LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
whats next
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I put on the Enkei Tarmac wheels, 18x9.5 rear. And I get rub when I go over bumps, corners and sometimes when I accelerate. I already rolled the fenders. I am almost ready to give up on these wheels. Should I change tires to a different brand? Right now I got Nittos, 265/35/18.
Do you have any suggestions on what to do?​

·
Can't... stop... modding...
929 Posts
Assuming you're talking about only rubbing in the rear, and on the outside of the tire:
what is the offset for the rear wheels? 45, 40, 35?
I've got 40 on my rear, and have no rubbing with cut fenders, 275's, and the Eibach Prokit.

However, a lot of people experience rubbing where the rear 1/4 panel meets the bumper - not sure how to remedy that yet.

Finally, tire choice affects it quite a bit. Get a rounder "shoulder" tire instead of a squarer shoulder, and you'll gain a little bit of clearance.

Don't give up!

·
Waiting for GF4
2,942 Posts
Finally, tire choice affects it quite a bit. Get a rounder "shoulder" tire instead of a squarer shoulder, and you'll gain a little bit of clearance.
This could be the ticket. Not knowing what the offsets you have are, The nitto has a square shoulder and that is contributing to the rub. I just AZA Z1's on my car with Toyo T1R's. the rear are 235/65'w on a 18 x 9.5 rim. They rubbed. I had a good friend of mine grind the fenders instead of roll them and the problem is gone. I can't be happier with the Toyo's I had Nitto 555 extremes on my stock rims and they were ok but these tires are great on the street.

·
Times Up Ponyboy!!
1,092 Posts
If you don't want to roll or cut your fenders go with a 30 sidewall, I have 275/30/19's on the rear with no rubbing at all. Nice looking car btw.

·
whats next
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The offset is 35. So the wheel is 18x 9.5 with 35mm offset.

RealDeal said:
Assuming you're talking about only rubbing in the rear, and on the outside of the tire:
what is the offset for the rear wheels? 45, 40, 35?
I've got 40 on my rear, and have no rubbing with cut fenders, 275's, and the Eibach Prokit.

However, a lot of people experience rubbing where the rear 1/4 panel meets the bumper - not sure how to remedy that yet.

Don't give up!

·
whats next
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a big difference between 265/35 and 265/30? I might try Yokohama tires next and stay away from the Nittos.

·
485, 432 rw m6
536 Posts
Stock heighth rear springs will also do it. I had slight rub on drivers side and now it isn't even close. And a better feel to the car.

·
929 Posts
carOFwar said:
The offset is 35. So the wheel is 18x 9.5 with 35mm offset.
Yikes... It's a bit more difficult to keep a 35mm offset 9.5 rear from rubbing.

I'd do a combination of cutting the fenders and thinking about replacing the tires (I know... expensive). I run Toyo T1-R's as well, and their shoulder is QUITE round - offers a lot of clearance.

I'm at a 40mm offset, so all you have to make up is 5mm (and my setup has plenty of clearance). I beilieve it's doable. I'd try cutting alone first, and see if it rubbed.

Best of luck...

·
whats next
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I cut them and still no luck. I think it is the 35mm offset. I guess I shouldnt listen to the Enkei sales guy about the offset, he said that it would fit.

·
929 Posts
Man, that sucks... Do you know if it is rubbing on the back bumper rather than the top of the fender?

Maybe your last resort is switching tires...

And I would switch tires at the expense of the Enkei sales guy. If he said they would fit and they don't, let him know that if he doesn't want his wheels back in exchange for your money, he might want to give you a REALLY good deal on a new set of tires that are rounder at the shoulder...

Or... you might could have him switch out the rears for a different offset, like a 40 or 45 if you REALLY want to go conservative...

Let us know how it goes.

·
whats next
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I am thinking about returning them. I guess this is what I get for trying to be original. I didnt want to get the same wheels as everyone else.:confused:

RealDeal said:
Man, that sucks... Do you know if it is rubbing on the back bumper rather than the top of the fender?

Maybe your last resort is switching tires...

And I would switch tires at the expense of the Enkei sales guy. If he said they would fit and they don't, let him know that if he doesn't want his wheels back in exchange for your money, he might want to give you a REALLY good deal on a new set of tires that are rounder at the shoulder...

Or... you might could have him switch out the rears for a different offset, like a 40 or 45 if you REALLY want to go conservative...

Let us know how it goes.

·
whats next
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I changed to the Koni rear shocks and some stiffer springs, do you think that will help.

·
Registered
246 Posts
carOFwar said:
If I changed to the Koni rear shocks and some stiffer springs, do you think that will help.
I have 1/2 inch pedders raise on rear, with 295 DR's. 49mm offset

·
whats next
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you got any pics. So you didnt buy the Pedders street package or anything?

·
Registered
246 Posts
carOFwar said:
you got any pics. So you didnt buy the Pedders street package or anything?
check out the sig, full pedders track II.

Drew

·
OG 05 Owner and FPFQAF
2,610 Posts
you could try getting some drag bags, and keep the slightly inflated all the time, to keep spring rate down..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts