LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm purchasing a black 2004 GTO and I was told that it is necessary to apply car wax to make black and red colored vehicles look good.

Someone told me that the best product they found was Pinnacle Natural Billiance (Souveran) wax.

Does anyone use this product? If so, were you pleased with the results?

Are there other brands I should consider?

I'm not trying to turn this into an ad for car wax vendors, I just want to find out what's best for my new GTO.

Thank you, in advance, for your comments!

Bobp16 :cool:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sal Zaino (Zaino Brothers wax) is some of the best I have ever used. It gave my 1999 silvermist GTP a real wet look shine. Do a web search to find them, you can then email Sal and he will give you an idea of which system and tips to use.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've used Zaino on my Black Firehawk since it was new. I have people ask me all the time "is that the factory paint"? yes it is.

·
Registered
389 Posts
When showing our Vette which was torch red we used the 3 step mother's wax program and it worked extremely well. You only use the 3 step program once a year but then you can use only the 3rd step (the wax itself) anytime you want. The car won many shows ( including best in show Carlisle) and everyone complimented the wax and started using mother's products on their cars including black vettes and the car look amazing. Also a body shop/detail shop stated Mother's wax is one of the safest and best waxes for your paint. You can buy it at any auto store or even walmart. The three steps are listed below:

1. Step 1 Cleaner- removes old built up wax and wax residue
2. Step 2 Swirl remover- keeps swirls out of you wax job
3. Step 3- the wax itself.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Love that Zaino!! Can't get enough of that stuff.

Looks great, and once you get the first coat on, it is very easy to maintain a great looking shine.

Anyone else notice that it smells like bubble gum?

Jim

·
Registered
84 Posts
Zaino user as well. I've been a user for 5 years. I have a 98 bright red GTP and the paint still looks showroom new. In fact, I had to get my front bumper and rear quarter panel repainted due to parking lot damage and you cannot tell any difference in the paint, no fade at all. I only use Zaino once a year and yet water beads for the entire year. I love the stuff. It does really help to be able to keep your car garaged though.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
FYI people...ZAINO ISN'T A WAX!!! Zaino is a polish! If you want paint and finish protection from the elements for a daily driver, YOU DO NOT WANT ZAINO! You want a WAX for your daily driven elemnt exposed vehicle, you want a wax.

Personally Zaino won't touch anything I own. There are wayyyy too many steps involved to do it right and the net results aren't any better. I've had Zaino'd cars lose to me at several car shows.

I use 3M. Ask anyone that knows me, my finish is sterile it's so clean and shiny.

·
Official Dragon Straightner
6,438 Posts
I have used the Mother's 3 step process on my IROC since 1993 when it was repainted by GM due to a recall.

When i put the sealer/glaze on, all the scratches and swirl marks disappear and i can't even look the the bright blue metalic paint in the sunlight it is so bright.

Plus I will typically get 3-4 months out of the wax before it stops beading.

I even heard of some people putting the wax on, then the sealer/glaze on top.

I know Mother's sounds old school but I know for a fact it protects better than Zaino.
And that is the most important thing wax does.

And if somebody tells me they use it at Carlisle that is good enough for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
b4z said:

I know Mother's sounds old school but I know for a fact it protects better than Zaino.
And that is the most important thing wax does.
That's not actually true.
Mothers contains Carnuba which is water soluable. It also doesn't layer, adding additional coats does nothing but spreads the dull carnuba around.

Zaino (being a polish and not "wax") is a polymer this is not water soluable. It's also 99.9 % optically clear and at the same time it has UV40 sunscreen protection to help your paint resist fading, which is something no wax can claim. The best thing about it is that it does layer. The more coats you add, the better the finish gets and the more protection you have for your paint. This isn't opinion, it's based on fact.

I've been using it on my Trans Am for about 4 years. I don't even have a garage, and the paint looks as good as a new car and doesn't have one water spot. When the car gets wet, the water rolls right off and doesn't bead nearly as much as "wax". Contary to poplular belief, beading is a bad thing.

Just adding my .02.
:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
FYI people...ZAINO ISN'T A WAX!!! Zaino is a polish! If you want paint and finish protection from the elements for a daily driver, YOU DO NOT WANT ZAINO! You want a WAX for your daily driven elemnt exposed vehicle, you want a wax.

Personally Zaino won't touch anything I own. There are wayyyy too many steps involved to do it right and the net results aren't any better. I've had Zaino'd cars lose to me at several car shows.

I use 3M. Ask anyone that knows me, my finish is sterile it's so clean and shiny.
Well....this is one thing I will wholeheartedly DISAGREE with you on 100%
Wax does not last, wax does not stack, Wax contains silicones and abrasives and adds nothing to your paint other than blemishes that are being disguised by the silicone or fillers in the product you are using. It offers NO UV protection to your paint, it offers nothing past 5-7 days of protection in direct exposure to the elements.

Zaino has no abrasives or silicones AT ALL. It will last you a minimum of 4 months while providing UV protection and adding a great finish as well. Zaino chemically bonds with the paint making it last like it does.

The application of Zaino is not difficult or time consuming. The initial application takes a bit longer but that is all. Once its applied to the car, it makes future applications amazingly fast and easy. Not to mention making it easier to wash and dust off quickly while adding more protection with the Detail Spray.

I used to sell my own line of products and after numerous tests and conversations with Sal, I decided to stop selling my stuff and just go with zaino. No I am not a dealer for him, but do fully support his products.

Winning shows is not always a good judge of what car polish/wax you use.

3M does makes some great products..but bottom line...all of them either have silicones or abrasives in them. its been proven time and time again. :) In fact I use 3M part # 39009 as a fine cutting agent to prepare the surface for Zaino. Zaino is not a cure all and will not fix problems..its a clearcoat polish...no more! the better slate you start with...the better the results.

Not flaming man...just my .02.....and then some hehe :)
:thumbs:

p.s. if anyone has more questions about it and doubts what I say...feel free to call Sal at the # on his site...or I can give you his #. He will be more than happy to answer any of your questions. :) He is a super nice guy!

·
GTOless
7,042 Posts
formula 113 /x bead as well

·
Registered
6 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
I'm not flaming you or anything (friendly discussion) but you may want to research the facts a little more. :)
You're right on one thing, Zaino IS a polish but one of the reasons it is so superior to wax is because it Layers which wax does not. As I posted about, not only does it layer but it has superior sun protection. Wax has silicones and abrasives.....definitly NOT good for any form of paint.
When you add two coats of wax, you're not accomplishing anything as the carnuba just smears around. When you add multiple coats of Zaino, you're adding extra layers of protection. Wax doesn't really give you any finish protection and doesn't last 1/2 as long.

As far as the steps involved, Zaino has no more steps than anything else. Anytime you change polishes or waxes you need to strip off the old wax by washing in dawn and then using a claybar to remove surface contaminants. Zaino is actually easier than wax, because it dries quicker and comes off easier. I can completetly Zaino my car in about 30 minutes, including drying time. :)

Ever wonder why Zaino has so many fans and people preaching its praises? Because it does what it claims and works VERY well. Is there something better? Maybe, but if so I haven't found it yet.
;)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Quick97TA,

I couldn't have said it any better:D Of all the automotive products I have ever used, Zaino is by far the best. Yes it does take awhile to do all the steps the first time, but it sure is worth it! After that is so easy to reapply. It comes off with the same kind of pressure that you would use to dust furniture (very light).
And the shine, what can I say,it looks like molten(sp) glass. I saw reflections in my paint that I had never seen before. All I know is that I never will go back to anything else!
Here is a link to the Zaino picure site: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=PHOTOS

·
Registered
6 Posts
4th GTO said:
Quick97TA,
I couldn't have said it any better:D Of all the automotive products I have ever used, Zaino is by far the best. Yes it does take awhile to do all the steps the first time, but it sure is worth it! After that is so easy to reapply. It comes off with the same kind of pressure that you would use to dust furniture (very light).
And the shine, what can I say,it looks like molten(sp) glass. I saw reflections in my paint that I had never seen before. All I know is that I never will go back to anything else!
Here is a link to the Zaino picure site: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=PHOTOS
I think that's why people think Zaino is so difficult to use....Sal is really the first person I know that really pushed the initial prep work needed to get the best results. That same prep is really needed no matter what you use, especially the clay bar. I couldn't believe the difference in the finish when I first used it. :)

Any wax is gonna give a shine that at first glance looks as good as Zaino, but when you look at the longevity and the proven facts on the protection offered there's no comparison. Even before I learned about Zaino I still never liked any type of carnumba based product. I used Liquid Glass before.....

If you really want to see the difference check your car out under a flouescent light which makes any swirls or scratches you might have stand out......

1 - 20 of 44 Posts