LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
street terrorist
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like porting/polishing/descreening MAF? Are there write ups or how-to's for these?

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
Pull the MAF screen at your own risk. Don't Port it.

You can port/polish the TB and make a Cold Air Filter for little money.

·
Yellowjacketfever
479 Posts
if you pull out the screen it will void the warranty on the maf. if you still have warranty. doing these free mods proably will not make you any if little hp. i have done all these mods to my 04 and all i really have gotten is a maf with no warranty. but i did get better fuel mileage after.

·
Administrator
20,433 Posts
TB bypass, tb polish, cheap CAI intake like the hardcore
find a buddy to do some basic tuning on the cheap

·
Yellowjacketfever
479 Posts
don't know for sure but the people that do our tunning in okc. have told me that since i have done all those things we have mentioned plus tb bypass, they cannot do a tune as it will cause the engine to be to lean and possibly scorch the two back cylinders. as they are the last to recieve fuel. and are already leaned out some before you start. so i will not have my 04 tuned, i can't afford to pay for a new engine.

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
yellowjacketfever said:
don't know for sure but the people that do our tunning in okc. have told me that since i have done all those things we have mentioned plus tb bypass, they cannot do a tune as it will cause the engine to be to lean and possibly scorch the two back cylinders. as they are the last to recieve fuel. and are already leaned out some before you start. so i will not have my 04 tuned, i can't afford to pay for a new engine.
:huh:

A tuner will have no problem fattening up your A/F to the point were 7 & 8 will be safe. The stock tune is already fat on most cars to begin with.

I think you need to find a better tuner.

·
Yellowjacketfever
479 Posts
yea you might be right there dawson. the people in okc are all in aggreement on not to do it. but i think you could still get it tuned. my 04 still has a rich smell to it. you mentioned 7-8 a/f ratio. is that the lowest you can go before you have trouble. when it comes to the older cars i am pretty good at working and tunning them but these cars well, some of the same stuff still works but i don't know alot about the a/f ratio and it's limits. thanks alot. i just don't know anyone here in ok that will do a tune on my car. may have to go to tx to get it done.

·
Can't... stop... modding...
929 Posts
yellowjacketfever said:
Whoever told you that is a complete idiot.

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
yellowjacketfever said:
yea you might be right there dawson. the people in okc are all in aggreement on not to do it. but i think you could still get it tuned. my 04 still has a rich smell to it. you mentioned 7-8 a/f ratio. is that the lowest you can go before you have trouble. when it comes to the older cars i am pretty good at working and tunning them but these cars well, some of the same stuff still works but i don't know alot about the a/f ratio and it's limits. thanks alot. i just don't know anyone here in ok that will do a tune on my car. may have to go to tx to get it done.
7/8 meaning the Cylinders which tend to run lean. I run a 12:1 AF on mine but I have a maggie manifold. Some run a little fatter with the LS6 and LS2 manifolds.

·
Can't... stop... modding...
929 Posts
Forgot about the weight thing...

Do a search for weight reduction, and you'll find lists with weights of things you can remove from the car. My list's only "necessities" included the rear seats, front skid plate, and gas tank safety brace, but all the rest were things that I didn't need or care about. Removal came up to 152 lbs. It feels like no one is riding in the car, and accel and handling are improved.

·
DAE HAN MIN GOOK!!!
1,925 Posts
driver mod.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts