LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Member +145mph club
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it sucks to be me (But things are looking up)

During previous week I noticed some strange behavior in the Goat, for one I stalled it twice for the first time since I bought it, and some hard shifting.

Saturday I was on a summer cruise with my car club, we went on a convoy south to have lunch and enjoy the great weather. While on the cruise I noticed shifting to 5th and 6th was very difficult, the synchromesh didn't want to line up the gears. By the end of the 30 mile cruise I noticed most gears didn't want to allow a down shift without double clutching or bumping the throttle, the synchromesh needed some large help. When I got home I tested the grab point on my clutch my using the emergency brake and slowly letting the clutch up from the floor. The clutch grabbed about an inch from the floor, the grab point had moved between one and two inches toward the floor.

Took the car to the dealership today.
Well it sucks to be me. The clutch on the Goat is wasteland. Dealership bitched because of excessive wear on tires. The mechanic only looked at the driver side. If he had looked at the passenger side he would have realized that I'm not doing burnout’s. I'm running the car on rally racetracks. And of course, (most turning is to the right, loading the weight on the left) on a clockwise track. Anyway they are doing me a special one time only favor and going to replace the clutch under warrantee next week. I was told it would take 3 days I hope that’s all it takes.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Special One Time Only? BS This is a documented issue. It sounds like your bolts are loosening up. If they give you any greif, call Pontiac and ask them to set you up with a service department because yours is being uncoropitive. They will find you a place to get the car fixed and put a black mark on the "bad" dealers record.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
That!

cjlannoy said:
I wouldn't mention anything about running on race tracks though if you want things fixed under waranty
THAT is a BIG 10-4. Don't EVER mention racing the car. Related Warranties go BOOM! :eek:

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Yeah, i don't care if you have dial in numbers on your car or a big #3 and some sponsors. I would Never tell the dealer you race the car.

Thats good they will fix it. Still under warranty even if you drive the piss out of your goat :D

·
got rice?
480 Posts
sxty8goats said:
Special One Time Only? BS This is a documented issue. It sounds like your bolts are loosening up. If they give you any greif, call Pontiac and ask them to set you up with a service department because yours is being uncoropitive. They will find you a place to get the car fixed and put a black mark on the "bad" dealers record.
I agree with sxty8goats. Call pontiac if they give you any s^*@t. If a dealer can get out of paying for your car they'll find any excuse. I've had the warranty on my Cobra voided becsuase of subframes... SUBFRAMES!!!!

This is America and if someone can blame someone else to relieve themselves of responsability then most likely they'll do it. :mad: Why do you think we have so many lawsuits in this country. I do love America though. Good luck with your goat.

-XFordMan

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
they put ls1's in our cars but they don't expect you to drive them hard.

who buys GTO's anyway? grandmothers?

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
desertgoat said:
they put ls1's in our cars but they don't expect you to drive them hard. who buys GTO's anyway? grandmothers?
They put 500hp monster V-10 in the Viper and i bet they would bitch if the same thing happened to it (Blown Clutch). I just think some dealers should be shot and the good dealers commended. Rotten dealers are the ones that see only the car your buying now and the money they can make now! Good dealers are the ones that see you as a life long customer who may buy 5-10 vehicles over time.

·
Registered
980 Posts
2004Goat said:
I've had the warranty on my Cobra voided becsuase of subframes... SUBFRAMES!!!!
Dealers that do support mods are out there, just make some queries. I had much dont to my 02 Monte Carlo SS: CAI, Flowmasters, Resonator removed, Eibach Springs... My service manager loved my car as well as their top mechanic, who was the only one the SM would let work on my car. They actually placed a call to Chevy engineers to see if they could get a special PCM load to compensate for my added air and reduced back pressure! No luck, but I thought it was way too cool of them to try!

NEVER did the issue of a voided warranty come up. Of course I strictly used them for my service and they even did some after warranty work for me. I am seriously considering returning to them because my Pontiac service dept has seriously not impressed me. Whenever I needed a part from my Chevy service dealer it would arrive well within a week.

Good luck to all with this!
_DM

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Warranty is at the discretion of the mechanic pretty much, any work is alright for the service writter. I have heard GM awards dealerships in a region for keeping warranty claims at the lowest compared to other dealers. But I know a former service manager from Z frank chevy and said volume of warranty claims doesn't matter to GM.

And a mechanic would not want to do a clutch under warranty for say 4 hours that will take half a day if not more. Cause he will hypotetically only make 6.4 hours for the day when the guy next to him made 15 hours doing customer pay work. Thats why paying technicians flat rate book time is crap. Either customers get treated like crap or a technican starves himself and fixes every warranty problem making the customer loyal. So by the company paying lousy warranty times they know mechanics are not gonna want do warranty work.

Theirs no such thing as voiding a warranty, just shops not honoring a warranty.

·
Member +145mph club
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dropped car off at the Dealership today. The service writer said should be done by Wednesday. I’m looking forward to driving the Goat again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts