LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The good news is, the dealer said theres nothing wrong with my tranny and its most likely the servos breaking in, the tech went through all the tests to check the tranny and passed all of them (Also found out he used to do some pro stock driving, so i think he might know what hes talking about). they also checked the tranny fluid level and topped it off, and i have documentation stating that i thought there was a problem just in case there ever becomes a problem and they say "Why didnt you have this looked at before?" And i dont know what, but its shifting fine... wonder if the fluid was lower then they told me....
Now for the bad news.... keep in mind now that I bought an extended bumper to bumper.... I asked the tech what he thought about the CAGS eliminator and a short throw shifter. with the CAGS he said personally he thinks that it was the biggest peice of s**t thing GM has ever done and he sees nothing wrong with it and has serviced trannys with 200K that have the eliminator installed and the eliminator never gave the tranny any problems, but... BUT he said that his service manager DOES NOT like to see them and if he sees one on, he'll deny the work... so my guy said just take it off, or give him the heads up so he can take it of pronto... oh but wait... THERES MORE... I asked him about the short throw shifter and he said that, that is another mod that his service manager DOES NOT like.. he said that if something goes wrong, that they might fix it the first time, but if it happens again, they'll deny the claim. now he did say that the firehawks and SS's did have short throws installed by SLP and those were covered, so he said that if SLP makes one and I have SLP put it on (but i cant cause they closed their install center) or have them put it on, then i'll be ok.... the problem is that SLP dont make one for the GTO.... so i guess i wount be getting a short throw anytime soon....URGH......
Cant wait to see what they say when they see i put on the K&N filtercharger!

·
2004 Pontiac GTO
167 Posts
Good news about the trans being ok!

Take the car to a different dealer, such as Village Pontiac...they "don't see" modifications as a warranty issue :)

A short throw shifter should not void the warranty on any car. That is ridiculous. I could see the skip shift eliminator possibly causing computer issues, but a metal shifter rod?? Come on now.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Quicksilver said:
Good news about the trans being ok!

Take the car to a different dealer, such as Village Pontiac...they "don't see" modifications as a warranty issue :)

A short throw shifter should not void the warranty on any car. That is ridiculous. I could see the skip shift eliminator possibly causing computer issues, but a metal shifter rod?? Come on now.
Def find a different dealer. There are lots of dealers out there that will "look the other way" when it comes to small mods like a skip shift eliminator and a short throw..

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Sounds like the service manager has a personal problem. He must like slow automatic cars!!!

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
i would take it to diffferent dealer. that is STUPID.
i dont see why a short shifter should give any warranty problems. if the shifter HELPS to ensure that you in the correct gear and not over rev the engine, isn't that a good thing? i guess the SM could argue that the reason you installed a short shifter is for racing purposes and such. but that is still a stretch.
i would find a new dealer and talk to the SM before you do any major mods. JMO.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
GTODriver7 -

The problem is that both the CAGS-eliminator and the short-throw encourage performance driving, and with a car like a GTO, we just can't have that. :bs:

I'm with everyone else, find a different dealer.

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
phobos512 said:
GTODriver7 -

The problem is that both the CAGS-eliminator and the short-throw encourage performance driving, and with a car like a GTO, we just can't have that. :bs:

I'm with everyone else, find a different dealer.
What if you got the SLP CAGS Eliminator?? You could even have them install it along with anything else. It does seem dumb on the service managers part. I would never think a dealer would try so hard to not service a vehicle for such minor mods, it's not like they are paying for the repairs.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well your dealer sounds like my dealer.

Phobos be careful with mods and Bud Eyre as they were just like GotzaGTO's dealer with my GTP.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
I hope you guys learned your lesson.

How dare you defeat a mechanism designed to improve gas mileage?

How dare you guys buy a manual transmission car?

Next time, buy an A4 and drive like a grandma!!!!!

Sorry to say but I am 100% with the service manager on this. GTO's are not performance cars. They are designed to move you from point A to point B, period.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Razinhell said:
What if you got the SLP CAGS Eliminator?? You could even have them install it along with anything else. It does seem dumb on the service managers part. I would never think a dealer would try so hard to not service a vehicle for such minor mods, it's not like they are paying for the repairs.

Perhaps they might be - paying for it , that is. Apparently GM has been putting pressure on their dealers to reduce warranty costs. When the steering box on my '03 Denali failed at 12,000 miles, the service manager tried to blame the failure on the 18" rims and tires I had installed, saying that GM " Would make him eat the steering box" if they knew that the car had non-stock wheels and tires.

I bought my GTO from a different dealer; one that friends told me was not into abusing their customers. Some dealers get it, some don't.

·
2004 Pontiac GTO
167 Posts
"Sorry to say but I am 100% with the service manager on this. GTO's are not performance cars. They are designed to move you from point A to point B, period."

You are joking...right? A 350ci LS1 V8 with 350hp/365tq, M6, true dual exhaust & RWD are not performance car pieces? Pontiac sure is positioning the GTO as their newest "performance" car. Have you heard or seen their ads? :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Gotza...which dealer are you speaking of? I live in the area and had horrible problems with them in terms of my Grand Am. One of the advisors told me they could deny a claim pertaining to the LIM gaskets because, "You have a bunch of aftermarket gauges and that intake." Tell me how that works? I am probably gonna be in the market for a GTO REAL soon, and Community already screwed me around when looking last week. I am gonna head to Dan Wolf and see how they are...Though service at Village might be nice if they don't see any mods...;)

Brett

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Quicksilver said:
"Sorry to say but I am 100% with the service manager on this. GTO's are not performance cars. They are designed to move you from point A to point B, period."

You are joking...right? A 350ci LS1 V8 with 350hp/365tq, M6, true dual exhaust & RWD are not performance car pieces? Pontiac sure is positioning the GTO as their newest "performance" car. Have you heard or seen their ads? :)
yes, im sure this was pure sarcasm. DG is a pretty saracastic guy when he wants to be ;).

i hope that my extended warranty treats me better then factory one

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
you must be a newbie

Quicksilver said:

You obviously don't know my style here. Of course I was joking. My goat was delivered to me on June 17th. It sat in my garage overnight. Most people would get in the car and drive it immediately. I didn't. Iput it up on jack stands and installed my CAGS eliminator even before I had a chance to drive it. Three weeks later, i was probably one of the first few members here to order a short throw kit from Australia.

Of course they are performance cars. They are nothing BUT performance. Couldn't care less about the looks.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, i think you all are right... im going to try bill kay in Downers Grove cause I work there and it would be easy to drop her off before or after work, and BTLew81.... it was community... its funny though cause your not the first person to tell me that they screwed them, but this is the fourth car i bought from them and this is the first time that they have given me crap... its a shame cause the sales rep i work with there always is great to me and finds me the most discounts he can i.e. i got a staying with gm car discount and cause my old man has a toyota, i got a going from import to domestic discount. I would recomend not getting your goat there if they have what you want on the lot... i know that sounds weird, but let me explain.... they have this "graffic and wheel package" that they forcibly offer on each car, cause all their stock has it, well the vinyl graffics package is $675 which is over marked 300%, ive delt with vinyl alot in the past and its not worth that much and second the wheels are nice but way over priced too. they didnt have what i wanted so they got mine from mike haggerty pontiac in villa park, and when it came in they offered the two "packages" and i said sure if they throw it in, and all i got was a chuckle.... so i opted for no. so i think that this might be my last car from them. and i ordered the slp CAGS eliminator cause my pfyc.com one fried out. thanks for the advice guys!

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey BTLew81, forgot to ask... PM me and let me know where your at, when u get your goat, i think we'll be the only two in this area, got to go crusin and crushin all of the ricer kiddies around us.

·
I used ta could
514 Posts
desertgoat said:
You obviously don't know my style here. Of course I was joking. My goat was delivered to me on June 17th. It sat in my garage overnight. Most people would get in the car and drive it immediately. I didn't. Iput it up on jack stands and installed my CAGS eliminator even before I had a chance to drive it.
I am not sure what a Q Tee is, but I had mine installed by the dealer before I picked it up, (on the Q Tee).

·
2004 Pontiac GTO
167 Posts
"On the Q T" = "On the quiet tip"...similar to "On the down low".
It's a black thing...I guess, and NO, I am not - just have heard the phrase many times! :)

Desertgoat - I have finally met my match! And here I thought I was the most sarcastic person on this earth...very nice to meet you :rolleyes:

·
Registered
276 Posts
servos in a manual transmission??!? wtf? the tech at the dealer doesn't know the difference between an auto and a manual..GO SOMEPLACE ELSE

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
I bought my GTO from Bill Kay, they are alright, sales manager tried to play games and sell me the wheels, and I told what I was willing to pay and what my trade in is worth or I abondon ship. Course I had it all planned and went in April 25th. knowing they will probley do anything possible to sell me a car before EOM;)

I tried to buy a GTO before christmas, they had a few at village. But they laughed at me when I said GMS.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts