshlands... o_O

1 - 20 of 28 Posts