LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FrankieGTO208
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys. I recently ordered a set of Baer Decela Rotors for the front of my 04 Goat and also a set of rear ones too. Now what i would like to know is if you like or dislike the rotors, and if you think i really need them for the back. oh yea and what brake pads would you guys use?

thanx,
FrankieGTO208

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
No more Baers for me........

JET

·
Herr Trigger
236 Posts
J.E.T. said:
No more Baers for me........

JET
Any particular reason why?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ive had all 3 kinds of rotors now on my GTO. Stock ->Slotted -> and now the baer decela rotors. IMO hands down the best package on my 04 has been the hawk pads and baer's decela rotors. I know people will chime in that you will get cracks here cracks there. Again IMO, I will deal with that door when I come to it. I feel the braking has increased tremendously since installing them. Fade has been decreased considerably, and I want all out performance constantly. Yes I probably should get a entire brake upgrade, but currently my money is being spent on a maggie and pedders suspension parts, so I felt the decela rotors were a great upgrade for a minimal cost. If you like them get them. Do not let anyone sway you with negative comments because these rotors are good quality parts for the cost.. Its your car do what you feel is in your best interest for your GTO.

·
Missing my little one.
21,341 Posts
after seeing all of the troubles people have had with all the Baer products no way would I ever go with a set of their rotors.

3 best options in my opinion are:
"cheap route" of powerslots, SS lines and hawk pads
the 05/06 gto brake conversion
or the monster Stoptech set up.

·
Desu?
669 Posts
Kin6slay3r said:
Ive had all 3 kinds of rotors now on my GTO. Stock ->Slotted -> and not the baer decela rotors. IMO hands down the best package on my 04 has been the hawk pads and baer's decela rotors. I know people will chime in that you will get cracks here cracks there. Again IMO, I will deal with that door when I come to it. I feel the braking has increased tremendously since installing them. Fade has been decreased considerably, and I want all out performance constantly. Yes I probably should get a entire brake upgrade, but currently my money is being spent on a maggie and pedders suspension parts, so I felt the decela rotors were a great upgrade for a minimal cost. If you like them get them. Do not let anyone sway you with negative comments because these rotors are good quality parts for the cost.. Its your car do what you feel is in your best interest for your GTO.
He is asking because he wants to do whats in his cars best interest. If he asks he should know about baers...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wasnt questioning his asking. I was simply stating that I like the baer rotors despite all the negative comments made. Everyone knows crossdrilled rotors will crack soon or later, and yet alot of people claim they are crap, and hence should avoid them. I was giving my opinion and also stating that he should decide whats in his best interest for HIS Gto, and not to decide simply on the negative comments most frequently seen on these forums. Hence my not frequently posting on these forums. There is always someone there to bash a statement made by someone because they read into some context without really understanding the way someone is trying to convey the message.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
A04GTO said:
Any particular reason why?
Well it's like this......I bought a complete set of Baer's from Mike White @ DMS in Feb. of this year. They worked like a charm until about two months ago when I started getting braking vibration through the steering wheel. I told Mike White about it and he sent me a "shim kit" that he claimed was a result of a TSB from GM. I took the kit up to my shop and they informed me that was not the "fix", that the rotors were warping, I guess due to heat issues. So I contacted DMS again but Mike avoided me this time (we're getting ready for court with him and DMS now). I then contacted Baer direct (what a joke) and finally got them to send me the front rotors to replace the warped ones. Just the other day they finally arrived (the Baer "rep" claimed they had to "make them up special" and that was the delay). Oh, btw, they charged me for them too (over $500), said they had to see my old ones before they gave me my money back (sound familiar?). Took the unopened box up to my install shop and left the car overnight so the install could be done first thing the next morning. Next morning I get a call from my mechanic, he tells me one of the NEW rotors is defective and can't be used. When I got there I couldn't believe my eyes, the rotor was actually "unfinished" around the outer edge! It looked like something made in a third world country. :bs: For three quality control people at Baer to miss this was just pathetic, even the sales rep. at Baer couldn't believe it when I emailed the photo to him. I sent the old defective rotor and the new defective rotor back to Baer yesterday.......directly to Hal Baer's desk where he has sign for the package. I want the owner to see what kind of product his company is putting out on the streets. The one rotor that was installed has helped tremendously so it was just as I stated.......warped rotor. I don't know about anyone else but I've had nothing but trouble from a lot of the vendors who shill on this site. Kinda takes the fun out of modding IMO........

JET

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
I had the Baer 13 inch GT kit on the front and for street and show use they are fine but any real hard use and the rotors just can't handle the heat. I went through 2 sets of rotors and at that time went with another option. I'm still waiting for replacement 13 inch rotors. It has been 4 weeks and now they say another 4 weeks . . .

As far as pads go - I like the EBC Reds for street and the yellows for any type of track use.

·
Registered
33 Posts
so here's me...i was deterred from the Baer rotors by reading posts on this board, and convinced unequivocally by face2face with a dissatisfied user (Trans-Am/Firehawk application)
i went with Powerslots and Hawk pads, c5 'vette sized fronts. I cannot express how pleased I am with this choice. I DAILY top 100mph on the Autobahn, frequent braking from 120mph+ down to 40mph. I've done and autocross and SOME track day stuff. I track at the Nurburgring, 14 miles of constant brake application, where the stockers met thier demise. The Powerslots and Hawk pads STILL impress me.
For anyone considering the options at this price point, I don't think there is a better option than this. Cracks and failures are not an option I'd consider risking.
ATW,
RED

1 - 11 of 11 Posts