LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So I'm doing a complete rear end rebuild and am at the stages of bolting everything together. I want to make sure I have these bushings(?) oriented properly. What are they for? How do I orient them if I have them wrong? What torque spec is the bolt/nut?

The only thing I can think of is it helps locate the subframe off the unibody frame rail. It's located directly forward of the large subframe bushing holes.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Yeah I was gonna say, I tried to find it in the manual but was second guessing myself as to if this was the same part as your pictures but I think it is. Doesn't show that thing here

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I haven't seen anybody else really talk about them before. I have a pretty early 04 so I guess anything's possible? Doesn't look like they were added after the fact.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,068 Posts
They may be NVH ballast. G8s had similar "useless" weighs hanging off of their rear subframe for the sake of attenuating noise and vibration in the chassis.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This one is past me. What sort of an engineer would do something like this? Different sized rear axles, yes, but this is really foolish. It shows you what the auto companies think of you. Keep it quiet and dumb it down at any cost so the buyer does not think there is anything wrong with the car. Gees!

·
GR-RRR!
4,977 Posts
My Honda has something similar connected to the front strut towers. My old MR2 had a balancer type weight on the longer of the two axles coming out of the transaxle. On the MR2 it was there to help with torque steer (or maybe torque push is a better term since it was rear wheel drive). On the Honda they are there to eliminate vibrations felt up through the steering from the front suspension. Honestly, the GTO could have used something similar on the front suspension.

·
Administrator
8,098 Posts
You can remove them. From what I have seen, some very early build 04’s had them as leftover from early 2000’s Holden’s that used the same rear subframe. It’s actually pretty rare to see those.

They were for NVH.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can remove them. From what I have seen, some very early build 04’s had them as leftover from early 2000’s Holden’s that used the same rear subframe. It’s actually pretty rare to see those.

They were for NVH.
Yeah, mine is a pretty early 04. Built SEP03 IIRC

So who wants to buy my rare subframe and these 5oz. Nvh weights? 3k no low ballers
I know what I got!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts