to use with 38000miles on the engine?

thanks,

javier :eek:
I recommend Mobil 1 5W-30.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
lanceygto said:
I have similar weather and I use Mobil 1 10W- 30 with Motion Plus antifriction additive. I have used Torco with its antifriction additive but does not get even near Mobil 1 with Motion Plus combination.

Based on?

Not a fan of additives. Can't go wrong with Mobil1 5W30.
German Castrol has more of the good stuff in it :)

·
riding the wave!
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys!
so, M1 5-30W it is, right? M1 is synthetic, right?
any suggestions on the filter.

keep 'em coming!:)

·
dum dum dum dum dudum
6,217 Posts
Either a M1 filter or a K&N filter. You can actually run with those filters for about 4-5K miles before changing oil. That however is based on how hard you drive the car.

·
riding the wave!
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i like the idea of the M1 filter. thanks!
i have been driving the car on weekends only, lately, but don't drive it too hard. except, man! we do get challenged, don't we?! lol
then, i play, but that is not often.

·
gotta love a gto
1,096 Posts
i just switched from the m1 to royal purple 10w40. so far here the heat my oil pressure stays up at idle, when hot it would be about 17 psi at idle. with rp it is about 24 psi.

·
Kahuna Bill
726 Posts
On the flip side. I dropped the synthetic first chance I got. Dont like em. If you are like me and religiously change your oil at regular intervals (4 me, every 3,000) then there is no sense in the synth. stuff. At 1500 miles I went back to good old Castrol 10w40. For me the jury is still out on synth. oil. Seen a lot of motors with both...sorry, but I see no difference in wear. But, to each his own. Im just giving you another option. Oh, and I use A/C delco pf46 filter....no need for anything else.

·
Registered
703 Posts
castrol german 0-30 is the way to go

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
German Castrol has more Zinc Phosphours, ZDDP and Zoil then most off the shelf oil. Run it in my families fleet, 7500 mile intervals.

Whats not to like about synthetics? Some people have a fasination for mineral based oil however quite a few "synthetics" use mineral oil basestocks, mineral oil in the next API rating SM (?) will be a Group II oil minimum, just a few additives short of being a considered a synthetic.

·
dum dum dum dum dudum
6,217 Posts
mikesgtoinvegas said:
i just switched from the m1 to royal purple 10w40. so far here the heat my oil pressure stays up at idle, when hot it would be about 17 psi at idle. with rp it is about 24 psi.
17 psi is pretty damn low. I idle between 30 and 32 psi. After some hard driving it may drop to 29 psi but thats it. There was one time I didnt change my oil for 4K and I still idled at 30 psi. However at throttle pressure was a bit lower that with new filter and oil. At wot I see 60 psi easy. Normal acceleration I get up to 40 psi. Not saying its the oil that your using but may be something else. Just a heads up.

·
riding the wave!
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
is the castrol german 0-30w good for my 38k miles?

i really appreciate all of the feedback.
it is helping.

thanks!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I use Amsoil 5w-30. Hot idle is 40-41 psi. Amsoil is a full synthetic not a partial blend like some of the other "synthetics" Goat has 37,000 mile on it!

·
Addicted to the go fast pedal
1,000 Posts
GMH GTO said:
German Castrol has more Zinc Phosphours, ZDDP and Zoil then most off the shelf oil. Run it in my families fleet, 7500 mile intervals.

Whats not to like about synthetics? Some people have a fasination for mineral based oil however quite a few "synthetics" use mineral oil basestocks, mineral oil in the next API rating SM (?) will be a Group II oil minimum, just a few additives short of being a considered a synthetic.
Please tell me where to find this German stuff.. Everywhere I go they don't have it.. I went to napa once and they had Amsoil 0-40 but only 4 bottles..

Now this Castrol German stuff I can't find at any store.. Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong stuff? Is it labeled just that??

Thanks

·
gotta love a gto
1,096 Posts
gm spec for oil pressure when hot. these are min #s 6psi at 1000 rpm 17 psi at 2k and 24 psi at 4k. so i am well over these it is not a concern. max pressure is 57 will open bypass valve.

·
Pop
617 Posts
Chef Ron said:
castrol german 0-30 is the way to go
Is what goes in this GOAT!
yes it is labeled (Made In Germany)

·
Registered
429 Posts
quote=JamesW51]Is what goes in this GOAT!
yes it is labeled (Made In Germany)[/quote]

German Castrol the Goat loves it! :thumbs:

[

1 - 20 of 33 Posts