LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been a lot of talk lately about different rear end setups. No one has been talking about the Kaaz unit. Looks like it's the same price as the Wavetrac.

Is the Kaaz old tech compared to the wavetrac? Will the Truetrac hold up to these 2 with DD, light drag racing, an occasional road track day?

It was brought to my attention the Truetrac won't hold up to a lot of drag racing. Anyone else experience failures?

Looks like Kaaz is more for a road racing setup?

It has also been brought to my attention recently that the G-force Major Rebuild kits aren't the best and I should get a major rebuild kit from the banned one... Anyone have problems with their G-force Major Rebuild kit?

Would love to hear from peeps that have experience with these setups.

Thanks! Let's discuss.

·
Need To Drive More
1,458 Posts
'scribed since I purchased a Wavetrac which hasn't arrived yet. Originally was just going to use the stock unit then researched the TruTrac but opted to pony up for WaveTrac on a significant July 4th sale.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,049 Posts
Wavetrac and TruTrac are torsen type (gear operated) differentials, with the Wavetrac being far superior. The Kaaz is an excellent clutch type unit that requires special attention to the oil used, and needs to be properly broken in and periodically rebuilt, as the clutches are wear items.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts

·
06 Cyclone GTO
3,494 Posts
Contact the banned one with these questions.

·
1 of 262
10,312 Posts
My concern is with stub retention in the Wavetrac. DSS was investigating but I have not heard of any solutions yet.

·
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wavetrac and TruTrac are torsen type (gear operated) differentials, with the Wavetrac being far superior. The Kaaz is an excellent clutch type unit that requires special attention to the oil used, and needs to be properly broken in and periodically rebuilt, as the clutches are wear items.
Thanks for the info mistermike! Makes sense now

·
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have No problem with my GForce1320 rebuild kit!!
That's good to know. How long have you had it rebuilt for and how much was the labor on that installation or did you do it yourself?

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,093 Posts
I haven't taken the Trutrac to the track, but it has been fine for street driving. :dunno:

·
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't taken the Trutrac to the track, but it has been fine for street driving. :dunno:
Nice, how long have you had it in for? Did you do a major rebuild kit when it was installed?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I have been beating on my TruTrac with 3.91s for about 5 years now. Only concern is that the inner stubs fit a little more loosely than I would prefer hit it hasn't caused any problems

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,093 Posts
Nice, how long have you had it in for? Did you do a major rebuild kit when it was installed?
I've had it in for three years now. I believe only the side adjuster bearings were replaced.

·
My other car has wings
425 Posts
Reviving this thread because I'm about to rebuild my diff. Going from 3.46 to 3.91's. Have consulted with a few experts but looking now for the real world experience of DD users and abusers.

Currently at 400RWHP in a M6 application. May or may not go to 550 RWHP in the future with a Procharger

Which LS unit: Wavetrac vs. Truetrac vs. Kaaz vs. rebuilt OEM

Which stubs: Gforce vs. DSS vs. Stock

Which gears: OEM (expensive) vs. Motive (cheaper but potentially noisy)

Upgraded side adjusters?

All input appreciated.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
As you can see from my sig, I have the Kaaz. Car is used for DD, some road rally, but mostly for road course track days. I have always used their oil and the unit has been rebuilt once in 10 years. Very durable.

·
My other car has wings
425 Posts
As you can see from my sig, I have the Kaaz. Car is used for DD, some road rally, but mostly for road course track days. I have always used their oil and the unit has been rebuilt once in 10 years. Very durable.
Any issues with loose fitting inner stubs......not mentioning any brand names.....

·
My other car has wings
425 Posts
If you put a procharger on it, you dont want 3.91's. You'll end up running out of gear before the 1/4 and find yourself having to shift into 5th. You'll be limted to 135mph at 7000rpm.
Agreed, my local track is 1/8 mile, so assuming 550 HP as my end goal I calculate I'll still be well under 6500 in 4th gear after 660 feet.

·
I deserve to be BLOWN!!!
1,481 Posts
Anyone know of gears lower than the stock 3:46? I'm looking for 3:08 or near that.
I know that people have done this in the past but I don't know who, where or what they came from.
Any help is appreciated!

I will say that Kaaz make a steller product and have more than proven themselves in the Import world. I know others have used it with great success as it was one of, if not the first unit available for our cars.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts