LS1GTO.com Forums banner

5041 - 5060 of 5067 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Swapped diff fluid for the first time in a couple of years. Found radial leak near pinion seal (again), but it was still mostly full. Time for a driveshaft rebuild as well--some threads say diff can leak a bit from the spline threads as well. Got a solid project for the weekend.

·
Registered
114 Posts
took mine out today and put over 100 miles on it. felt freaking great. if only that damned belt squeal would go away...

·
Registered
78 Posts
took mine out today and put over 100 miles on it. felt freaking great. if only that damned belt squeal would go away...
Mine squeaked from a small leak in the power steering res last year, especially on startup and when it was wet outside. Tightened the hose up and swapped fluid, swapped the belt, and haven't heard a peep since.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Swapped diff fluid for the first time in a couple of years. Found radial leak near pinion seal (again), but it was still mostly full. Time for a driveshaft rebuild as well--some threads say diff can leak a bit from the spline threads as well. Got a solid project for the weekend.
I need to do this as well. On my list of priority to do items.

·
Powdercoat all of it
188 Posts
Still waiting on heads. Meanwhile, reupholstered the head rests to round out the new seat upholstery. The back head rests were crisp, fell apart during removal. Ive ordered some 20% ceramic tint for the back to try and mitigate this going forward. Also, re-loomed a few sections of the harness in the engine bay.

·
Is that FWD?
1,077 Posts
Getting ready to put these whiteline radius bushings on View attachment 502981
Nice. I did this a few years back with these same ones. Felt like I upgraded the brakes too, my stock ones were shot. Pretty easy to do. One side had a extra washer so I left it there.

Reactions: Pdiddyj205

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Nice. I did this a few years back with these same ones. Felt like I upgraded the brakes too, my stock ones were shot. Pretty easy to do. One side had a extra washer so I left it there.
Yeah I know about all the main bushings and things in the suspension that I need to replace. I had just ordered a whole polyurethane kit but then I found out that was a little overkill and I could save some money. Some Jack wagon before me put 225s all the way around and it's super sketchy to drive in the rain. I need to get some bigger tires and I'm planning on rolling the fenders as well.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Little video I put together of some highlights of my GTO build including cold start and wot pull: Procharged LS3 build

Short block built by TSP: LS3 aluminum block with forged internals and 24t reluctor.
Cam Motion custom cam
Untouched 241 heads with 660 lift btr spring kit, Ls6 intake, and stock throttle body
D1x procharger 15 psi
Rpm built level 6 4l60e yank 3400 pas converter
DSS 2 piece drive shaft, spool, gforce stubs, DSS half shafts
King springs, Viking shocks, bags, whiteline sway bar, diff mount bushing, and sub frame bushings.
Lovells bushings in the front.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Still waiting on heads. Meanwhile, reupholstered the head rests to round out the new seat upholstery. The back head rests were crisp, fell apart during removal. Ive ordered some 20% ceramic tint for the back to try and mitigate this going forward. Also, re-loomed a few sections of the harness in the engine bay.
View attachment 502932
Tint all around and a fitted sunshade has mostly spared my interior over the years. Also a big fan of Zaino Z-10 leather in a bottle, but I'm sure there's a lot of other great ones out there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Rolling up near 160k and a 700mi roadtrip to see family, it was time...

-Transmission fluid
-Diff fluid + pinion seal replacement
-Driveshaft carrier bearing / flex disk replacements
-Revshift trans mount insert
-Hinson motor mounts
-Handbrake cable replacement / adjustment

The car feels solid again. Probably proudest of the last one--handbrake hasn't worked for several years because cables splitting to each of the rear drums bundles up with rust and wear. Ordered a doorman replacement for the drivers side cable and got the inner assembly behind the rotor loosened up. Pretty easy with the exhaust and driveshaft removed.

Definite step change in NVH with the trans / motor mounts, but I like it. Feels more like a muscle car under the seat now. I gave up on a cushy ride years ago with BC coilovers and the other necessary poly mounts / bushings necessary to keep it on the road! Love the responsiveness and feeling the road.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I finally was
Those might be the best bang-for-buck upgrade I've ever done on mine. I'm sure you read up on it already, but the washer positions are important for alignment.
Yeah when I first put them on I wasn't paying attention and mixed up the mid and smallest washer but I caught my screw up while doing the other one.

Attachments

5041 - 5060 of 5067 Posts