LS1GTO.com Forums banner

4661 - 4680 of 4819 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Picked up an SAP spoiler from a neighbor. Still not sure if I should install it though since I'd have to drill a hole in the trunk. Hmmmm

·
05 Looks, 04 Slow
1,174 Posts
Got it up on ramps to find the coolant and oil leaks.

Luckily for me, the coolant leak seemed to be from a loose clamp on the lower radiator hose. tightened it up, no more dripping. Really excited for an easy fix on that one.

The oil leak appears to be either the rear main, the oil pan, or both. It'll be something I have to address after our move, so I won't get to that for a few months at best. I'll probably just do both, and throw in other goodies while I do. Monster clutch, f-body slave, remote bleeder, and new motor mounts. I had a new clutch done at 90k but since it was a daily, I just got a readily available LUK, and I'm fairly sure the shop didn't do the rear main seal.

·
GR-RRR!
4,445 Posts
Yesterday I pulled the front lower control arms off the car so I could install Whiteline poly bushings in the inner position. I already have poly in the rear radius rod location. The arms were a lot easier to get off than I thought they would be, the ball joints popped apart nicely, easier than expected with my newish ball joint tool. I used my old one so much it eventually failed! Wanted to get them apart in such a way so as to not damage the boots so I can reuse the ball joints as they are in fine shape. Though that bit of threadlocker the factory used on the ball joint nuts was a bear to deal with while trying to remove the nuts. My arms and pecs are rather sore today.

The only problem I've run into so far is that my shop press doesn't have the oomph to push out the bushings (really glad I didn't try to remove the bushings while the arms were still on the car). It appears the hydraulic jack used in my press is busted; just as I'm building up some pressure the handle kicks back, certainly not exerting the 12 tons of pressure it is rated for. So, off to HF later to get a replacement jack. Bushings won't be here at least until the end of the week so no real hurry.

·
GR-RRR!
4,445 Posts
So, yesterday I got a new jack for my press (I actually had a spare sitting on a shelf) and I was using my shop press to remove the inner bushings from the control arms. Holy crap were those things in there. It was all the effort the jack could provide to finally make those things move and when they did move they moved in a bang, not a gentle slide out. The way they sit in the arms there is very little lip on the arms themselves to provide support while pressing the bushings out and it was hard to find something just the right size to press on the bushing from the top side as they are just a little bigger than the largest SAE socket I have and just a little smaller than my next larger metric socket. I did a lot of deforming of the edges of the bushing shells before I got just the right sized pusher. Made me really nervous when the jack was about at its limit and then it releases all at once with a bang. And seeing the double C-beam support at the base of the press actually deform a bit was a little concerning. This work actually slightly deformed the end of the press ram and it is made of tough stuff.

Anyway, the arms came out of the experience with no harm done but I can see now why people prefer to buy the preloaded control arms with bushings and ball joints already installed. They've been cleaned up and painted, just waiting for the new Whiteline bushings to arrive so they can go back in the car.

Man, I'm glad I didn't have to replace the ball joints, I bet those are really stuck in there too.

·
Torrid 06 M6
589 Posts
Bought an '18 Zo6 and am going to start driving the GTO regularly again. Feels great to drive it again. Ordered TFS 220 heads and custom FlowTech cam, FAST 102, Kooks exhaust, etc. that will go in later this Summer hopefully.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Bought an '18 Zo6 and am going to start driving the GTO regularly again. Feels great to drive it again. Ordered TFS 220 heads and custom FlowTech cam, FAST 102, Kooks exhaust, etc. that will go in later this Summer hopefully.
Damn, baller!

I installed a GM flex fuel sensor today. Now I just need to get a pin so I can wire the signal into the PCM.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Got her back from the shop after Cam swap and the #s are in:
425hp / 404 tq with a nice flat band on the torque ... avg is 385

So stage 1 BTR cam with new --- Coated cam bearings ( pulled motor)
Dual springs/ Hardened push rods / Trunion upgrade/ Melling oil pump/ Water pump and hoses/ Timing chain/ Cold Case Radiator/ Monster level 1 Clutch/ Rear Seal / Oil pan gasket.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Runs like a Raped Ape and sound fantastic.
Idle is VG with a little lope.
Very happy with results and fixed that stupid rear seal while we had the clutch and tranny out

·
GR-RRR!
4,445 Posts
GD Whiteline! I ordered my parts last Friday through Summit. Of course the bushings I need are drop shipping from Whiteline. So they wait until TODAY to ship them and so now I won't have the bushings until Monday. The parts that shipped from Summit arrived yesterday......

Still no clue when my last part, a Green Filter USA filter, will even ship. No shipment notification from Green yet.

·
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse
1,464 Posts
GD Whiteline! I ordered my parts last Friday through Summit. Of course the bushings I need are drop shipping from Whiteline. So they wait until TODAY to ship them and so now I won't have the bushings until Monday. The parts that shipped from Summit arrived yesterday......

Still no clue when my last part, a Green Filter USA filter, will even ship. No shipment notification from Green yet.
Anything whiteline/lovells should be got from Duckman! He usually has everything in stock

·
GR-RRR!
4,445 Posts
Anything whiteline/lovells should be got from Duckman! He usually has everything in stock
Yeah, typically I would have but the price was the same but shipping was free with Summit. I was also ordering other things that Andy doesn't carry.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Removed aftermarket O2 sensor to "re-calibrate". Manufacturer says this needs to occur about every 6 months or every xxxx miles. As long as it stops flashing 7.4, I suppose it's not that big of a deal to do twice a year.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Couldn’t take the faded oxidized headlights anymore so I brought it to the paint shop and had them restored. Not sure if the before pice do justice to how bad they looked. Took the chance to have them install the sap grills too. Looks brand new again.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Definitely came out nice.

What did they charge to restore them?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Couldn’t take the faded oxidized headlights anymore so I brought it to the paint shop and had them restored. Not sure if the before pice do justice to how bad they looked. Took the chance to have them install the sap grills too. Looks brand new again.
Now put some headlight armor over them

·
Registered
81 Posts
They’re triple clear coated no need for armor and they charged $400 which was a hard pill to swallow but the car looks thousands better to me so well worth it IMO

4661 - 4680 of 4819 Posts