LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up a silver A4 GTO this afternoon and have a wet NX kit and a dry NOS kit sitting in the garage. Which one should I install? Does anbody know what size injectors are in the GTOs? JT

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
I would not do a Dry Kit. Maybe a 75 shout would be fine. You are relying on the computer to compensate by adding fuel, something the LS1's do not do well. The MAF does not accuratly read and the computer does not compensate enough (usually). I would go with a wet kit. 150 shot would do it :) I'd get a fuel pressure gauge to see if the stock fuel pump is keeping up.

·
Registered
163 Posts
From what I've read in the past, always run wet unless you have a fuel system set up specifically for juice. It's too risky to count on stock fuel system to keep the mix rich enough to prevent a hole in the piston.....

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Venom likes ricers, because that is all the applications they seem to make them for.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Well, from what i've heard wet is the way to go. Here is why....

safer than dry
gives better power results

Those are enough for me. Wet kit with upgraded fuel pump and you are in business. Dry kit you need plugs, wires, access to manifold or intake, and the results vary.

Check out the fbody forums on Nitrous. Everybody has opinions but one thing is for sure. THe LS1 loves the juice :hail: Some people may think N2O is "ricey" but for the results this is the cheapest power adder and only real option for high compresion motors. If you want to smack around 03 Cobras this will get it done.

·
Registered
541 Posts
PadreGTO said:
Great minds think alike. :secret: :D

What I want is this: the Venom Performance VCN-2000, but they don't seem to make them yet for the LS1 or the Goats.

Padre
Holy Toledo!! (Sorry Padre) On the Venom web site, if you click the Products link, there is a picture of an Ecotech manifold and the description appears to be in Latin.
I think I'm in the Twilight Zone??!?!!?! What th....????!!!?!! The rest of the page is in English. "Alle Gallia in tres partes divisa est...?

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
1stChildhood said:
Holy Toledo!! (Sorry Padre) On the Venom web site, if you click the Products link, there is a picture of an Ecotech manifold and the description appears to be in Latin.
I think I'm in the Twilight Zone??!?!!?! What th....????!!!?!! The rest of the page is in English. "Alle Gallia in tres partes divisa est...?
Hahaha that's funny... that text is from something I no longer remember, but is used by many web template creators to fill "content." I think you just caught an oops!

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Does anyone know who makes the best wet NOS kit for the GTO/LS1? It is the bang for the buck as long as they can be reliable and from what I heard the wet kits are pretty darn reliable!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Doc GTO said:
Does anyone know who makes the best wet NOS kit for the GTO/LS1? It is the bang for the buck as long as they can be reliable and from what I heard the wet kits are pretty darn reliable!
Furthermore, can someone recommend a link to some N2O basic information? Until this thread I had never heard of "wet" nitrous...all I knew was spraying into the manifold.... need to be enlightened. Thank you

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Basically a wet kit sprays fuel in with the nitrous. A dry kit only sprays nitrous. I had good luck with a 5177 NOS kit with my 98 Trans Am. I did have a 30# set of injectors, MAF translator, Timing Tuner, scanmaster, NGK tr55 plugs and good wires. I was running 13.0s on motor and 11.40s on spray. I think the GTO is going to get the NX wet kit. I'd like to run in NSCAs EFI class at a few events coming up. I'd be happy with 12.0s- the most fun you can have in organized racing (NHRA track) without a cage. JT

·
Registered
588 Posts
N2OLS1GTO said:
I am picking up a silver A4 GTO this afternoon and have a wet NX kit and a dry NOS kit sitting in the garage. Which one should I install? Does anbody know what size injectors are in the GTOs? JT

I would Go Wet on the Goat. (No pun intended...)

I have used both over the years and Wet has always been more reliable for most applications. I installed my first plate system in 1986, and my first EFI system in 1995. I have used NOS, Edelbrock and NX (Nitrous Express) and I like the NX kits the best. They seem to have their act together on every aspect from nozzles to installation instructions. As with anything, moderation is key when you squeeze your car.

We sold our first two NX Stage 1 kits for the GTO over the weekend. One opted for the additional Gen-X kit with the Bottle Heater, pressure gauge, blow-off valve, etc. Let us know if we can help or if you have any questions.

Nitrous Express

I believe the OE injectors are Bosch 22lb, but I would need to double check to be certain.

Jim

·
Registered
588 Posts
1stChildhood said:
Furthermore, can someone recommend a link to some N2O basic information? Until this thread I had never heard of "wet" nitrous...all I knew was spraying into the manifold.... need to be enlightened. Thank you
I don't know of a link, but I can expand on what N2OLS1GTO was referring to and share some details.

A Dry system for the GTO typically injects N2O-only into the air intake, relying on an EFI system upgrade to increase the duty cycle of the injectors, as well increasing fuel flow/pressure when the system is activated.

On the GTO, I will bet that most Nitrous candidates buy a Wet intake system. This system typically uses a Y-shaped spray nozzle to inject a combination of N2O and fuel into the air intake. The incremental fuel delivery is controlled by metering jets. This is a very good, cost-effective system.

There is also a Wet Direct Port GTO kit from NX that we carry for the enthusiast who wants the ultimate Wet system. It is a Wet Direct Port System that injects N2O & additional fuel right under the injectors. This is a state-of-the-art kit that includes fuel rails with integrated solenoids, as well as a plug-and-play wiring harness. Installation is actually easy, with no drilling.

I hope that helps.

Jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jim, I did an install of a BG Nitrous Works LS1 kit (13075) onto an 04 GTO for High Performance Pontiac magazine. The story will be published in an upcoming issue. The only issue we had with installation was that the supplied 10-foot 4-AN line wasn't long enough. It just wasn't possible to put the nitrous bottle in the far right corner of the trunk and still have room to remove the bottle for refill; etc. We ended up installing it on the spare tire cover. We used a small 2 foot extension coming off the bottle to get the length we needed. Don't be surprised if customers come back saying the nitrous lines are too short. I informed BG and they will be working on packaging an 04 GTO kit with the longer line. You might want to communicate with the NX boys in Wichita Falls. With that said, it might be possible to put the bottle in the far right trunk corner but you will need the gymnastic ability of Mary Lou Retto to install (and still you may damage something trying to wiggle it out).

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thanks for the info. Ironically, I addressed this with NX already and they have increased their line from 14' to 16' to be safe. I truly do appreciate this kind of information. If a manufacturer fails to catch this, I end up lookig like the bad guy since I am the retailer...

Thanks again!

Jim

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
There is also a Wet Direct Port GTO kit from NX that we carry for the enthusiast who wants the ultimate Wet system. It is a Wet Direct Port System that injects N2O & additional fuel right under the injectors. This is a state-of-the-art kit that includes fuel rails with integrated solenoids, as well as a plug-and-play wiring harness. Installation is actually easy, with no drilling.

I hope that helps.

Jim[/QUOTE]

Jim,

What does a system like this cost installed and what kind of power???

·
Registered
588 Posts
The systems run @ $1200-1500 depending on your accessories and where you buy it. Installation time varies from DIY to Professional. I will follow up with NX on the install time. I special order the kits for $1200.00...

·
Banned
915 Posts
This the best post I found so far on N20. Maybe someone who knows his stuff can put this thread up to date. If you can do it having in mind that most of us know nothing about this but are able to understand and learn, all the better. Occasional use of this oxide thing could be a lot of fun.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts