LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the rubber hangers at the very tail end by the tips with metal shims welded into place. Will this cause noise from vibration or is there any other reason I shouldn't? The reason being I have had problem with it staying in place and this would cure it. I've tried zip ties which just look tacky in my opinion and break or stretch.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Use stronger hangers. The stock ones are a bit wobbly. I have the same problem. Solid hangers will cause a problem. If they don't crack, and break.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I buy alot of exhaust parts from a local exhaust supplier. I have yet to get a set. If you've got a day of two. I can find a set. You only need the four rear ones? Or, do you want two more for the axle pipes?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure that the new hangers are going to fix my problem. If I utilize the same size hanger the tips are still going to be off center. Plus they still have the possibility of moving around. I hate the fact that if I go over a bump the people behind me are watching my tail pipes dance around. My plan was to take four shims and weld one in between each metal hanger. Two coming off the exhaust to the two hanging down from the frame and do the same on the other side. I will still use the other hanger to provide some flex, but the tips would be the same and not moving around.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Mine does trhe same. Even due to the 04' to 05' exhaust swap. My right pipe really moves around. You might be able to twek the hangers on the mufflers. To stiffen the wobble.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to go mess with it, in the mean time I hope someone can chim in who has actually welded in their system. Thanks for the help Devil.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
No problem. I will try a few things myself, and check back in.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Those would be what I would be buying.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I've seen those. I will be shopping around at the local parts stores to see what they have. I still think my issue is the metal posts are not bent exactly the same so even if I get stronger hanger components the tips will be out of alignment. I might have to heat up the post and bend it, I can't do it with just a 12" extension and socket.

But just to get things straight, everyone seems to think welding the post together would be a bad idea?

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
you want the rubber or plastic isolatiors in the system. Otherwise you will get noise and vibration. as for fixing the corsa alignment just bend the metal hangers on the mufflers. It's easy and it fixes the centering problem.

·
Banned
993 Posts
well i kept the stock hangers and just put clamps round them, those screw clamps (the ones for intake piping) and that took all the rattle out, i didnt have a problem with the ones round the muffler tip only the two in the middle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts