LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts

This is the 'Ooops' document....Hope this helps Shag... :)

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does have a lot of useful info, but I can't seem to find out one way or the other if the LS2 is just an LS1 punched out to 6.0L with LS6 heads or if they came up with a totally new head design.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
LS2 is a block redesign. Evolutionary compared to LT1-LS1 jump.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mrgto said:
LS6 style
LOL ok... so then are they the same chambers etc at the LS6 head with say different valves or what?

Enquiring minds want to know :secret:

·
Registered
223 Posts
The LS2 is stronger than the LS6 let alone the LS1. On Corvette Forum they had a dyno sheet from GM it self comparing the LS2 to the LS6. Its true that the LS6 had better HP peak number, but it was around 5900-6100RPM. On ther other hand, the LS2 kicks the LS6 butt in the TQ department. It had almost 30-35 TQ extra from 1000RPM to 5000RPM which will be better suited for a heavier car like the GTO. Here is the graph http://64.81.147.40//albums/album50/P4237723.jpg

So i think GM did a very good job in choosing the LS2 over the LS6 for the GTO. They also dont have to keep producing two different engines anymore because they can use the LS2 from the vettes in the GTO's and save money. Good move GM :thumbs: Now i think they should use the LS2 in the CTS-V.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
LSs1Power said:
The LS2 is stronger than the LS6 let alone the LS1. On Corvette Forum they had a dyno sheet from GM it self comparing the LS2 to the LS6. Its true that the LS6 had better HP peak number, but it was around 5900-6100RPM. On ther other hand, the LS2 kicks the LS6 butt in the TQ department. It had almost 30-35 TQ extra from 1000RPM to 5000RPM which will be better suited for a heavier car like the GTO. Here is the graph http://64.81.147.40//albums/album50/P4237723.jpg

So i think GM did a very good job in choosing the LS2 over the LS6 for the GTO. They also dont have to keep producing two different engines anymore because they can use the LS2 from the vettes in the GTO's and save money. Good move GM :thumbs: Now i think they should use the LS2 in the CTS-V.
Save money by not producing two different engines...Ah that makes me giggle inside. Do you realize how inconsequential the cost of a single engine that's already tooled for is in the long run? GM makes a CRAP TON of engines. Are they changing the CTS-V to the LS2 as well? I haven't heard anything anywhere to suggest that. They're not switching engines, if they do indeed do that, to save money.

·
Registered
223 Posts
phobos512 said:
Do you realize how inconsequential the cost of a single engine that's already tooled for is in the long run? GM makes a CRAP TON of engines. Are they changing the CTS-V to the LS2 as well? I haven't heard anything anywhere to suggest that. They're not switching engines, if they do indeed do that, to save money.

LS1 and LS2 have different Intake manifold, TB, heads, cam, pistons, slighlty different block, etc.... Don't u think they will save money if they canceled a power line that produce the LS1, LS6 and just kept the LS2 power line to use on all cars. Think about it. I know that GM produce alot of different engines, but it doesnt make sense to have LS1, LS2, and LS6 for the cars. I know they produce LQ4-9 for the trucks, but thats a different story since its an iron block. Im sure the LS2 will cost the same amount of money for a LS1 or LS6 on GM, but the cost of keeping three different power lines will cost more than just one. U have different parts u have to produce even if the block is shared between the motors.
Also I didnt say they said anything about changing to a LS2 in the CTS-V. I SAID it would be nice to see the LS2 in a CTS-V as well.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK I really didnt want this to get into a pissing match over what engines will still be left around in the next few years. What I would like to know is if the LS2 uses the exact LS6 head or not. Thats all :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts