LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to EVIL GTO I now finally got my hands on a Mav man carbon spoiler. It was a little rough, but beggars can’t be choosers. It looked like it was cleared with UPOL, which I don’t care much for because it usually doesn’t make a nice finish but it is uv resistant. Two of the mounting nuts were ripped out too. Which he disclosed all of that to me, so I got exactly what he said I would. And thanks again buddy for hooking me up!
So anyways, here’s some progress pics. I dremeled out the nut hole, I cut grooves all around the nuts to give grip on the epoxy. I used jb weld 3900psi clear epoxy. That’s some pretty strong shit.

heres before

And the nut

Epoxied back in

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yay. I get to sand off all the clear. Long story short, I sanded it and cleared it. I got a huge run and had to sand it ALL back off because it made a bunch of white bubbles in the clear. I think I used the wrong hardener the first time. I just bought another quart of clear and hardener. Had a buddy pick it up for me because I’m in quarantine but I did get to drive the gto to go meet him in a parking lot (staying away from each other) to get it.

Skip to finished. It turned out really nice. I do have one booboo. Tho. It’s super hard to avoid sanding and breaking down to the carbon weave. The epoxy thickness is really thin I suppose. So you can see a little spot. O well, still like good. I can always recluse it and shade the clear with some black pigment and it’ll hide it.

Here’s my mess up. Ugh.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FANTASTIC bro!!!!!! Beautiful work, indeed!!!!!
Thx! I wish the pics would show what it really looks like. It’s stunning in real life. I put three coats of clear. Wet sanded 500-800-3000-5000 then 3m compound, meguiars ultimate compound (less aggressive) then meguiars ultimate polish-swirl remover. All machine done. It looks sick! I just put a final buff on it and the blemish is much harder to see now.

·
Administrator
8,419 Posts
Great pickup. To be honest, and from my experience with mine, the best way to buy these things are used at a cheaper price.

I say that as the fitment and quality of his parts are far from desirable, so needing to spend time/money on them to get them to a higher quality doesn’t piss you off had you spent full price for a new one.

Few hundreds of dollar later in work and paint (sorry, I hate the bare carbon fiber look) and I’ve a spoiler I love.

Reactions: zech912

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't have the talent to do things like this I know it that's the way that it is. You took something that looked rough & from it created artwork. You guys on this forum are incredible with your abilities & talents. I'm glad I joined.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx fellas. I like the carbon look myself but I also have thing that I do to carbon when I clear it if it has imperfections. I’ll mix some black in the clear and it comes out black smoke and you can see the carbon under it. Looks sick. I may end up doing that to this one if the carbon gets old. It doesn’t quite match my trunk insert panel so either I’ll paint it like that or I’ll laminate my trunk insert. I have an extra I could do. But trust me, it’s alot of work.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Why didnt you put a nutsert in? Would have given it more of a grip surface. Plus i think they look better (not that anyone will see it mounted)

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Why didnt you put a nutsert in? Would have given it more of a grip surface. Plus i think they look better (not that anyone will see it mounted)
I have nurserts and a nursert tool. However, being this is brittle fiberglass, if I tried to crimp it in there without a washer behind it, it would just crack the fiberglass and pull out. The best way to repair it was the way I did. I have a lot of experience with fiberglass and carbon so I know what I can snd can’t get away with. Not trying to undermine you by any means, but looking at how it’s made, crimping a nut in did look like it would hold.
What did was rough up the cavity the nut was in. Then I cut a groove all around the hole. I sanded the nuts with 36 grit, then took a dremel and cut a groove all the way around, the epoxy now has a much better chance of holding it vs holding a smooth, shiney stainless nut like it had.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh i wasnt trying to say actually crimp the nutsert. Just use it in the same manner you did.
Gotcha. I had thought about that too. I didn’t have metric thread to match the front inserts either.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Ooh that’s pwetty.
Not sure if it’s the angle, brake dust or me but the front wheels look darker and they look mo betta

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ooh that’s pwetty.
Not sure if it’s the angle, brake dust or me but the front wheels look darker and they look mo betta
The sun was casting a shadow. But you think i should make them darker? I thought about putting black wheels on it......

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You did a good job on this build, it looks fantastic.
Hey, thanks. This car has gone further than i intended to be honest. Short story.....
So i sold two of my 4 wheelers. Had 10 grand cash to spend. I wanted a 4th gen camaro, and turbo it. Couldnt find one. Came across this car, super clean but soaked up most of my budget, so I gave up on the turbo idea....untill i went to the track the first time and line up against a 3rd gen v6 turbo trans am. I got waxed. Thats all it took, less than a month i was building a turbo kit. then all down hill from there. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts