LS1GTO Forums banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think you're completely missing my point. You even tried to make an argument about NA LS's, with a boosted LS lmao. You quite literally proved my point. But I'm not hunting for a 7 second car to the quarter mile. If I wanted that I wouldn't want a GTO, and to @Nothubertjfarnsworth's point, I'm not going to be out trying to win every grudge race or cash kings event or autox events. As it has been clearly pointed out to me here that hey, the GTO probably isn't the best car to go out to the drag stip and turn into a full blown drag car. But, I don't want a full blown drag car, I want something that I can drive and enjoy knowing that it's fairly unique. Unfortunately I don't have the funds or the want/need to put 25k into my GTO and make it run 10's. Hell at this point I don't really give a fuck it the cars does 10's or it does 12's. I would of course love to have one of the few 10 second NA manual GTO's if ANY. Again, if I wanted one of the cheapest cars to make go fast, I'd buy a coyote mustang. You can't beat the DOHC V8 for cheap power. Especially a gen 3 coyote. Again, I just want a stop light queen that when I feel like it, I can take it to the drag strip and have fun testing it, testing my driving and my reaction times, or take it to a track and just throw the car around for a day. But at the end of the day, what I want, is to pull up to a stop light, racing someone or not, and just hammer it when the light turns green. Put me back in the surprisingly comfortable bolstered seats, and put a big smile on my face. My goal, has never been, and will never be, to be the fastest guy in a GTO. My goal is simply just to have a GTO.
You realize they ran two competitions of coyote vs LS? One was NA vs NA the other was Procharger vs Procharger. Same budget for the coyote and the LS the LS wins every time. A 3rd gen coyote mustang isn’t cheaper gave you priced a 3rd gen coyote mustang vs a 2005-6 gto? The GTO can be bought 20g cheaper from what I’m seeing locally. You can find GTO’s for around 10g if you don’t want low miles. What’s a 3rd gen coyote mustang go for in decent shape? 30g? That’s like saying a Tesla is cheaper to mod to go 9’s because they don’t need mods at all while ignoring what the car itself costs.
I get you don’t want a car capable of winning at the drag strip. Just don’t post nonsense about the LS. I mentioned the 7 second LS only to show its potential that was literally a stock 5.3 LS bottom end with a turbo. Lol the LS is the cheapest way to make power right now period.

·
Registered
Don't own one but soon, 2005 Pontiac GTO, M6.
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
You realize they ran two competitions of coyote vs LS? One was NA vs NA the other was Procharger vs Procharger. Same budget for the coyote and the LS the LS wins every time. A 3rd gen coyote mustang isn’t cheaper gave you priced a 3rd gen coyote mustang vs a 2005-6 gto? The GTO can be bought 20g cheaper from what I’m seeing locally. You can find GTO’s for around 10g if you don’t want low miles. What’s a 3rd gen coyote mustang go for in decent shape? 30g? That’s like saying a Tesla is cheaper to mod to go 9’s because they don’t need mods at all while ignoring what the car itself costs.
I get you don’t want a car capable of winning at the drag strip. Just don’t post nonsense about the LS. I mentioned the 7 second LS only to show its potential that was literally a stock 5.3 LS bottom end with a turbo. Lol the LS is the cheapest way to make power right now period.
Look I'm sorry I offended you, but at the end of the day, the LS, yet again, is nothing without boost. Every argument you've made trying to say against that. Has only proved that point further. And that, yet again, is not the route I want to go on my GTO. The closest I'll get to any true boost is NOS, and that's because I don't have to use boost constantly. I know how to make decent NA power out of the motor. It's a simple recipe on any LS motor, intake, throttle body, maybe fuel injectors, heads, cam, headers, dyno tune. Easy 450-500 whp, hell maybe even more than that on a factory freak LS if you could be so lucky as to find one. So once again I say, I don't want to be the fastest, I just want to have fun. It's all about smiles per gallon for me, not fucking 60 foot or reaction time or whatever.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Look I'm sorry I offended you, but at the end of the day, the LS, yet again, is nothing without boost. Every argument you've made trying to say against that. Has only proved that point further. And that, yet again, is not the route I want to go on my GTO. The closest I'll get to any true boost is NOS, and that's because I don't have to use boost constantly. I know how to make decent NA power out of the motor. It's a simple recipe on any LS motor, intake, throttle body, maybe fuel injectors, heads, cam, headers, dyno tune. Easy 450-500 whp, hell maybe even more than that on a factory freak LS if you could be so lucky as to find one. So once again I say, I don't want to be the fastest, I just want to have fun. It's all about smiles per gallon for me, not fucking 60 foot or reaction time or whatever.
Again you are wrong. Here is a true street driven car with a naturally aspirated LS making over 700 rwhp. Has a coyote even made that much to the tire naturally aspirated ever? There are several doing it over on ls1tech. I have some friends with coyote mustangs that I've learned a little about their costs to build and potential, but I don't really bug them much about every detail. I usually hang out with my LS friends more and they are much faster LOL. NOS LOL is not close to being the same as boost. I've run nitrous combos, turbo combos, NA combos, and procharged combos. Never had a twin screw or roots combo though. I've built two GTO's one that went low 10's consistently for over 100 passes and my current one that easily will run low 9's, but I've only been 1/8th mile racing it. I've also helped build multiple other LS combos as well as done tuning locally for friends. So I do find it interesting you are telling me how it all works and what they are capable of having never built or even owned a GTO yet...lol.

Anyway here is the video of the over 700 rwhp naturally aspirated LS street driven car. Oh and your claim that it takes a stroker LS to make over 500 rwhp is false as well. Can be done cam only with an LS3 and with a good heads/cam combo on an LS2. How much does it cost to swap cams or heads on a coyote? Definitely not cheap or easy like an LS. Really a 3rd gen coyote should be compared to an LT since they are the latest, but we can keep it to the LS anyway...lol

I already know you're come back, but I'm not looking for 700 rwhp LOL. That's ok just don't make false claims and then get mad when you are proved wrong by people that have actually built and tuned multiple LS's. There are people in this discussion who know more than I do, but you aren't one of them. I'm a little more opinionated and vocal because I enjoy these discussions. Some times I rub people the wrong way, but I don't actually think I know as much as some of these guys especially about GTO's specifically. I only speak about what I've done or seen personally among friends typically, but when you make false claims I decided to pull up a couple of the more popular builds that show a naturally aspirated LS can make way more than you claim as well as how capable a stock bottom end LS is with boost just as examples.

edit to add: I actually have a friend with an Fbody and a naturally aspirated LS stroker that is faster in the 1/8th than my procharged GTO. It's a manual trans even. He is lightened up a lot and is a good driver, but none the less saying an LS is nothing without boost is laughable. I built my first GTO and went 10.2 before the first coyote mustang was ever built. I went 10.2 with an LS in 2007 with a daily driven GTO.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Here is the dyno of the corvette in the video. Naturally Aspirated LS no boost...lol

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Again you are wrong. Here is a true street driven car with a naturally aspirated LS making over 700 rwhp. Has a coyote even made that much to the tire naturally aspirated ever? There are several doing it over on ls1tech. I have some friends with coyote mustangs that I've learned a little about their costs to build and potential, but I don't really bug them much about every detail. I usually hang out with my LS friends more and they are much faster LOL. NOS LOL is not close to being the same as boost. I've run nitrous combos, turbo combos, NA combos, and procharged combos. Never had a twin screw or roots combo though. I've built two GTO's one that went low 10's consistently for over 100 passes and my current one that easily will run low 9's, but I've only been 1/8th mile racing it. I've also helped build multiple other LS combos as well as done tuning locally for friends. So I do find it interesting you are telling me how it all works and what they are capable of having never built or even owned a GTO yet...lol.

Anyway here is the video of the over 700 rwhp naturally aspirated LS street driven car. Oh and your claim that it takes a stroker LS to make over 500 rwhp is false as well. Can be done cam only with an LS3 and with a good heads/cam combo on an LS2. How much does it cost to swap cams or heads on a coyote? Definitely not cheap or easy like an LS. Really a 3rd gen coyote should be compared to an LT since they are the latest, but we can keep it to the LS anyway...lol

I already know you're come back, but I'm not looking for 700 rwhp LOL. That's ok just don't make false claims and then get mad when you are proved wrong by people that have actually built and tuned multiple LS's. There are people in this discussion who know more than I do, but you aren't one of them. I'm a little more opinionated and vocal because I enjoy these discussions. Some times I rub people the wrong way, but I don't actually think I know as much as some of these guys especially about GTO's specifically. I only speak about what I've done or seen personally among friends typically, but when you make false claims I decided to pull up a couple of the more popular builds that show a naturally aspirated LS can make way more than you claim as well as how capable a stock bottom end LS is with boost just as examples.

edit to add: I actually have a friend with an Fbody and a naturally aspirated LS stroker that is faster in the 1/8th than my procharged GTO. It's a manual trans even. He is lightened up a lot and is a good driver, but none the less saying an LS is nothing without boost is laughable. I built my first GTO and went 10.2 before the first coyote mustang was ever built. I went 10.2 with an LS in 2007 with a daily driven GTO.
Well cool, thanks for proving me wrong! I was just pushing you to prove to me that I could make more power than 500 NA. And until now you never gave me that info. Now knowing I can go to that kind of power, it's quite the possibility that I'll try for that kind of power. Now maybe I won't push it that hard in my first few years of ownership, but eventually. So again, thank you for proving me wrong and actually showing me that they can make that kind of power instead of talking about power adders.

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,745 Posts
I'm just amused that you think 500-600 wheel horsepower is no big deal and just rattled off engine parts pretending like that is your discovered formula for making power.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
I'm just amused that you think 500-600 wheel horsepower is no big deal and just rattled off engine parts pretending like that is your discovered formula for making power.
600whp is the highest amount of streetable horsepower. And by todays standard of muscle cars, anything short of 8 or 900 hp is basically nothing. I'm not pretending like I discovered anything, if you know LS motors you know that's the simplest way to make horsepower on a halfway decent budget. By todays standards anything short of 900hp is slow :rolleyes:. 5-600 is more power than most other cars, but it's still not what many people consider the standard for a "high power car" anymore.

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,745 Posts
600whp is the highest amount of streetable horsepower. And by todays standard of muscle cars, anything short of 8 or 900 hp is basically nothing. I'm not pretending like I discovered anything, if you know LS motors you know that's the simplest way to make horsepower on a halfway decent budget. By todays standards anything short of 900hp is slow :rolleyes:. 5-600 is more power than most other cars, but it's still not what many people consider the standard for a "high power car" anymore.
By internet highschooler standards, sure, but it's still a real number and you do have to contend with physics, the limitations of the chassis, and the limitations of your abilities.
And you are still discounting everything it takes to be able to make NA power well. It's much more than hopping on a website and ordering stage 3 everything.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
By internet highschooler standards, sure, but it's still a real number and you do have to contend with physics, the limitations of the chassis, and the limitations of your abilities.
And you are still discounting everything it takes to be able to make NA power well. It's much more than hopping on a website and ordering stage 3 everything.
I never said it was that simple, @Nothubertjfarnsworth I'm fairly certain can tell you I of all people know more than that. Just because I put it in the simplest way doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. I know that I have to pick the right heads for the right compression # NA, I know I have to pick a matching cam for that. I'm not fucking stupid. I just didn't feel like breaking it down.

·
Worthless reject member
54,284 Posts
you actually seem pretty smart and well spoken, dude, but i don't know you all that well yet.

(i can't even vouch for myself half the time.)

i hope i don't offend you by saying this, but if i had to make a call, i'd say you just lack some experience. stuff can work out on paper, but it's a little different when you actually get it together and try to make it work.

but, it's fun to try. just expensive AF with this hobby.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
you actually seem pretty smart and well spoken, dude, but i don't know you all that well yet.

(i can't even vouch for myself half the time.)

i hope i don't offend you by saying this, but if i had to make a call, i'd say you just lack some experience. stuff can work out on paper, but it's a little different when you actually get it together and try to make it work.

but, it's fun to try. just expensive AF with this hobby.
No offense taken sir!

101 - 117 of 117 Posts