LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rear Seat Delete Builder
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a K&N cone filter on the end of my MAF, removed the airbox duct work. Damn thing tore. Plus the maf is way hot. I called PAW for a refund but that was a big fat no. The filter may have been too big and too heavy.Plus the stock ducting is to short and flexes too much. Oh well plan B , order and speedinc one. At least my heat shield is almost done.

ps it was a Re 0920 K&N 9" filter

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
What exactly tore? The filter?

The MAF will be hot, especially with it's proximity to the engine and the fact that it is a cast metal which conducts heat better. There is nothing you can do about the MAF getting hot. S ince ours doesn't have teh IAT sensor in it, it really isn't an issue. All our MAF does is measure air speed and volume.

·
Mach1 NUT!
2 Posts
msfyter said:
I installed a K&N cone filter on the end of my MAF, removed the airbox duct work. Damn thing tore. Plus the maf is way hot. I called PAW for a refund but that was a big fat no. The filter may have been too big and too heavy.Plus the stock ducting is to short and flexes too much. Oh well plan B , order and speedinc one. At least my heat shield is almost done.

Hello msfyter.
I like your user name and the quote. My wife has MS and is disabled. We have a cat that looks just like yours. At least he did when he was a kitten. Hes grown and a fat cat now. Bad news is I drive a Mach1. I wanted to get a car to take my wife for fun rides in. She is an old gear head. First car I test drove was the GTO. I liked it, especially the interior and the overall refined feel of the car. The sales man pissed me off... wouldnt deal at all. This was on July 1st. so I went next door to Ford and Voila, they were nicer and willing to deal and on top of that, they didnt have to tag along for the test drive like they did at Pontiac. Any way, I hope the 2005 GTO's are more successful. Certainly will be faster with the LS2. I look forward to seeing the 2005 GTO's at the dealers. I am still attracted to the look. I would keep my Mach though. Forgive the off topic intrusion by a Ford guy. Really I am a car guy. I like em all.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
wriggly1dog said:
Hello msfyter.
I like your user name and the quote. My wife has MS and is disabled. We have a cat that looks just like yours. At least he did when he was a kitten. Hes grown and a fat cat now. Bad news is I drive a Mach1. I wanted to get a car to take my wife for fun rides in. She is an old gear head. First car I test drove was the GTO. I liked it, especially the interior and the overall refined feel of the car. The sales man pissed me off... wouldnt deal at all. This was on July 1st. so I went next door to Ford and Voila, they were nicer and willing to deal and on top of that, they didnt have to tag along for the test drive like they did at Pontiac. Any way, I hope the 2005 GTO's are more successful. Certainly will be faster with the LS2. I look forward to seeing the 2005 GTO's at the dealers. I am still attracted to the look. I would keep my Mach though. Forgive the off topic intrusion by a Ford guy. Really I am a car guy. I like em all.
We have no problems with "real car guys!" Welcome to the forum!

Doc

·
Registered Goat Abuser
3,350 Posts
msfyter said:

Please reply with what tore - I am doing the very same mod with the very same Cone.

·
Rear Seat Delete Builder
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rubber neck that attaches to the MAF. Plus the Maf gets way hot . Also the weight of the filter and the angle. Support the filter and it should be fine. At first it hit the hood. Im gonna go with a smaller one next.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts