LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally went to the track and made some passes.My results were so so.
60' 2.327
330 5.830
1/8 8.797
1/8 mph 83.58
1000 11.323
1/4 13.463
mph 105.56

I spun every time i tried to leave at all,the only time I could leave is to let out the clutch then nail it.As soon as I shift 2nd spin out of control and the way into third and sometimes 4th.Two runs were at 92 and 52 mph because I was crossed up so bad I had to finally just shut down.Overall it's what I expected for this heavy turd but at the same time theres a lot more there.I logged 2 runs and had 6-8 degrees retard as soon as the car went into open loop and didn't let up until I did.My 60s were terrible but It's my first manual at the track and no traction at all.With those MPH I figured the car is putting down about 360 or so RWHP which is actually good to break into the 12s but with the traction issue in my 60' and way beyond I know my mph should have actually been higher but thats the way thing go.I had three 105.*** runs all day spinning each time so at least my skating was consistant.I need a tune,some good cold air induction and a set of tires and maybe I will feel a little better about my results.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Sounds like the main thing you need is tires and figure out some way to hook up. The traps indicate good horsepower. You've got a 12-second car easy with traction and a good launch. Good luck.

Padre

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Padre,How did you ever get those 60's?This car is a sled.I love my car but I can now see why everyones times are critisized by the F-body community.It was the most silly car I have ever raced in my life.All my old drag cars were autos though.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Bone said:
Thanks Padre,How did you ever get those 60's?This car is a sled.I love my car but I can now see why everyones times are critisized by the F-body community.It was the most silly car I have ever raced in my life.All my old drag cars were autos though.
That's it. Automatics. We don't have the wheel-hop problem. And I'm serious when I tell you that I got my 1.7's by just "rolling into it" kind of like the crotch-rockets do. But once I get my drag radials and lightweight rims I'll be 1.5-6 easy with a brake-stall launch (I hope).

But talk to some of the M6 guys like nikivee - you still won't be able to match my 60's, but you'll cut it down considerably to 1.9's or so and get your 12-second slip.

Padre

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had one 2.032 60' but on that run on the 2-3 shift the tires went ablaze and only went 95 mph.I thought I was on a good run till that shift then all hopes went away.No matter how I left,either the tires went up or the car bogged.Just a no win situation today at this track with these variables but theres always tomorrow.I think power shifting a manual car at 6800 with stock tires is just a recipe for exactly what happened.Anyway thanks
Anthony

·
I...I...I got Nothin
961 Posts
Yeah, I'm not going anywhere near the track again until I get this wheel hop ironed out. There where a couple of times that the car "skipped" sideways it was so bad.

Also having to shift into 4th just before the traps didn't help me either.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
Dang Anthony. With a 2.0 short time, easy 12's as is. Need to work on that launch.
Wish I would have been home as I'm itching to see what my 200 mile car will do :) But we've been down in FL riding out Hurrican Jeanne. At least no damage.

Maybe we can shoot over there this weekend or next. I gotta get a baseline and then start modding :D

·
I...I...I got Nothin
961 Posts
Yeah, it was cool hanging out there on Saturday. I got alot of runs in and did see my times improve.

Thanks for the invite Bone.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Bone said:
60' 2.327
330 5.830
1/8 8.797
1/8 mph 83.58
1000 11.323
1/4 13.463
mph 105.56
I.
Holy crap! You ran a 13.46 with that ugly 60' time. Yeah, I would say there
is a lot left in her. Nice job considering. :)

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Well, a good starting ground anyways. The car is trapping like it should and my guess is that you re in the mid 350-360whp range. Get some drag radials. I don't "think" I'm going to go again unless I have them.

·
10 sec club
471 Posts
Bone said:
60' 2.327
330 5.830
1/8 8.797
1/8 mph 83.58
1000 11.323
1/4 13.463
mph 105.56
Not too shabby!

Get that 60' time down and you'll probably see high 12's... :cool:

I wanted to go this weekend & run you
(would've made a nice video... ;) ),
but I had other plans... :gr_devil:

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Guys.I had A guy look at the tune last night and like all these GTOs timing and PE tables were a mess so we worked on them last night a little.Gonna try to tune on the dyno this weekend so we can get this thing running a little better.Car was way lean before 4300 and fat after that so it was pulling timing up front and not even close to enough later.

2edy- yes it was fun and nice meeting you but I turned my back and you were gone.What happened?

Rob-I'm getting some Nittos or BFGs this week so whenever you want to go.I refuse to go on these tires again.

goatwrx- a sled because this thing is so hard to launch with all the weight and those tires.I was a little mad cause with these tires and the track conditions it felt like I was just wasting my time and hitting the rev limiter at 6800 when the tires go up all for nothing.SILLY because I have driven cars in the 10s and never had that hard of a time getting down a track

Angus- I was hoping you would have been there.Either you could have laughed at me or helped,one of the two.

·
10 sec club
471 Posts
Bone said:
Angus- I was hoping you would have been there.Either you could have laughed at me or helped,one of the two.
I would have helped you out.

Arguing on the internet is one thing, but if you're trying to get it done in the 1/4 I'd give you what assistance I could... :cool:

I don't know the ins-and-outs of running a new GTO down the track,
but I'm sure I could offer some more general tips. ;)

Maybe weekend after next you'll try again with better results. :)

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That sounds like good timing for me.Two weeks should have me in good shape.There were almost no Stangs there the other day,it felt like nostalgia day with mostly GM and MOPAR with a bunch of RICE

·
I...I...I got Nothin
961 Posts
Sorry about that.

I just turned right at the end pits and headed out. When are you going to get your Goat tuned? I would like someone to take a look at mine as well.

·
10 sec club
471 Posts
I just re-read your original post and your 105 mph trap speed looks a little low for what you have done to the car.

Maybe I'm being too optomistic, but if a stock GTO can trap 103 - 104+ shouldn't your car with exhaust/cam/headers/etc trap 107 - 108?

As an example (but NOT to start a flame war...) '03/'04 Cobras (which weigh only 75 lbs or so less than the GTO) put down ~ 360 - 380 rwhp & they trap 109 - 111 mph or so.

In all my drag-racing experience BTW, the higher the 60' time,
the higher the mph as well.

Any insight???

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mycar wieghs almost 4000 with driver so I don't think the cobras are there.I did say I had traction loss the entire run and every run didn't I?And finally,Higher 60'-higher mph?The faster you get out of the hole the faster MPH you will have at top end traction permitting.That is unless you run out of motor on top due to gearing or just the fact of lack of cubes.I did tell you I wasn't that happy about the day also.But If you do a HP calculater using 3900lbs/106 mph you will come up wth roughly 363 at the wheels,so using that,max et Should be 12.80-12.90 on a good day.Thats with a good driver and traction and I had niether.I'll be the first to rag on myself and car but first time out witha stick and 106 aint bad.Did I say 2EDYBRD was there the same day witha stock M6 and only mph 95+-.Track conditions and other variables also have a lot to do with this also.95 -98 is normal.104 is totally not normal for these cars stock.It's hard to compare GTOs and Mustangs for me because of the wieght.A lot of people don't understand the affects of wieght on MPH.For example:there was a 99-2000 f body there that day also.Bolt ons only with wieght reduction down to 3300 with driver running 12.20s.Wieght Wieght wieght.

·
10 sec club
471 Posts
Calm-down... just asking some questions to end my own confusion. :)

Bone said:
Mycar wieghs almost 4000 with driver so I don't think the cobras are there.
Cobras are right at 3650 lbs or so without driver, and the GTO 6-spd weighs 3725 lbs right?

Or am I off on the GTO weight?

Bone said:
And finally,Higher 60'-higher mph?The faster you get out of the hole the faster MPH you will have at top end traction permitting.
From what I understand, the answer to that question is "Yes & No."
Trap speed isn't determined by how fast you're travelling when you cross the traps (as your speedo would read),
but is calculated by your car passing two points on the track.

So, if your 60' time is very bad, mph can be higher due to the way trap speed is calculated.
Bring your 60' time down & mph will come down as well to a point before stabilizing then climbing again.
(Maybe I'm explaining it wrong, but I HAVE seen this in person at the strip - even on my own time slips - numerous times...)

Bone said:
104 is totally not normal for these cars stock.
So the 97 - 100 mph I have seen for the GTO is more typical?

I've been told (repeatedly) that such a low mph (along with a high ET) is typical of first-time driver-ability,
not the actual potential of the GTO.

Bone said:
It's hard to compare GTOs and Mustangs for me because of the wieght.A lot of people don't understand the affects of wieght on MPH.For example:there was a 99-2000 f body there that day also.Bolt ons only with wieght reduction down to 3300 with driver running 12.20s.Wieght Wieght wieght.
I fully understand the effect weight has on mph/ET - that's why I used the '03/'04 Cobra for comparison.
Similar weight/rwhp should = similar trap speeds.

This is the whole reason I'm puzzled by your trap speeds...

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tune,Tires,Driver.END

1 - 20 of 42 Posts