LS1GTO.com Forums banner

5081 - 5093 of 5093 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Swapped tranny coolers and installed an oil cooler. Never realized how much the the PS cooler and AC accumulator take up valuable real estate.

·
1 of 40,757
6,419 Posts
Replaced the radiator. 2nd one since new. I bought this radiator off ebay 12 years ago. The last radiator went out before the warranty was over so ended up having a dealer in Pasadena do the work. That was the only time this car was at a dealer for work.
Required 20 mins to do the swap. Wife thought it would take hours. The look of surprise on her face when I was done before dinner was priceless.
This is definitely one of those jobs where the car is wonderful to work on.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Replaced the radiator. 2nd one since new. I bought this radiator off ebay 12 years ago. The last radiator went out before the warranty was over so ended up having a dealer in Pasadena do the work. That was the only time this car was at a dealer for work.
Required 20 mins to do the swap. Wife thought it would take hours. The look of surprise on her face when I was done before dinner was priceless.
This is definitely one of those jobs where the car is wonderful to work on.
Can I ask what you put in it? I put a OE style Tyco in mine 7yrs ago, but I'm looking at low-dollar all aluminum ones recently.

·
1 of 40,757
6,419 Posts
Its a Silla radiator. All those years ago I paid half what they go for now on ebay.
To my eyes it looks to be no different than stock and will probably fail just the same.

First one lasted 35,000 miles, last one started leaking @ 50,000 miles (maybe sooner).

If I didnt have this one in hand I'd buy a Mishimoto.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Got some new tires installed (finally)

·
Registered
203 Posts
took the door panels off to finally fix the falling off suede and replace the front stock tweeters with some Polk Db1001's.

·
GR-RRR!
5,657 Posts
Took it for a drive. :D

Relocated the remote IAT sensor from the DuSpeed location (front scoop below the air filter in front of the radiator to inside the intake plenum behind the air filter. I use VZ Clustermod to recalibrate the temperature gauge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally completed the 12 month build. I had a small-ish monthly budget so it took a while to get the parts. I hit 161,000 miles last summer, the stock clutch starting to slip, engine pinging under hard acceleration, so I decided to put it up on jack stands and take it all apart. I rebuilt the engine and rest of the parts to stock except for LS7 clutch, Cold Case and Duspeed. I was surprised how hard it was to find original parts. Thanks to mavman and gtog8, it looks better than before.

IMG_20200721_202252475.jpg

·
Registered
129 Posts
Finally completed the 12 month build. I had a small-ish monthly budget so it took a while to get the parts. I hit 161,000 miles last summer, the stock clutch starting to slip, engine pinging under hard acceleration, so I decided to put it up on jack stands and take it all apart. I rebuilt the engine and rest of the parts to stock except for LS7 clutch, Cold Case and Duspeed. I was surprised how hard it was to find original parts. Thanks to mavman and gtog8, it looks better than before.

View attachment 503541
Looks awesome!

·
1 of 40,757
6,419 Posts
After pulling out the GTO from the garage this morning, my usual garage floor inspection revealed a small puddle of engine oil. My first thought was the oil filter grilled cheese sandwich plate was loose. After removing the skid plate it was obvious I installed a long oil filter (I swear I bought a short) because the skid plate rubbed through the bottom of the filter. It was just a pin hole at this point but very soon could have been something serious. Visions of my GTO burning down on the road side came to mind. Picked up an ACDelco shorty and did a quick oil change before work.

I still smile seeing the underside of my GTO being rust free.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Upgrading the radio, because I miss blue tooth bad. Bought a sub and amp too. Probably replace rear speakers too. Ordered new rotors and pads. Gave it a wax job last night. Sober fun, lol

·
GR-RRR!
5,657 Posts
After pulling out the GTO from the garage this morning, my usual garage floor inspection revealed a small puddle of engine oil. My first thought was the oil filter grilled cheese sandwich plate was loose. After removing the skid plate it was obvious I installed a long oil filter (I swear I bought a short) because the skid plate rubbed through the bottom of the filter. It was just a pin hole at this point but very soon could have been something serious. Visions of my GTO burning down on the road side came to mind. Picked up an ACDelco shorty and did a quick oil change before work.

I still smile seeing the underside of my GTO being rust free.

View attachment 503619
Holy smokes! Nothing like catching this at the right time.

5081 - 5093 of 5093 Posts