LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Administrator
18,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, working from home is apparently going to be my "new normal". I'm a few hours in. I get the benefits -- less commute, wardrobe optional, Imma has another box of Oreos for lunch, etc. -- but... I CAN HAS COMMUNICAYSHUNZ, plzthnx.

·
Administrator
8,294 Posts
I’ve been working from home since 2011, so this is nothing new at all for me, but yeah, I’m starting to hear the new normal for a lot of people is going to be working from home.

Already know 2 people who’s respective companies have officially closed their offices for good.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I might be given the option to work from home as much as I want but it seems that won't be offered to the rest of the people on my team. Kind of shitty since I can't do everything from home so someone in the office has to do the stuff I can't do. I'll certainly be making use of it from time to time, maybe even a day or two a week, but not all the time. As it is, the earliest we will be allowed back in the office is September, but if cases start spiking in MN again, I'm guessing that timeframe will be pushed back.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
612 Posts
The regional and national offices at my agency are starting their Phase 1 return to work later this month. I'm sure it'll be a gradual transition for a few months until everyone is mostly back to work. At my division, we've only had several people WFH full-time, and that's going to end this month. Those that were WFH on and off (including myself) will resume going to the plant every day.

·
Administrator
18,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is this WFH you speak of? I haven't missed a single second of in office work due to the Covidzzzzz.
I hadn't either. Then in May, "Oh, by the way, we terminated your lease. You can work from home, or drive downtown. kthnx."
I need the physical separation from work and home. I can't compartmentalize the stress otherwise.
Me too.
By next year office buildings will be cheap real estate.
Wanna bet?

·
DW can't take a J... or a D
2,363 Posts
I need the physical separation from work and home. I can't compartmentalize the stress otherwise.
Just need to set boundaries, time and space. I used to WFH full time a few years ago, loved it. Love doing it again. I wouldnt mind one day a week in the office just for face time with people, but going into the office is fucking useless.

·
Fake bacon lover
11,326 Posts
I'm not sure how I would classify my WFH status. I haven't had a actual office/cube with my name on it in 6 years. But I travel mostly for work, however, that's typically about 100 days a year I'm actually out of town. About twice a month I take a day trip to the corporate offices 2 hrs away.

Otherwise its right here at computer in the house. Key is having a nice home office set up. I'm very happy the house I bought has one.

The other fun part on the above, I don't really take vacation days just for a single Friday or mid day I need off. I just do it. Answer the phone when I need and if I need to get on the computer tell them, I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Man I don't know what its like NOT to have the stress follow you home regardless of where you office. My business is 24 hrs and I always have my phone, ready to answer the call. About 20 yrs ago the job I was in DID nearly give my panic attacks. Thankfully, my stress level is a lot lower now but I'm still 'on call' for support 24/7 - 365. I'll even answer on vacation. BUT - I tell who ever's calling straight up that I might not be giving the best advice as I'm in Vacay mode and possibly intoxicated and I don't have my laptop to look up information. But if its an easy question, I'll give an easy answer!

·
Fake bacon lover
11,326 Posts
I tell who ever's calling straight up that I might not be giving the best advice as I'm in Vacay mode and possibly intoxicated
This reminds me, when my wife and I were first dating we were out or on vacation and I had a call from a district about problem on a rig. She said I was completely LOADED and jabbering away talking shop to them. She told me this the next day, I barely remembered the late call. I wonder how THAT went! But that was maybe 10 yrs ago and I was never fired so apparently I told them what they needed to do. LOL

I'm sure you guys in 24/7 IT support have similar stories.

·
Born in a class 5 hurricane
11,490 Posts
Just need to set boundaries, time and space. I used to WFH full time a few years ago, loved it. Love doing it again. I wouldnt mind one day a week in the office just for face time with people, but going into the office is fucking useless.
I set up a home office when I bought this house many moons ago. I used it for a year or so, but I soon found myself in the living room with the Wi-Fi all the time. I just preferred being closer to the TV and the kitchen.. I eventually got a cheap Ikea desk for the living room that isn't too obtrusive. Maybe a bit unconventional, but it worked for me.

When the pandemic started, I brought all my office PC equipment home and set it up at the living room desk. I felt like I was in my work cubicle 24/7. I eventually moved it all back to my dormant home office. That worked for a while, but soon became like going into a prison cell every day.

·
Administrator
18,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
torrid's in my head. For me, the prison cell idea is real, except maybe more annoying, LOL. There's a glass door to the hallway, where wife/kids/dogs/burglars can look in and distract me 11ty times a day. MOTHERSMURFERS, I AM SOLVING THE WORLD'S GREAT REAL ESTATE QUESTIONS IN HERE!!!

·
Worthless Staff Mbr
57,413 Posts
I've been working from since about St Patrick's Day, no plans to go back to the office yet. I do go in Wednesday and Friday for an hour or two just to check mail and get mail out, but other than that I work from my couch.

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,482 Posts
Been 106 days since I was sent home, dropped in maybe 3 times for 2 hours or less. I don't do good with the separation of home and work with this situation. Too many things need to be done at home and the kids and/or dogs always are dropping in for attention. Also our office/extra bedroom got turned in to a nursery as this started to happen. The desk got moved to the sitting room, which is part of the master bedroom. Better view than at my office, but the computer is always right there when winding down for the night and when i wake up. Also as my group's manager, I feel like I need to be available for my team. Leads to a lot of checking email even once 8 hours have been logged. The work cell phone buzzes 7:00 am to 8:00 pm.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,810 Posts
I pretty much go the office about 2 days a week depending on what's on that week. or what's on at the house if wifey has to do school work. LIke next week.

Otherwise I'm glad we bought a larger house - and I have an upstairs room for seperation.

Also glad I spring for the higher speed internets oh and yes I am writing that off on my taxes this year.

without the cap and with more than 200mbps coming down I don't have too many issues that aren't on the other side. I will say I seems to have killed my router but I find they only really last me 3 years anyway. So I'm looking for some new kit and might homebrew one. but top of the list is some Ubiquity equipment, specifically their access points of which I will use 2.

Otherwise - work laptop - on cable - upstairs works very well. Webex and teams seem to work best for us - but that's a corporate thing.

But I do find I enjoy my day at the office - more so than I thought I would. I can focus more - most of that is due to kids at home but even if nobody was here - I would focus more.

·
Worthless Staff Mbr
57,413 Posts
Today I took my laptop and worked in the park for three hours, until the heat got too much. I'm liking wfh.

·
HGH Optimist
8,011 Posts
but top of the list is some Ubiquity equipment, specifically their access points of which I will use 2.
I have a simple cable modem, with a few drops in the upstairs bedrooms. I also have the Ubiquity Pro access point for the whole house, and I'm glad I got it. There are only a couple spots in the house that have weak connections, now.

If I had another one downstairs, I'm almost certain that the signal would reach the damn street. lol

·
Administrator
18,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm trying to convince myself that WFH will be similar to vacation. As soon as I get done being pissed off about corporate not paying for space, or wifi, or a phone, or a printer, I might be able to stop pouting.

·
Worthless Staff Mbr
57,413 Posts
I'm trying to convince myself that WFH will be similar to vacation. As soon as I get done being pissed off about corporate not paying for space, or wifi, or a phone, or a printer, I might be able to stop pouting.
That's pretty much how I'm treating mine since I don't stay busy 24/7 during my work day. Work didn't pay for any of my stuff either, but they've been really good buying us anything else we need. I went through my printer toner, they bought and sent me two extra to my home. Any other office supplies we need they have offered to buy us or told us we can go in to the office and take them home.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts