LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Power/Weight
91 Posts
With or without an extreme weight reduction?

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the gto and the corvette bodies both cut through the air evenly. even tho you wouldn't think it. and they are able to get up to those speeds so i know the bodies are capabe of doing it. and they got that 7.4 litre gto over 200 mph and it could probably go faster .

·
Power/Weight
91 Posts
Fully adjustable coil-overs, possibly tubular controll arms, adjustable swaybar, all rubber bushings upgraded, and more weight reduction.

·
Because race car
2,835 Posts
Check out that Car and Driver article with the 900ish hp GTO. Basically just Pedders basic stuff and it did 190mph (don't think it actually hit 200). Guess it was well on its way to 200 but it had some type of head gasket leak or something so they shut it down.

Basically....you don't need to do much (if anything). Don't some of the German guys do 170-180 on the Autobahn from time to time?

I would think the only limiting thing would be tires. Don't want a blowout at that speed!:eek:

·
Registered
901 Posts
St.Mary said:
Check out that Car and Driver article with the 900ish hp GTO. Basically just Pedders basic stuff and it did 190mph (don't think it actually hit 200). Guess it was well on its way to 200 but it had some type of head gasket leak or something so they shut it down.

Basically....you don't need to do much (if anything). Don't some of the German guys do 170-180 on the Autobahn from time to time?

I would think the only limiting thing would be tires. Don't want a blowout at that speed!:eek:
I think you mean the Motor Trend article, right?

·
Kollar Racing Products
5,433 Posts
The car needs a diet first and foremost. I know the govenor can be disabled on an LS1...I dont know about an LS2. Front end lift would be the enemy. Lowering the car will help. Changing to a 3:23 or a 2:90 gear should put you very clost to your goal. The big problem is where are you going to drive that fast. I have seem 145 and going any faster would be a sure ticket to body bag on LI roads.

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh and lol i'm not sure if i have the guts to do 200 just yet. but there was a time that i never even imagined 140. so i'm sure it won't be a problem

·
Wanted: engine to match
161 Posts
I think 500+hp, a good lowering job, governor, and tires would probably do it. All I know is that with a nice several mile straight stretch mine (350hp) did 160 easy, with 4 people in the car. (yeah not smart, but it was about the safest road possible)
Gears to make top speed closer to 200, not 250 would help I bet. I really doubt its possibility with stock power without serious weight and aerodynamic alterations though.

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok. so basic bolt ones. intake. exhaust. a nice tune. lowered front. and removing 100-200 pounds should just about do it? hey. will changing the gears in the rear diff void warrenty? and if so. what will it void the warrenties on?

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
The magazine car had 3.23's (maybe 3.06's?) or something like that to do the top-end run.

You've also got to think about supplying oil. Then there's tires and wheel balance and downforce.

I wouldn't even think about going above 160 unless I had a lot of professionals who have done it before giving me advice. You're one bump or dip away from going airborn.

Padre

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
PadreGTO said:
The magazine car had 3.23's (maybe 3.06's?) or something like that to do the top-end run.

You've also got to think about supplying oil. Then there's tires and wheel balance and downforce.

I wouldn't even think about going above 160 unless I had a lot of professionals who have done it before giving me advice. You're one bump or dip away from going airborn.

Padre
Big+1 :gears:

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
PadreGTO said:

Padre
+2

Had a 3rd Gen camaro up around 155 and thought everything was cool, then noticed the car start to 'float' hit the brakes and they did nothing,....
Scariest moment of my life, and i'll never do that again......
Oh to be 21 again....those were the days
:pir_flag:

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
You are not entering uncharted territory. MTI has done 193 with a Pedders Track II System. They were ecstatic with the vehicle dynamics at that speed. My GTO has seen speeds in excess of 160 and the vehicle was as stable as it is at 100. My vehicle is wider than stock and does run on a lot more rubber.

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JusticePete said:
You are not entering uncharted territory. MTI has done 193 with a Pedders Track II System. They were ecstatic with the vehicle dynamics at that speed. My GTO has seen speeds in excess of 160 and the vehicle was as stable as it is at 100. My vehicle is wider than stock and does run on a lot more rubber.
thats what i was hoping to here. i'm not trying to be special or anything. i just want this for my self and it's nice to hear that i'm not the only fool trying this

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
jamesbiz said:
thats what i was hoping to here. i'm not trying to be special or anything. i just want this for my self and it's nice to hear that i'm not the only fool trying this
Just don't try it on a public road....:drink:

1 - 20 of 120 Posts