LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Oh my f*ck!
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out last night washing my car by hand at one of those little drive through huts (I live in an apt. and am not allowed to wash it in my driveway - hose doesn't reach anyway). Well, while I'm there some guy comes up and is talking about the GTO so we talk for a while, he invites me to street racing tonight (don't think I'm gonna go but it was cool to be invited to the "secret place" as he put it), and then as I'm cleaning the windows he recommends that I wax the windows.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I assume it's much like the idea behind Rain-X. Just curious.
 

·
GTO doctor
Joined
·
892 Posts
I usually throw a coat of Zaino on the windows when I polish the car. It definitely helps to shed water in the rain, and it makes them look really shiny.
 

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
Joined
·
14,481 Posts
I use Zaino. On the windows I use the Z6 Gloss enhancer. It works great and helps to keep them clean. Blows RainX out of the water. Most of the new hitech "waxes" are poymers and opticly clear. These all should be cool on glass. I would not use past wax, I don't think it would work the same way.
 

·
Oh my f*ck!
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I got some of that Meguiar's NXT polymer wax so I was thinking about using it. I guess now that I know you guys Zaino the windows, I'll try this stuff and see what happens. The car is definitely very shiny with it, that's for bloody sure.
 

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
sxty8goats said:
I use Zaino. On the windows I use the Z6 Gloss enhancer. It works great and helps to keep them clean. Blows RainX out of the water. Most of the new hitech "waxes" are poymers and opticly clear. These all should be cool on glass. I would not use past wax, I don't think it would work the same way.
I forgot to tell you about this PJ... I have it, used it once and love it. It is however a pain to use... but wonderful. I will also be trying it on the chrome tips.

Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
I use Rain-X, It makes the water bead and slip away from the glass
 

·
Oh my f*ck!
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Note on Meguiar's NXT:

It doesn't say this on the bottle but I did some searching around "teh Intarweb" and found that this stuff should not be used on glass. I do NOT know why but I'm not going to risk it. That is all.

As for Rain-X, one of my college roommates said this stuff over time can actually damage glass, but since the stuff has apparently not been around over the timescales it damages glass, it hasn't yet been an issue. I don't know if there's truth to this or not but who knows...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
I use a fine compound twice a year on the windows and reseal with Z2 / Z6. It seems to add to the overall gleem to the car and make the rest of the surfaces seem more consistant. And it does blow Rain X out of the water. I get better results with an application every six months than I do out of applying Rain X monthly. And it's easier.
 

·
Go Tigers!
Joined
·
2,455 Posts
Huntress said:
I forgot to tell you about this PJ... I have it, used it once and love it. It is however a pain to use... but wonderful. I will also be trying it on the chrome tips.

Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish
Z12 is what I use on my windows as well. It's specifically made for them,
and you don't even need to turn your wipers on unless it is absoulutley
pouring rain. It really lasts too. Great stuff. I love ZAINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Oh my f*ck!
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yellow Jacket M6 said:
Z12 is what I use on my windows as well. It's specifically made for them,
and you don't even need to turn your wipers on unless it is absoulutley
pouring rain. It really lasts too. Great stuff. I love ZAINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So being that it is Zaino, just how big is that bottle in the picture? 2 oz? I noticed they don't say anywhere on that page...

Nevermind, Google knows all...It's an 8 oz bottle.
 

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
A little goes long way with Z12
 

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
Joined
·
14,481 Posts
phobos512 said:
As for Rain-X, one of my college roommates said this stuff over time can actually damage glass, but since the stuff has apparently not been around over the timescales it damages glass, it hasn't yet been an issue. I don't know if there's truth to this or not but who knows...
Rain X has been around for a long time, 20+ years or so. And that plus may = 10 years. I seem to remember it in the 70's but I was a little tyke then. If 20 to 30 years isn't enought time for the dammage to start to show, I call BS on your roommate. Heck, If you are restoring a car that is 30 years old there is a good chance you will be replacing the forward facing glass anyway.

Huntress,

Have you used the Z6 on the windows? The Z12 looks like a restoration tool more than a maintinance/ cleaning tool. I get great results with just the Z6 and it goes on like butta..
 

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
No I haven't, but I had polished the windows with Z2 and wasn't happy with it as swirls showed in glass during different lighting angles (think dusk/dawn) and figured I would have the same issue with the Z6.

As for Z12, was looking for something to retain the windows, versus restoring them. I do like it a bunch.
 

·
CARmotorsports.com
Joined
·
327 Posts
Try cleaning your windows for a steak free finish with our Window Cloth....I know this sounds strange but it really works in an amazing fashion. I believe at least a couple GTO owners have purchased them. Just as pleasing as the Custom Embroidered floormats we offer. Below is the link.

http://www.carmotorsports.com/glass towel.htm

Rich
 

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
Joined
·
14,481 Posts
Huntress said:
No I haven't, but I had polished the windows with Z2 and wasn't happy with it as swirls showed in glass during different lighting angles (think dusk/dawn) and figured I would have the same issue with the Z6.

As for Z12, was looking for something to retain the windows, versus restoring them. I do like it a bunch.
I have not noticed any streeking or swirling with the Z6. I even use it on the inside glass for the side windows. I haven't used on the inside of the windsheild because I don't want it on my dash..


CAR Motorsports said:
Try cleaning your windows for a steak free finish with our Window Cloth....I know this sounds strange but it really works in an amazing fashion. I believe at least a couple GTO owners have purchased them. Just as pleasing as the Custom Embroidered floormats we offer. Below is the link.

http://www.carmotorsports.com/glass towel.htm

Rich
Not hard to beleive at all Rich. Any one of us who have purchesed new eye glasses in the past few years have been given a cloth to clean them that works just as you are discribing. The main point of the Z6 is to polish and protect from the rain..
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top