LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a couple of wax stains on windshield area plastic. How can I remove these stains? I tried tire dressing and all, but it doesn't help. Any suggestions??

Gianni

·
Registered
115 Posts
Gianni D said:
Hi guys,

I have a couple of wax stains on windshield area plastic. How can I remove these stains? I tried tire dressing and all, but it doesn't help. Any suggestions??

Gianni

NuFinish says to use mineral spirits, but I have never tried it.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
I would suggest Dawn liquid detergent since it is recommended to remove all wax from a car.

I also read that Westley's Tire Black will also remove it.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I've used various solvents with good results, being careful to remove the residue quickly, before it attacks the plastic or rubber. Immmediately flush with a spray cleaner, like 409 or Fantastic. Some of these new high tech waxes are pretty stubborn.

293 Posts
Gianni D said:
Hi guys,

Gianni
try mother's back to black. works way better than armor all or anything comparable on exterior black or gray plastic and rubber trim pieces

·
04 Impulse blue/blue M6 GOAT
368 Posts
same thing happened to me i used the eagle 1 wet tire shine it took it right off

·
2,137 Posts
Red98gt said:
Believe it or not, Peanut Butter, is excellent for removing wax stains on trim.
Check out www.autopia.org for fantastic information on detailing your car.
I read this too, however those who tried it said it was a temporary hiding method, versus a permanent solution. Additionally they said peanut oil worked the same, versus putting peanut butter on the car. It was also suggested not to use the chunky kind ;)

BTW... welcome to LS1GTO :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
:thumbs: Yea, GTO is tough..... It can take chunky..... I myself have never tried the PB route, I use a citrus based tar remover to get wax off trim. Won't hurt the plastic nor rubber being citrus based.
BTW, really enjoy trolling the site guys... I own a 98 Grand Prix GT and when the last kid finally finishes college NEXT YEAR!!!! I'm trading the GP in on a GTO! Get GM employee discount so hope I can use it. Owned a 66 GTO in high school and a 70 GTO in college... Oh how I miss them....... Anyway I'll sit back and just troll until I get one... Thanks!

·
2,137 Posts
gto_in_nc said:
But I prefer the chunky kind! Gives the car a more "rugged" look and provides a nice mid-drive snack, ya know??? ;)
/me pictures gto_in_nc flying down the road and a Taz arm reaches out and scoops off some of the chunky off the plastic trim below the windshield and crams it into his mouth... the next second he is gone, so fast you are not sure it actually happened.

·
U.S. Army Retired
682 Posts
"Goo Gone" works great to remove wax from the black plastic parts and it is safe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts