LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The wheel wells or subframe (1st two pics) could probably be helped with some cutting out the old, and welding in new. Any body shop should know most of this by heart.

The rest of the pics....I dont see any rust at all. Specs on the exhaust and hangers? That just come with having unpainted steel under a vehicle. Just live it with....or pick up and move to someplace that doesn't have salt on the roads, or salty ocean air.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The wheel wells or subframe (1st two pics) could probably be helped with some cutting out the old, and welding in new. Any body shop should know most of this by heart.

The rest of the pics....I dont see any rust at all. Specs on the exhaust and hangers? That just come with having unpainted steel under a vehicle. Just live it with....or pick up and move to someplace that doesn't have salt on the roads, or salty ocean air.
I know it’s got kooks headers catted to a magnaflow exhaust as far as the hangers I’m new to the game so not sure what you mean sorry

·
Worthless reject member
49,255 Posts
I would have the frame rails repaired. It is odd that that area rusted but your rear subframe and suspension components have little rust.

Check to see if your car has ever been in an accident.

Your pictures actually reveal little about the undercar condition.

Check underneath the rear diffuser, around all the spot welds, check the rear frame rails, especially around the spot welds, check the spring perches, take the rocket panel covers off and check the pinch weld area, check all spot welds in the mid undersection of the car, check the strut mount cups in the strut tower housing, check for rust in the cavities of the front subframe and on the front subframe itself, check the lower radiator support. Remove the front and rear facia and check the the metal impact bars and brackets.

This car will rust in all kinds of hidden places.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would have the frame rails repaired. It is odd that that area rusted but your rear subframe and suspension components have little rust.

Check to see if your car has ever been in an accident.

Your pictures actually reveal little about the undercar condition.

Check underneath the rear diffuser, around all the spot welds, check the rear frame rails, especially around the spot welds, check the spring perches, take the rocket panel covers off and check the pinch weld area, check all spot welds in the mid undersection of the car, check the strut mount cups in the strut tower housing, check for rust in the cavities of the front subframe and on the front subframe itself, check the lower radiator support. Remove the front and rear facia and check the the metal impact bars and brackets.

This car will rust in all kinds of hidden places.
It’s a rebuilt salvage paid $8,500

·
Worthless reject member
49,255 Posts
It’s a rebuilt salvage paid $8,500
I'm thinking the rails might have been sectioned, but they didn't do much in the way of rust prevention. IIRC there are a few laters of steel in certian sections of the front framerail, especially by the firewall. What you could be seeing is the outer layer rusting away. Either that, or they attempted some sort of lapping or fishplating when they did the repair, and the steel they used for that is rusting away.

IIRC they are supposed to replace the entire rail assembly if there is damage past the midpoint between the two subframe attachment points on the damaged side. You can't find new rails anymore tho.

Manufacturer spec for a proper section on a front rail on the GTO is an L-shaped cut midway between the two subframe mounting points on the rail, that is butwelded and uses the proper rust prevention applied. Fishplating is technically overkill here if done correctly. Not even sure what they did here. If they made a section to the rails near the firewall, which is what it seems like here, they should have done more to reinforce the area and make sure that it would not rust like this.

Have it repaired, properly. Hopefully whoever does it will do it right with coatings and rust preventio, and at least add some fish plating to strengthen those areas. I would hate to get into a wreck with frame rails that have been improperly done. If you can't get it done right, i agree with a partout.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry i edited so much, it was just hard to imagine where those areas are at in the pictures. Had to go run into the garage to check the cars out.
Yea sorry about the lack there of for the pictures sake I live in a town house and we are not aloud to work on our cars here. I have my jack and stuff at another location, I’ll have to get some more pictures as soon as I can.

·
Worthless reject member
49,255 Posts
Yea sorry about the lack there of for the pictures sake I live in a town house and we are not aloud to work on our cars here. I have my jack and stuff at another location, I’ll have to get some more pictures as soon as I can.
Forget the pics, just take it to a few good body shops and ask their advice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts