LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The battle of wits has begun.
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Long story short, when I removed the shifter to ease the installation of the t56 into my GTO, I saw this. It was hard rubber that was all chewed up. I vacuumed it out and I have been searching the internet with no success. What part goes in here so that the shifter socket doesn't wobble around? What can I use instead?

·
TACHNUP
2,308 Posts
You replace the entire shifter assembly with an aftermarket one that does away with the OE linkage system and all of its associated sloppiness.

·
Registered
676 Posts
If you do a new shifter, I highly suggest some Cobra Bob or simiiiar gaskets, both around the mounting plate and between the two-piece shifter handle

I've about to tear in mine again just to replace the handle-to-linkage gasket because I forgot when I did my LS7 clutch last October (note: LS2-GTO is almost done with his).

With the gasket missing you get annoying rattle, mainly in 4th.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I took my original shifter apart and took a couple pictures of what goes in there.
It's a light gray rubber cup.
I think they used lithium grease for lubrication.
It's amazing it was able to be used in that condition.
I would suggest putting that to rest and getting a new one.
I have a Ripshift and recently tried a Billet Pro which I didn't care for so I went back to the GMM.

Here's what it looks like.

Attachments

·
150k Club
3,955 Posts
I took my original shifter apart and took a couple pictures of what goes in there but can't post them from my phone or tablet (problem with this site?).
It's amazing you were still able to use it in that condition.
I have a Ripshift and recently tried a Billet Pro which I didn't care for so I went back to the GMM.
+1 on the billet pro, I’m taking out the mgwp on my other GTO and intstalling it in the ibm. I felt like the GMM was a slight notch above the mgwp.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,009 Posts

·
The battle of wits has begun.
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took my original shifter apart and took a couple pictures of what goes in there.
It's amazing it was able to be used in that condition.

Here's what it looks like.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for...and also what I can't find on the internet. I'll have to see if I can't use some abs or rubber as a replacement with some grease.

And for those saying buy an aftermarket shifter, that sounds great but...

1. I haven't felt what a GTO is like with a stock shifter. So I'd like to experience that, because maybe I'll like it. (I've driven a friend's c5 with an unknown short throw shifter and I thought it felt like garbage).

2. Another part that is damn near impossible to find is the "dust shield". That white rubber & metal frame that bolts to the tunnel. Yeah I don't have that. So replacing the shifter shouldn't be a problem with the transmission installed.

I intend to build my own dustshield that will be easily accessible.

·
GR-RRR!
4,400 Posts
1. No, you won't like it. The stock shifter is crap. Plus, unless you buy a good used original shifter, you will never get it to work properly. The stock shifter, when absolutely new and unabused it will work okay, but still won't function great on enthusiastic use. Plus, it will wear out or break quickly. The time and money spent getting the stock to work would get you pretty close to just getting a superior shifter. You need to keep in mind that the original shifter was designed to almost completely eliminated any and all NVH from the shifter knob, the downside of which makes the shifter rubbery and vague and nowhere near as durable as it should be.

2. Another reason to just go aftermarket. Those boots are impossible to find new or even good used. Making one will again just make the whole same "time and cost" argument made above.

Personally I don't fathom the comments by jbo and NHF above, I found the Billet Pro shifter to be the best shifter I've ever experienced in the GTO. But to each his own. Excluding the B&M and Hurst, any aftermarket shifter is vastly superior to the stocker.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts