LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Here is a question for people who have purchased a GTO already or have one on order:

I'm interested to know what color of GTO you selected and why.

It seems like Impulse Blue is the most popular color, and I think it looks very sharp. Yet, if EVERYONE has that color, I'm inclined toward something else. Devil Yellow is a beautiful color, but I feel like it would attract too many cops. For those of you who have picked the bright colors (red and yellow), are you concerned about receiving extra attention from Officer Friendly?

-Chris

·
Registered
34 Posts
CrispieGee said:
Hi guys,

Here is a question for people who have purchased a GTO already or have one on order:

I'm interested to know what color of GTO you selected and why.

It seems like Impulse Blue is the most popular color, and I think it looks very sharp. Yet, if EVERYONE has that color, I'm inclined toward something else. Devil Yellow is a beautiful color, but I feel like it would attract too many cops. For those of you who have picked the bright colors (red and yellow), are you concerned about receiving extra attention from Officer Friendly?

-Chris

I picked red and here's why;
I don't like purple or yellow. Blue is nice for a Buick, but not for a performance vehicle like a GTO. Silver is boring. Black is a pain in the a$$ to keep clean. So that leaves red.
It also doesn't hurt that my current car is a red Corvette, my previous car was a maroon Buick and my car before that was a red Corvette. And by the way, my wife has a red Trans Am WS6.
And it doesn't matter to me if red stands out and might possibly get the attention of my brothers in blue. I don't intend to DO anything to give them a reason to pull me over. At least not at my age. 25 years ago was a different story.....

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
black is bad, beautiful and the red two tone interior is ........ahhhhhhhhhhh

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
when i do get mine it will be black. although black is a pain in the a$$ to keep clean. if it is done right. there is nothing as beautiful. plus the red trim interior looks sweet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Color

gtodriver7 said:
when i do get mine it will be black. although black is a pain in the a$$ to keep clean. if it is done right. there is nothing as beautiful. plus the red trim interior looks sweet.
Mine will also be bad ass black with the red inside. I'm not worried about the car being dirty all the time. I have a great young detailer.

slick50

·
Registered
157 Posts
For me it came down to barbados blue or torrid red. I finally decided to go with with the red exterior and black interior because that was the color scheme of my father's 68 GTO. You should consider that the GTO brochure does not do the barbados blue any justice. It looks nothing like the pictures of the cars that I have seen. It seems to be more of a steel blue.

·
Comp Eliminator Goat Driver
2,345 Posts
I picked the Boring Quicksilver. Boring? I don't know, accents the wheels nicely and will do the same with the window tints I am planning on getting. Best of all in my opinion, it is easy to keep clean.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Red - 'If it don't go chrome it, if you can't chrome it - paint it red' Also need to avoid any unnecessary attention from the men in blue.
Blue's - Nice, but neither struck my fancy. After seeing them in person, it would definetly be my second choice.
Purple - Just not for me on a car.
Yellow - Only car I'd ever buy in yellow would be a ferrari (like that will happen any time soon)
Silver - too conservative looking on this car. Even in person it seems to hide the lines.
So, I'm at black. Not too mention black just makes it look wicked - good look.
Dan

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, here's why I asked why you chose your particular color. I am pondering colors right now, and I'm trying to keep in mind what would look good for my particular style. As I've mentioned, I like the European look, so I will replace the rear wing with a ducktail spoiler, add some BMW-ish five-spoke wheels (like the ones Devil Yellow put on his car), and maybe put on a sill kit with wheel flares (like HSV Coupe GTO).
(Of course, I don't want the car to look garish or cheesy.)

So my thoughts are the following:
RED: I have a red car now. Don't want two in a row.
IMPULSE BLUE: Very sharp! Understated, but strong. I think black interior.
SILVER: Looks okay, but silver is better on cars with sharp creases.
BARBADOS BLUE: Need to see it in person. Might be a little wimpy. (No offense)
YELLOW: Looks like an M3. Nice! But do I need get that many tickets?
BLACK: Just doesn't excite me and it's hard to keep clean.
COSMOS PURPLE: Great collector's color, but I don't want to look like a poofter.

So I guess my frontrunners is Impulse, followed by Yellow and Barbados.

Why didn't they offer GREEN and CHARCOAL GREY?

Back in the sixties and seventies most cars had a dozen or more color choices. Those were the days, eh?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
AmesGTO said:
I went with Torrid Red because it is red.

I haven't seen a GTO in a color I don't like. So it's pretty easy to pick a good color.
i dunno. the purple doesn't really suit my fancy. i cant imagine any guy driving a purple car. my guess is they offered that color for the ladies.
"Girls Take Over".
haha. jk.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Nothing personal but I'm tired of people dismissing Black because it shows dirt more than the other colors. All cars get dirty and need cleaning. It doesn't matter what color the car is. If its dirty you will see it. You will wash it. It will then be clean. So go black.

·
90 in a 65
511 Posts
The color that I wanted the most was hot house green, but that color was changed to barbados blue the year before the GTO came to our shores. HSV Racing Green also looks very good. I like colors that not everyone else has, so my pick will be cosmo. Delft Blue was also very sharp, but hothouse green was really awsome on this car!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts