LS1GTO.com Forums banner

4941 - 4960 of 5071 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Took the front pads out to add more disc brake lube in hopes to stop this God awful squeal from these CTS-V brakes. Turns out it was the rears, or at least I hope. Will find out tomorrow when I remove the rear pads to inspect. I lubed the crap out of them when I installed them but apparently it wasn't enough.

·
Powdercoat all of it
194 Posts
Took the front pads out to add more disc brake lube in hopes to stop this God awful squeal from these CTS-V brakes. Turns out it was the rears, or at least I hope. Will find out tomorrow when I remove the rear pads to inspect. I lubed the crap out of them when I installed them but apparently it wasn't enough.
The rear cts-v squeal is well documented. There's a tsb our there for the ss where they suggest replacing the pad backing plates and using a specific lube in a specific spot, not just lubing the junk out of it. It's molykote cu-7439 and I forget the backing plate p/n, but it worked for my ss, my belair and my gto.

Washed and waxed mine, 7 days of shine in the forecast!

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Sweet, thanks. The only reason I was gonna just use more lube is because the itsme4g63 instructions say to just spooge grease all over the back of the pads and I, thinking I know better, only used it where the pistons were. Now that tsb is saying not to use any where the shim contacts the pistons.

·
Powdercoat all of it
194 Posts
Sweet, thanks. The only reason I was gonna just use more lube is because the itsme4g63 instructions say to just spooge grease all over the back of the pads and I, thinking I know better, only used it where the pistons were. Now that tsb is saying not to use any where the shim contacts the pistons.
Right, and not to bad mouth, but that kit also provides bolts that engage half the threads in the caliper. I bought the rear kit and ended up buying bolts that engage completely. I only lube where the tsb says to with the proper lube, and mine is fine.

·
Administrator
8,260 Posts
Drove it. Not having the vibrations I was dealing with makes me love the car again.

The car does need a lot of TLC. Front bumper should be resprayed.

View attachment 501853
Mmm, VZ’s. This pic reminds me that I need to pull mine out of the basement and slap them on the car soon.

Reactions: LS2-GTO

·
Worthless reject member
40,185 Posts
The rear cts-v squeal is well documented. There's a tsb our there for the ss where they suggest replacing the pad backing plates and using a specific lube in a specific spot, not just lubing the junk out of it. It's molykote cu-7439 and I forget the backing plate p/n, but it worked for my ss, my belair and my gto.

Washed and waxed mine, 7 days of shine in the forecast! View attachment 501925
That's a color option that should have came from the factory.

·
Worthless reject member
40,185 Posts
My factory rears on my 04 were squealing. turns out one of the boots were no longer gripping the groove on the pin and was letting crap in, and letting it rust and stick.

Fixed now, with new pads and rotors. FWIW i discovered (at least i think?) the 05/06 rear rotor inner drum diameter is a little different than the 04 rotors. Had to readjust the parking brake, as it became WAY off.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Right, and not to bad mouth, but that kit also provides bolts that engage half the threads in the caliper. I bought the rear kit and ended up buying bolts that engage completely. I only lube where the tsb says to with the proper lube, and mine is fine.
I got 5mm longer bolts from McMaster Carr too. Thanks for the info, this has been driving me nuts. I pretty much can't go anywhere with the windows down because of it

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
580 Posts
Finally installed the EE catch can I bought a few weeks ago. We'll see how much gunk is my intake with 142k miles on it once I remove it and the heads in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO SRM 104k
30 Posts
Update: I changed the front hubs along with brakes and rotors. Then changed out every pulley and belt. Checked all my bushing and suspension it was solid. the rotational squeeling is still there. Guess it's time to take a look at the rear. Even though it sounds like it's coming from the front

·
Registered
2005 GTO MT Red, Red, Pee the bed.
39 Posts
I installed wideband into passenger 02 sensor bung. Going to attempt using my LC2 wideband controller output #2 to simulate narrowband.
The old sensor's threads gave out upon removal and was able to get wideband sensor in.
I am too lazy today to weld in a new bung and too excited to get to tuning today not to try.
Figured I would use the heater in the old one, hook signal low (white) to battery negative post and signal high (blue) to the LC2's 2nd analog output.
Hope I don't let the magic smoke out of anything!

·
Powdercoat all of it
194 Posts
Replaced the old, crisp seat upholstery with lseats covers. Pleased, not the easiest set I've ever done, but id do it again.

I intend to get the headrests embroidered, rather than the seat back... I never liked that the gto was behind my back. For now, the stock headrests are together until I can get the new ones embroidered.

·
Registered
2005 GTO MT Red, Red, Pee the bed.
39 Posts
Replaced the old, crisp seat upholstery with lseats covers. Pleased, not the easiest set I've ever done, but id do it again.

I intend to get the headrests embroidered, rather than the seat back... I never liked that the gto was behind my back. For now, the stock headrests are together until I can get the new ones embroidered.

View attachment 502073
Sweet. Did you feel like you wrestled a bear afterwards?
Bet it smells better!

4941 - 4960 of 5071 Posts