LS1GTO Forums banner
81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Seriously?
2004 Pontiac GTO, LS1, 6 speed, Quicksilver/Black
2,346 Posts
front and rear kit for about 3k. And yes it's the full kit for a GTO.
I came in around $2k for the Brembos front and rear on my car. There, I saved you a grand for a cam!

Edit — seriously, I got my calipers, pads and rotors from Rock Auto. The custom brackets from Bohnman and the stainless lines from a company in Australia. Add in primer, paint, clear coat, speed bleeders, GTO vinyl decals, brake fluid and other miscellaneous items, right around $2k DIY.

·
Registered
Don't own one but soon, 2005 Pontiac GTO, M6.
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I came in around $2k for the Brembos front and rear on my car. There, I saved you a grand for a cam!

Edit — seriously, I got my calipers, pads and rotors from Rock Auto. The custom brackets from Bohnman and the stainless lines from a company in Australia. Add in primer, paint, clear coat, speed bleeders, GTO vinyl decals, brake fluid and other miscellaneous items, right around $2k DIY.
I've looked into the bohnman brackets but their site says it won't clear the factory 18's, and they certainly wouldn't clear the 17's, which I intend on keeping and running during the winter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·

but I could be wrong and I wouldn't be against buying that kit, just a reason to sell the 17's and buy something else for the car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·

I went back to Bohnman's website and I was hella wrong, it does say they clear the 18's, however that still leaves me with the dilemma of what to do with the 17's, because even a good set of 17's with good tires is only worth about $300, and I'm certainly not changing my brakes in the winter just so I can run the 17's. SO, I could buy a second set of 18's, factory or not, and run the brembo's thus eliminating the need for 17's. And I know from personal experience driving a car with brembo's that I won't regret the big brakes, because they have gotten me out of several bad situations. So I suppose you convinced me, mostly from of the comment about the extra grand for a cam lmao.

·
Seriously?
2,346 Posts
I am also running widened stock 18s with 285/35-18 Michelins in the rear. Dump the 17s and move on. I bought a pair of 18s on eBay so I wouldn’t have to give up a pair of mine, so I have a pair on the shelf in the garage.

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,745 Posts
True. I guess I really don't know what I want to do to the car, there is really only one thing in mind that I absolutely have to have, I really don't want it to be some drag strip queen though, I know I've said I'd like to take it to the drag strip but my point was more, it will be a street car that I take to the drag strip every once and a while. I know the Gen IV LS isn't great for power without boost, I've realized the cost, $10k in parts is a lot, especially for someone like me, but that's the joy of it, is the research and the pricing out and just dreaming of what the car can be. And as I've said, I need the car before I make any cut and dry decisions, a lot of the parts I want are subject to change as time goes on. If there's anything I want to do with the car the most though, it's to have a stop light queen, in my opinion it takes more skill to have a good stop light car than a good drag strip car, and even if I don't beat most of the cars on the street I don't care. At the end of the day it's down to the Fifth Generation GTO is the car I want, and whether I just do a Pedders stock ride height replacement and an exhaust, or I go all out and build the motor it's the car I want. It's an underdog whether you're fast or not. It's a lot to think about and research but, again, at the end of the day, I need the car before I make any real decisions.
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. There are plenty of LS engines out there making solid numbers without any power adders.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. There are plenty of LS engines out there making solid numbers without any power adders.
Yeah between 5-600 with heads, cam, headers, intake, most likely a stroker kit, and a dyno-tune. Now that isn't a bad number. I'm more saying that certain other motors have more power potential with fewer mods. For example, the Gen 3 coyote. E85 and headers, well into the 500's to the crank, probably in the 500's to the tire. 10 second quarter mile and you barely had to work on the car. Hardest part of that is getting the headers off and back on. With the LS you put twice the money into the motor to get barely the same return or possibly less. I'm in no way trying to diss the LS, it's a great motor, after all I wouldn't be here talking about buying one if I didn't think it was a great motor. But it doesn't have the same potential as other motors. See what I'm saying?

·
Worthless reject member
54,282 Posts
coyote is definitely the basic-bolt-on bang-for-your-buck king vs the LS. if you want to just buy a car and throw some cheap bolt-ons on it and go faster, 2019+ mustangs are it. but, everyone is doing boost now, tho. coyote, LS, and LT alike.

but you have LS motors well into the 900's (at least on an engine dyno), naturally aspirated... so... if you like things naturally aspirated and have a fat wallet, you can make some serious naturally aspirated power with an LS.

and, as far as gen IV motors go, the LS3 is known for its potential. 400+whp with bolt ons. you can crack 500whp with just a cam, stock heads. and you can boost them to the moon like most other LS motors. that's pretty bang for your buck. i mean you could crack 500whp with an LS2 with just a cam, on STD correction wtih a dyno jet, with a massive cam with lousy low end... (*COUGH*COUGH*MEGADEATH*COUGH*COUGH) but i digress.

·
Registered
765 Posts
In today’s world of you show up with an NA street car at the drag strip you’re getting smoked. If you have an NA drag car that can 60’ 1.1x or better than you have a chance in the 1/8th NA otherwise forget it. You aren’t winning any auto cross events with a GTO either.
Where are these 1980’s V6’s that smoke all modern cars for a few thousand dollars? Have you seen what those cars actually sell for these days if they are clean and don’t need a bunch of work to run those times? Those cars often have way more than a few thousand in them to run those times reliably.
I’ve been 6.18 in the 1/8th with less power than I currently have. 15g for the car with 26,000 miles on it and another 25g in mods to get there. 40g to run those times isn’t bad. You would have to buy a used coyote mustang and mod it to get there for the same price. I still have full interior, but I’m about to put racing seats in and remove the rears and just carpet it so I’m going to get serious about weight reduction now.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The more I think about this...

considering your goals and budget...

I’d get the car and not change anything that doesn’t need immediate attention. Save until you can afford an LSA kit from boost district. You can spend as much on heads/cam with supporting mods and have less. Put the LSA on it and you’ll have a fun street car that can run respectable times to give your dad competition. You want bragging rights at family holidays lol.
Then add supporting mods later as you can afford and replace things as they break lol.

·
Worthless reject member
54,282 Posts
In today’s world of you show up with an NA street car at the drag strip you’re getting smoked.
not every car that shows up at a drag strip runs 8's or less on the quarter, bro.

there are plenty of people that show up to test and tune at a drag strip or autox just to have some fun.

i don't think this guy is out there to win money with his car or to wipe up the strip in a no prep grudge match. he's already stated his goals.

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,745 Posts
Yeah between 5-600 with heads, cam, headers, intake, most likely a stroker kit, and a dyno-tune. Now that isn't a bad number. I'm more saying that certain other motors have more power potential with fewer mods. For example, the Gen 3 coyote. E85 and headers, well into the 500's to the crank, probably in the 500's to the tire. 10 second quarter mile and you barely had to work on the car. Hardest part of that is getting the headers off and back on. With the LS you put twice the money into the motor to get barely the same return or possibly less. I'm in no way trying to diss the LS, it's a great motor, after all I wouldn't be here talking about buying one if I didn't think it was a great motor. But it doesn't have the same potential as other motors. See what I'm saying?
You're comparing engine designs that are ~20 years apart. You might as well compare the LS to the Gen 1 SBC and pretend that power can't be made with the latter.

And what you said is that the LS isn't great for power without boost, which is entirely wrong. Have you driven a vehicle making 500-600 at the wheels?

·
Registered
765 Posts
not every car that shows up at a drag strip runs 8's or less on the quarter, bro.

there are plenty of people that show up to test and tune at a drag strip or autox just to have some fun.

i don't think this guy is out there to win money with his car or to wipe up the strip in a no prep grudge match. he's already stated his goals.
My comment was in response to the other posters saying how easy it was to compete at the strip.
Sure there are guys on street nights getting baselines with stock cars and others with just bolt ons having fun. There are also a TON of boosted 1000 rwhp guys running 5’s in the 1/8th also.
I believe in keeping it simple but if it was easy to run 5’s with a GTO everyone would be doing it. I used to have a turbo Buick also and you aren’t running 5’s for a few thousand $ with one of those either. Want to go fast with a Supra or a GTr better have deep pockets. Fox bodies are where it’s at. Want the fastest possible late model daily...corvette, coyote mustang or zl1. Unless you like electric cars.
Coyotes deserve respect, but the LS is plenty capable.

·
Registered
765 Posts
You're comparing engine designs that are ~20 years apart. You might as well compare the LS to the Gen 1 SBC and pretend that power can't be made with the latter.

And what you said is that the LS isn't great for power without boost, which is entirely wrong. Have you driven a vehicle making 500-600 at the wheels?
A 500-600 rwhp NA LS isn’t going to be as street friendly as an 800 rwhp boosted LS. Too your point though it’s very capable. Guys are making 700 rwhp NA with big cubic inch high dollar LS builds now.
Plenty have made 1000 plus with boosted sbe LS engines also with some lasting several years.
The LS is plenty capable it just isn’t easy or cheap, but there is no cheap cars if you want to drag race competitively. Some make more with bolt ons and some respond to minor mods better but at high hp levels none of them are cheap or easy.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Ls motors are one of the best bang for the buck platforms out there.
You are misinformed. The LS is one of the best bang for the buck platforms out there. Have you heard of Capizzi? He went 7’s with a stock LS with a turbo. He put it in a fox body. You are ignoring 20 years of transmission and suspension development. The LS platform isn’t what is holding the GTO back in drag racing. It’s the chassis and limited aftermarket support. In any head to head LS vs coyote engine dyno competition with both motors having the same budget limit the LS wins every time both NA and boosted. The coyote mustang has way more aftermarket support and 20 years of technology advancement in transmission. The A10 helped them a ton. I’m not sure about the mustang, but new cars in general also have far superior traction control that’s actually useable at the strip while the GTO traction control is a joke and actually hinders performance.
Drag racing is so much more than horse power. The coyote is a good engine, but the LS is plenty capable of making big power and can do it cheaper.

Also look at the price to get started. You can find a decently clean GTO for 15g. I paid 15g for mine with 26,000 miles on it. What is a mustang with a gen 3 coyote going for? 35g? That gives you 20g to start with on mods with the GTO to get you to the same price as the gen 3 coyote mustang.

·
Seriously?
2,346 Posts
In today’s world of you show up with an NA street car at the drag strip you’re getting smoked. If you have an NA drag car that can 60’ 1.1x or better than you have a chance in the 1/8th NA otherwise forget it. You aren’t winning any auto cross events with a GTO either.
Where are these 1980’s V6’s that smoke all modern cars for a few thousand dollars? Have you seen what those cars actually sell for these days if they are clean and don’t need a bunch of work to run those times? Those cars often have way more than a few thousand in them to run those times reliably.
I’ve been 6.18 in the 1/8th with less power than I currently have. 15g for the car with 26,000 miles on it and another 25g in mods to get there. 40g to run those times isn’t bad. You would have to buy a used coyote mustang and mod it to get there for the same price. I still have full interior, but I’m about to put racing seats in and remove the rears and just carpet it so I’m going to get serious about weight reduction now.
I never said that an 80s V6 will smoke all modern cars for a few thousand dollars. I said it will pimp smack some of today’s cars with a few thousand in mods, good tires and some suspension.

The point of my comment wasn’t to bench race on the internet. We are having a discussion with a 17 year old who hasn’t bought a GTO yet, isn’t sure which direction he is going with the car but knows he really likes the car and wants one, and has a $10k plus wishlist of parts he wants for it.

I’m not trying to steal your thunder nor am I the most knowledgeable when it comes to 1000 horsepower cars. I had a 760 horse 2002 Mustang GT that would run 10.60s that had the fucking parts catalog thrown at it. Pretty sure it could probably crack into 9s with a little more abusive driving, little more aggressiveness on the tune, and very good track conditions.

@Nathan Cade, good luck with whatever car you end up buying. If it does turn out to be a GTO, hopefully it turns out to be whatever you want. It took me years of waiting before I had the cash to just throw at my car because I didn’t have it to waste on it. This thing called life sometimes makes your plans for you, but in all those years, I still got to drive and maintain what I think is one of the best GM cars to exist.

Reactions: Nathan Cade

·
Registered
765 Posts
I never said that an 80s V6 will smoke all modern cars for a few thousand dollars. I said it will pimp smack some of today’s cars with a few thousand in mods, good tires and some suspension.

The point of my comment wasn’t to bench race on the internet. We are having a discussion with a 17 year old who hasn’t bought a GTO yet, isn’t sure which direction he is going with the car but knows he really likes the car and wants one, and has a $10k plus wishlist of parts he wants for it.

I’m not trying to steal your thunder nor am I the most knowledgeable when it comes to 1000 horsepower cars. I had a 760 horse 2002 Mustang GT that would run 10.60s that had the fucking parts catalog thrown at it. Pretty sure it could probably crack into 9s with a little more abusive driving, little more aggressiveness on the tune, and very good track conditions.

@Nathan Cade, good luck with whatever car you end up buying. If it does turn out to be a GTO, hopefully it turns out to be whatever you want. It took me years of waiting before I had the cash to just throw at my car because I didn’t have it to waste on it. This thing called life sometimes makes your plans for you, but in all those years, I still got to drive and maintain what I think is one of the best GM cars to exist.
I don’t have any thunder lol. I’m only talking about what I’ve actually done not coulda shoulda woulda stuff. Went 10’s with a turbo Buick in the 90’s went 10.2x with a GTO in 2007 and went 6.18 in the 1/8th in September 2020 with my current car with less power than it currently has. I’m one of the slower guys on street nights so no thunder only trying to set realistic expectations. Having owned a V6 from the 80’s I’d take any modern mustang, corvette, or camaro over any of them. In fact I’d take a GTO over my old Buick any day. Cool cars but they aren’t all that.

Heck a friend just went low 9’s in his Colorado with a turbo LS and still isn’t one of the top dogs on street night here.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
I don’t have any thunder lol. I’m only talking about what I’ve actually done not coulda shoulda woulda stuff. Went 10’s with a turbo Buick in the 90’s went 10.2x with a GTO in 2007 and went 6.18 in the 1/8th in September 2020 with my current car with less power than it currently has. I’m one of the slower guys on street nights so no thunder only trying to set realistic expectations. Having owned a V6 from the 80’s I’d take any modern mustang, corvette, or camaro over any of them. In fact I’d take a GTO over my old Buick any day. Cool cars but they aren’t all that.

Heck a friend just went low 9’s in his Colorado with a turbo LS and still isn’t one of the top dogs on street night here.
I think you're completely missing my point. You even tried to make an argument about NA LS's, with a boosted LS lmao. You quite literally proved my point. But I'm not hunting for a 7 second car to the quarter mile. If I wanted that I wouldn't want a GTO, and to @Nothubertjfarnsworth's point, I'm not going to be out trying to win every grudge race or cash kings event or autox events. As it has been clearly pointed out to me here that hey, the GTO probably isn't the best car to go out to the drag stip and turn into a full blown drag car. But, I don't want a full blown drag car, I want something that I can drive and enjoy knowing that it's fairly unique. Unfortunately I don't have the funds or the want/need to put 25k into my GTO and make it run 10's. Hell at this point I don't really give a fuck it the cars does 10's or it does 12's. I would of course love to have one of the few 10 second NA manual GTO's if ANY. Again, if I wanted one of the cheapest cars to make go fast, I'd buy a coyote mustang. You can't beat the DOHC V8 for cheap power. Especially a gen 3 coyote. Again, I just want a stop light queen that when I feel like it, I can take it to the drag strip and have fun testing it, testing my driving and my reaction times, or take it to a track and just throw the car around for a day. But at the end of the day, what I want, is to pull up to a stop light, racing someone or not, and just hammer it when the light turns green. Put me back in the surprisingly comfortable bolstered seats, and put a big smile on my face. My goal, has never been, and will never be, to be the fastest guy in a GTO. My goal is simply just to have a GTO.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think you're completely missing my point. You even tried to make an argument about NA LS's, with a boosted LS lmao. You quite literally proved my point. But I'm not hunting for a 7 second car to the quarter mile. If I wanted that I wouldn't want a GTO, and to @Nothubertjfarnsworth's point, I'm not going to be out trying to win every grudge race or cash kings event or autox events. As it has been clearly pointed out to me here that hey, the GTO probably isn't the best car to go out to the drag stip and turn into a full blown drag car. But, I don't want a full blown drag car, I want something that I can drive and enjoy knowing that it's fairly unique. Unfortunately I don't have the funds or the want/need to put 25k into my GTO and make it run 10's. Hell at this point I don't really give a fuck it the cars does 10's or it does 12's. I would of course love to have one of the few 10 second NA manual GTO's if ANY. Again, if I wanted one of the cheapest cars to make go fast, I'd buy a coyote mustang. You can't beat the DOHC V8 for cheap power. Especially a gen 3 coyote. Again, I just want a stop light queen that when I feel like it, I can take it to the drag strip and have fun testing it, testing my driving and my reaction times, or take it to a track and just throw the car around for a day. But at the end of the day, what I want, is to pull up to a stop light, racing someone or not, and just hammer it when the light turns green. Put me back in the surprisingly comfortable bolstered seats, and put a big smile on my face. My goal, has never been, and will never be, to be the fastest guy in a GTO. My goal is simply just to have a GTO.
You realize they ran two competitions of coyote vs LS? One was NA vs NA the other was Procharger vs Procharger. Same budget for the coyote and the LS the LS wins every time. A 3rd gen coyote mustang isn’t cheaper gave you priced a 3rd gen coyote mustang vs a 2005-6 gto? The GTO can be bought 20g cheaper from what I’m seeing locally. You can find GTO’s for around 10g if you don’t want low miles. What’s a 3rd gen coyote mustang go for in decent shape? 30g? That’s like saying a Tesla is cheaper to mod to go 9’s because they don’t need mods at all while ignoring what the car itself costs.
I get you don’t want a car capable of winning at the drag strip. Just don’t post nonsense about the LS. I mentioned the 7 second LS only to show its potential that was literally a stock 5.3 LS bottom end with a turbo. Lol the LS is the cheapest way to make power right now period.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts