LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Speed Junkie
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the past week, I've noticed some weird noises. There are 2 distinct noises that I've been trying to pin down and be able to reliably reproduce them for when I take it into the dealer.

1. Is a metallic rattle sound that is evident about 90% of the time when I go from a dead stop and start rolling. When I let off the clutch, and ease onto the gas and the clutch first engages there is a brief metallic rattle sound. It is also evident at mid-high rpm's (2500+), but I can only hear it when I drive next to a curb or when there is another car next to me to bounce the sound back to me.

2. Just started over the past 3 days. It's even less reproducible. It is best described as a squeak. It sometimes will accompany the rattle sound upon clutch engagement but it will then keep going indefinitely. At first I thought it had something to do with my wheels (they are aftermarket) but I it isn't. The squeak will fluctuate with the engine RPM's. I can sometimes reproduce the sound from a dead stop, but not all the time.

It's very frustrating, sometimes the 2 sounds can work in tandem together and get fairly loud, which in city driving is not only highly annoying but very embarrassing. Other times, I'll listen for it and I won't hear a peep. The metallic sound is pretty easy to reproduce for the most part, I'm fairly sure that upon a road test I can get a tech to hear it. But the squeak is worrisome. I just know that when I pull up to the dealership they will both go away and I'll look like yet another customer that "heard a sound".

Luckily I take my car to Mike White's dealership for all service/work, so if anyone is going to do something about it, it's him. I just want anyone’s opinion on what this could possibly be. I'm dreading having to fight the dealership on warranty issues. I only have 2 mods on the car and one of them was installed before I even bought it (Mufflers). The other is the wheels and tires.

The clutch gives me no signs of it slipping, it performs well day in and day out. Although there is some slight chatter, but it's always been there. Every since I've been driving it. You can't really hear it unless you listen for it.

Anyway, any thoughts on what this could be?

·
Registered
414 Posts
1) it is your syncros mostlikely, rattling...possibly

2) your throw out bearing...mostlikely

·
Speed Junkie
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that it's a good thing, but it would explain the sounds. I would it rather be that than engine related.

·
smurfin' fly-by...
1,482 Posts
Possibly a bad catalytic converter? My truck made a metallic/rocks rolling around sound when it went bad - I could only hear it under those conditions as well. That squeak makes me think otherwise tho...

·
Speed Junkie
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out you were part right, it was the Cats. Seems somewhere along the line I bottomed out or ran over something.

The right Cat had both it's brackets broken. The dealer welded them back on, but now I hear a slight tick during idle which wasn't there before. Before, the sound would only be during accel or clutch engagement. I still have that but only slightly, and not constant like it was before. Which tells me that it was indeed part of the problem. The Cat could be going bad altogether (maybe from the impact of whatever hit it) which would explain why the sound is still there even after the bracket problem has been resolved.

I'm not going to bother taking it back to the dealer, I'm just going to put up with it until mid month when I go Kooks LT's-Catted Midpipes.

·
Banned
5,086 Posts
lmao... shhhhhhhh you hear that...NO
oh ok...
so as you were saying..
oh yes i was trying to tell yo..
SHUT UP YOU HEAR THAT...
uhhhh nooooo...batty you ok there buddy:nuts: :nuts:

i swear i keep hearing things..:secret:

·
Speed Junkie
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You just never heard it, but it was pretty loud at times. Although it was hit or miss when it would happen. Either way, it gives me an excuse to buy stuff. :)

·
Banned
5,086 Posts
i think someone been hitting the:drink: a little hard..

LMAO .but if it makes you buy parts hell i have some noises in my car that will make you buy all kinds of parts for your car....:) :gears: particularily this whine i just cant get rid of....lol ill sell it to you on payment plan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts