LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered Offender
32,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had my diehard platinum p6 battery lose a cell last week and while it is under warranty sears no longer carries this battery so im kinda stuck on trying to figure out a suitable replacement. the p6 had a 740 cca rating and 100 min reserve in a group 25 size but im wanting to stick to a higher capacity type of battery so what sizes has everyone been able to fit in with no clearance issues?

kind of looking at a sears diehard platinum group 35 size with a 850 cca rating but unsure of the fit. if i recall our cars take a group 85 size which gives me according to ac delco 9.1in L 6.8in W 7.9in H and the group 35 im looking at has a spec of 9.5in L and 8.9in H they dont provide a width so im kinda screwed in that dept

advice is welcome, thanks

·
Unleaded Regular Member
1,903 Posts
Im running a 35 also I believe. I know it has 850cca.

·
Show Car
9,516 Posts
Group 35 is the stock size battery. I am running a Odyssey group 35 in mine now, as my factory one finally died last month.

·
dudemanbrahguy
327 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Exide-FP-AGM35-Sealed-Automotive-Battery/dp/B00AAVISH6

I'm rocking one of these. No problems so far, but I've only had it for a few months and haven't stressed it or anything. I have a stock stereo and leave my car on a trickle charger over the winter. It gets excellent reviews.

I'm a little pissed at the price. I paid over 200 for mine. ~160 is a great deal for that IMO.

I have a lot of experience with Optima yellow tops and red tops over the years, and can confirm the reports that their quality has gone to shit. Do not purchase an Optima battery.

·
Registered Offender
32,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bingo thats what i needed, gonna go tell the sears dude to kiss my ass.....lol

been fighting them for over a week for a replacement under warranty and since they dont show an application for a gto in their system they were trying to void my warranty untili bitched on the complaint line and district manager got involved

·
Registered Offender
32,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
http://www.amazon.com/Exide-FP-AGM35-Sealed-Automotive-Battery/dp/B00AAVISH6

I'm rocking one of these. No problems so far, but I've only had it for a few months and haven't stressed it or anything. I have a stock stereo and leave my car on a trickle charger over the winter. It gets excellent reviews.

I'm a little pissed at the price. I paid over 200 for mine. ~160 is a great deal for that IMO.

I have a lot of experience with Optima yellow tops and red tops over the years, and can confirm the reports that their quality has gone to shit. Do not purchase an Optima battery.
no way in hell would i buy an optima, once interstate took them over i knew it wasnt going to be long before the quality went downhill. i have had great luck with the diehard platinum batteries up until this point. have 6 of them between my other cars and this one just dropped a cell over the course of this brutal winter

·
dudemanbrahguy
327 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about the DieHard Platinums. I originally went looking for one of those, as they're simply a rebadged Odyssey with the excellent (unless you have a GTO, apparently) Sears warranty, but was disappointed to learn they'd discontinued the Group 35 size.

You can still get the G35 straight from Odyssey, but it will cost more and not offer the same warranty service Sears is SUPPOSED to offer.

·
Registered Offender
32,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well according to their website they still offer the platinum in the group 35 size so thats what im going for tomorrow. once i learned a few years back about who actually made these batteries for sears i bought one without hesitation and they have served me very well in my other vehicles but we all know how the gto's like to kill batteries

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Group 85 is stock. Group 35 is a little taller and will fit. I had to go back to an 85 to get my intercooler reservoir to fit on top.

·
dudemanbrahguy
327 Posts
well according to their website they still offer the platinum in the group 35 size so thats what im going for tomorrow. once i learned a few years back about who actually made these batteries for sears i bought one without hesitation and they have served me very well in my other vehicles but we all know how the gto's like to kill batteries
They still show it on the website, but you can't get one anymore. Maybe if your store has old stock. The website won't let you order one, I tried.

I've only owned my GTO for about 6 months, but after reading the stories about the parasitic drain, I just started leaving it on the charger if I'm not going to drive it for more than 2 or 3 days.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm using a Duralast 34R AGM(750CCA, 120 Capacity),
Have been using it for about 6 months without any issues and the good thing about duralast brand is that is owned by autozone and if the battery fails within the warranty period they replace it at the store without making a big deal out of it.

·
05 Looks, 04 Slow
1,174 Posts
I've been running a duralast for about a year and a half. I planned to get something nice, but my stocker died without any warning and I needed one IMMEDIATELY. I have had no issues with it.

That being said I have no extras to drain the battery.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,049 Posts
Group 85 is stock and saves weight over a 35. Replaced my POS yellowtop with a Vatozone gold and my embarrassing rash cleared up.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Im with most of you. Id never buy an Optima again. I had a yellow top in my TA back in 99+ and never had a problem. Went thru 2 redtops and 2 Alternators in the GTO. Went with an XS Power D3400 Group 34 battery and havent looked back.

·
Registered Offender
32,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They still show it on the website, but you can't get one anymore. Maybe if your store has old stock. The website won't let you order one, I tried.

I've only owned my GTO for about 6 months, but after reading the stories about the parasitic drain, I just started leaving it on the charger if I'm not going to drive it for more than 2 or 3 days.
just picked up the new battery. they had a diehard platinum group 35 in stock with a date code of jan-2014 so cant get much newer than that. its a bit tighter fit than the OEM group 85 unit but fits without much issue once i made sure the cables were away from anything to rub on them

specs on the diehard platinum P-5 group 35 battery are 850 cca and 130 min reserve

·
Registered Offender
32,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Group 85 is stock and saves weight over a 35. Replaced my POS yellowtop with a Vatozone gold and my embarrassing rash cleared up.
with how heavy this damn car is what difference does it make:bomb:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm also in the market for another battery, I cheaped out last time I bought one and I don't want to make that mistake again.

At the Group 35 Platinum level,
Duralast: $160, 680CCA, 100 minutes, 3 years replacement, 38 lbs.

Diehard: $230, 850CCA, 130 minutes, 4 years replacement, 50lbs.

I've always been a Diehard fan, but I'm interested in opinions if it's worth the extra 70 bucks.

I also don't have a battery charger with an AGM function:/ Normally I wouldn't think it matters since it'll be topped off in the car, but I park her all winter. I guess I could grab one of those too if necessary.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Duralast 34R AGM 750CCA, 120 Minutes, 3 year warranty and just over an inch longer than the 35 for $146

·
dudemanbrahguy
327 Posts
Son of a... My local store told me they were no longer able to get them in that size and the website for sears, Kmart, and craftsman all showed no stock back then, and still today. I could have sworn I also read some threads from a Google search on it back then that they were not available in the g35 anymore.

Sorry for passing along bad info. Just wish I'd been able to get one, I'd have gone that route over my exide.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The 34R did sound tempting, but this morning the Diehard 35 Platinum just went on sale online, limited time, down to $184 from $230, so I'm headin there now! Get it quick!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts