LS1GTO.com Forums banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Born in a class 5 hurricane
11,490 Posts
Even without a college degree, there is probably a higher potential financial upside to running your own business instead of working for someone else with your engineering degree.

·
HGH Optimist
8,011 Posts
This count as WFH?
View attachment 503665
Hadn't ran an excavator or backhoe in probably 20 years. Came back really quick. My Uncles and Dad had a long Facebook conversation about how the whole family was born to be equipment operators and seemed really excited to see me doing this. Grandfather was a general contractor. My Dad was a GC who did custom houses but mainly concrete the last 20 years of his career. Two uncles are GCs that do earth moving, mainly all the grading and utility installation at the beginning of a job. One cousin is GC on his own now. Another cousin is an electrician. We know our family in Scotland was stone masons and built a few churches that are still there. Always thought I would just take over my Dad's business when I was growing up. When I started looking at colleges he told me "there's no way in hell you're going in to construction." 16 years in to being an engineer, been an interesting weekend thinking about "what if I had followed the family business?"
I'ma be real with you...

I straight-up thought you were building a damn driveway to another playhouse at the top right.

Reactions: VGT and Andrea

·
Registered Winner
7,224 Posts
My retirement plans include a new (to me) dually, enclosed skid steer (190HP or better), grinding attachment, bucket, forks, grapple bucket (and other assorted implements), and a dump trailer that can fit the machine and what I need into it. Hitting the same diesel fuel spot and getting a cup of coffee should be the most stressful part of my day.

When the construction business was bad when I was much younger, I was always hustling with the company equipment. Ironically, the most money I made was clearing out 5 coops worth of dead chickens from Sanderson Farms once. It was SO disgusting.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,810 Posts
I would venture to say that there's going to be a ton of skilled labor jobs coming back in the future that will pay better than ever.

Most kids today don't want to do jack shit, so demand will go up.

I really want my first daughter to be a mechanic, plumber or electrician. I think she might end up with the ability if she can focus on something. She wants to try - at age 5. but 4 minutes later it's time for something else.

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,482 Posts
Even without a college degree, there is probably a higher potential financial upside to running your own business instead of working for someone else with your engineering degree.
There's been a lot of "What Ifs?" for my career the past few months. Really like where I am though. Three months ago, the private engineering firm I interned with, and they wanted me to come on full time with, just sold for $120 million. They were just starting out when I interned and now are 20 people. Would've been a nice pay day, but didn't want to pay the SoCal tax (housing costs, living costs, and taxes) to work there. Often have thought about going the General Contractor route. Between remodeling the previous house, all the stuff I've done in the past, I really think I'd like building custom homes or flipping houses. Just don't know if I'd have the stomach for the uncertainty.

My Uncle has nothing past high school, has his own construction company. His rental industrial buildings makes his construction company no longer needed, but he keeps it going to help out the guys who have worked for him for 20+ years. He basically works on restoring cars during the midday and meets his crew in the morning and afternoon. Other than that he signs checks. Hard to get to that point, but he has it good.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts