LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered Offender
33,872 Posts
they were lost in a horrible flood while trying to save some dumb ho?

·
GR-RRR!
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2004 M6 PMB
305 Posts
Wow, I never saw that video.
The Katrina flooded GTO was yellow, I believe.
Other notable special GTO was the "Livestrong" yellow GTO. Wonder if the original owner still has it.

·
GR-RRR!
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are U2's still in service?
I'm not entirely sure but they were chasing them with Corvettes and Camaros in at least the 2010's. I know the SR-71s were all retired at one point and then a pair were pulled back into service because they had no other aircraft that could do what they do. But I think those two were eventually retired as well. There is one mounted in the atrium at the SAC and Aerospace Museum about 15 minutes from me. It is impressive and a little scary looking. A lot bigger than I would have thought.

·
Fake bacon lover
11,154 Posts
Sold to auction a decade ago?

Are U2's still in service?
Maybe?

I'd think most of the surveillance jobs (not covered by satalites) have gone to the Global Hawk Drone.

The romantic guy in me likes to think 'something' else is flying.. but... probably not.

I'm not entirely sure but they were chasing them with Corvettes and Camaros in at least the 2010's. I know the SR-71s were all retired at one point and then a pair were pulled back into service because they had no other aircraft that could do what they do. But I think those two were eventually retired as well. There is one mounted in the atrium at the SAC and Aerospace Museum about 15 minutes from me. It is impressive and a little scary looking. A lot bigger than I would have thought.

Man that'd be one cool museum to go to. Just not sure why I'd ever be outside of Lincoln Nebraska.

·
GR-RRR!
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just not sure why I'd ever be outside of Lincoln Nebraska.
Well, to come see that cool museum of course! :D

A wildlife safari park is just across the Interstate from that museum.

·
Registered
308 Posts

theres one in hutchinson,ks too at the museum. i remember seeing it as a kid. theyre sweet jets. they leaked fuel on the tarmac because of panels needing to be so loose fitting to deal with the thermal expansion at speed.

·
Suffering Fools
15,271 Posts
Sold to auction a decade ago?

Maybe?

I'd think most of the surveillance jobs (not covered by satalites) have gone to the Global Hawk Drone.

The romantic guy in me likes to think 'something' else is flying.. but... probably not.

Man that'd be one cool museum to go to. Just not sure why I'd ever be outside of Lincoln Nebraska.
There's one in NYC too on the USS Intrepid museum.

·
GR-RRR!
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
theres one in hutchinson,ks too at the museum. i remember seeing it as a kid. theyre sweet jets. they leaked fuel on the tarmac because of panels needing to be so loose fitting to deal with the thermal expansion at speed.
I've heard the same thing. At the local museum they have one of the engines out of the plane and on display on the floor where you can get a close look. This used to be classified information so it is really interesting to see such a thing up close. It is very large, extremely complex and very interesting.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The U-2 is still in service and Lockheed Martin was just awarded a large contract to modernize them. I’d be surprised if they’re retired before 2050.

As for the chase cars, the last I heard was that the AF is only using Dodge Chargers now.

·
Registered Offender
33,872 Posts
The U-2 is still in service and Lockheed Martin was just awarded a large contract to modernize them. I’d be surprised if they’re retired before 2050.

As for the chase cars, the last I heard was that the AF is only using Dodge Chargers now.
yup I just read an article about them last week along with their new chase cars as well...…..they also used to use G8's too

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
527 Posts
I've heard the same thing. At the local museum they have one of the engines out of the plane and on display on the floor where you can get a close look. This used to be classified information to it is really interesting to see such a thing up close. It is very large, extremely complex and very interesting.
Our next-door neighbor when I was growing up was an engineer at Westinghouse and worked on the Blackbird's engine design. He also had some other cool projects and was a smart guy. He was also an NRA member and went target shooting. When our house got robbed (I opened the door and saw them in the house!), he came over with a rifle and fired a couple shots in the air to "let them know not to come back." :)

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
527 Posts
We had a lot of woods behind out house, so he knew the bullets would land in the middle of nowhere.

·
06 Cyclone GTO
3,526 Posts

·
Registered Offender
33,872 Posts
kinda looks like a killer whale

1 - 20 of 22 Posts