LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was tuning and took the rpms up pretty high. i was watching the fuel trims and they looked good. i looked back in the mirror and saw smoke!!!! i immediatley stopped, saved my log and shut the car off. when i popped the hood i noticed oil everywhere on the pass side. looks like to me i blew the dipstick out of its hole. oil pressure seems a little low now but could that be caused by low oil?? what did i possibly hurt???

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
that sucks, let us know if you find the cause. I wish I could help. good luck .....

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Uh oh......hurt piston?

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
ive seen cars under boost blow out dipsticks (edgez06 when he got his sts first installed). Oil went everywhere. You are NA and can't imagine how you would have blow the dipstick out that bad. How high rpm wise? Check the oil level and if you see a difference in oil pressure keep your eye on it. Mine started to fall and then the oil pump failed. Happened after a high rpm run.

Check valve cover gasket and head gasket while you are at it on that side. Do you have a catch can? did it start leaking or fill up?

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i watched the oil pressure and fired it back up and i had around 20 sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. the motor didnt smoke when i restarted it and made no funny noises. i just checked my log and i had no kr when it happened.

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
that seems a little low. I run 26-38 under normal conditions, higher at 4k+ rpms. Not sure how a 408 is expected to be. No KR is a good thing. Keep an eye on that oil pressure, your oil pump might be on its way out besides whatever happened to release the oil.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You had smoke out of the tailpipes and oil under the hood? After you top it off with oil and fire it back up let us know what you find. I hope you have no piston damage!

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i hope the smoke was just from oil hitting the headers. i will know in a minute, i am gonna go mess with it.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Muff Daddy said:
i watched the oil pressure and fired it back up and i had around 20 sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. the motor didnt smoke when i restarted it and made no funny noises. i just checked my log and i had no kr when it happened.
I just did a search and 20 seems kind of low. Have you checked the oil pressure sensor for possible leaks? (just thinking out loud)

Edit - looking at a schematic of plugs and sensors on alldatadiy.com - pressure sensor is in the back not on the pass. side (at least for the LS1 and LS2)

Crank position sensor seal maybe?

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i just started it again after i filled the oil. nearest i can tell it threw 1/4 to 1/2 a quart tops. watched the oil pressure and let it idle up to full temp. it idles around 900 and oil pressure fluctuates between 20 and 27 at idle on the interceptor. i did see it flash 19 for a split second. it idled normal and pressure went up into upper 30's when i reved it a round 2500. it is cold out so i think the exhaust coming out was normal. it didnt linger or builup like it would if it was burning oil. when i put my hand in front of it all i got was a few water droplets like normall, i have no cats.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I don't know the layout of an iron block 408 but I just looked at my old ls1 block (sitting in my ****ing garage next to my engine-less ****ing Goat) and there is a small "plug" right under cylinder #6 that goes through to the crank-case and it's a place where oil could leak. That, dipstick seal, crank sensor seal are all I can think of.

Don't know why you'd be running enough crankcase pressure to blow something out though.

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my log said somewhere around 6400 rpms when it happened, could that explain the pressure?

·
gotta love a gto
1,096 Posts
that has happened to me twice once on the dyno, and once at the track. blew it right out of the dipstick tube, no ill effects from that

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so do i put a vent where the oil fill is and put a spring on the dipstick and call it good?

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i better pull the plugs on that side tomorrow and see if they are black.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Remember, I blew the dipstick on my old one and it was melted pistons. So it could be head gaskets, rings, or pistons.

But also check that block plug, which I missed also when we built mine. It slung a lot of oil around.

Main thing is compression check. If that turns out OK, then move on to the other suggestions.

Padre

·
Registered
995 Posts
I hope it didn't hurt anything too bad! Good luck!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts