LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cliff notes: 12.505 @ 109.54 with a 1.792 60-foot. :)

Wow. What a day. First, I had the "funeral from hell" - a sweet old lady whose family left in the middle of the service to go to the local courthouse to sue each other. I thought I had seen it all, having done hundreds of funerals. Guess not. At least the ride out to the cemetary was fun - the local police and sheriff wanted to ride with me. :)

So, I decided to "declare myself a bonus" and took the 2.5 hour trip to the best local 1/4 mile strip at the end of the day. Radar shows showers popping up all over. I put my trust in the Big Guy. As I get closer, sure enough, a rainbow on the horizon over my destination.

Track is still wet, we wait for it to dry, first set of runs, everyone is all over the place. I pull a 13.0 @ 109. No way I am going home with a 13-second timeslip, but the 109 is very intriguing.

Mind you, a couple changes on my car: weighed in at 3785, 80 lbs less than my last run at this same track (took out only the spare and jack); borrowed a set of rims with drag radials (stock size, 17's, 5 lbs less than stock); and on top of a quarter tank of 93 gas, I added 3 gallons of 100 octane unleaded.

I get to the track, and guess what? I'm missing a lug and another is lose. I spent hours putting on those d*rn rims, even bought a new torque-wrench. Sigh. I didn't like these rims to begin with, but whatever.

Also, I've never raced on drag radials before. It showed. First run, a 2.1 60-foot. The drying track might have had something to do with it, but maybe I just smoked 'em too much.

Next run, I decide to do what I'm good at: I just flash-torque the converter (rev it to 1500-1800 and then just punch it).

12.556 @ 109.67 with a 1.855 60-foot. :eek: :cool:

So, next, someone blows up and the track shuts down for an hour. "Tony" comes to tell me that he just won $100 off me. Seems the announcers said I was a Mustang, and he won a bet with a friend who said I wouldn't run better than a 12.8. I told Tony he owed me a case of beer. :)

Next and final run: 12.505 @ 109.54 with a 1.792 60-foot.

Before the night began, I told everyone that if I ran a 12.5 @ 110, I'd be a happy camper. Close enough, so this means we get the dancing smilie:

Padre

*** I'll scan the slips tomorrow. Bedtime now. :)

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and on my first 12-second run I did all GTO's proud by smoking a modded-Cobra on slicks. Pulled an 0.077 reaction time. :) He ended up with a 13.154 @ 104, a good 6/10ths behind me. :)

What was sweet this time was that I didn't need the holeshot. :D

Padre

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Awesome. :D

I love the idea of Padre heading for the track, weather threatening, and the Big Guy shines a rainbow for him. God must drive a GTO.

I must say, your 1/4 mile runs are much more impressive than that 1/8th mile vid. Not that an 8.29 is shabby, but with all you've done I expected more. What you're seeing in the 1/4 is more evidence that our Goats need a little room to stretch their legs. And then WATCH OUT!

Dude, you've got a fast car. Go with God.

·
3,327 Posts
FLORIT said:
God must drive a GTO.
I think he is a member of this site, but he doesnt post a whole lot. :D

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
See!

My Momma always said that God fearing clean living would pay off. :) Too bad I didn't listen as well as I should have :sneaky: Padre gets the Big Guy for a co-pilot, I get a slightly tarnished guardian angel with a smoker's cough and who gets the hiccups now and then and spills beer on the interior for me to clean up....sigh. ;)
Great runs Padre. Get some for the Big Guy! If anybody gets a better ride than most of us, it should be you! :thumbs:

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FLORIT said:
I must say, your 1/4 mile runs are much more impressive than that 1/8th mile vid. Not that an 8.29 is shabby, but with all you've done I expected more. What you're seeing in the 1/4 is more evidence that our Goats need a little room to stretch their legs. And then WATCH OUT!
Yeah, I agree. The 8.29 was on street tires at a bad track. And these things are built for the 1/4, which is why I drove the 2.5 hours. But I knew from the 8.29 that I was shooting for at least 12.7 @ 106. The 12.5 @ 109 was just awesome. :)

Padre

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are the slips

Weight: 3785 lbs. Temp: 85F. Humidity: 80%. Barometer: around 30. Altitude, about 600 feet. Place: Silver Dollar Raceway, Reynolds, GA. (Ignore the time stamp on the slip - it was 8-10pm.)

Both opponents in the left lane were Mustangs. :) #70 seemed to have missed hitting his nitrous, #2 was a modded Cobra on drag slicks. :)

Padre

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For those who wonder whether or not horsepower calculators work, go here and type in my weight (3785) and my traps (my best of 109.84) and voila, a number within 0.5% of my what I dynoed: 393.5 hp.

Pretty cool, Padre

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
04bluegto said:
"The Holy Goat"
Haha! :D

I've been calling it "the Inquisitor", kind of a combination of priest and judge (as in GTO Judge). :judge:

But I like it: The Holy Goat. :)

Padre

·
Been here for a long time...
4,663 Posts
Here's what I get when I put in your numbers at smokemup.com:

You Entered:
Vehicle Weight - 3785 (lbs)
Trap Speed - 109.84 (mph)
Drivetrain Loss - 17 (%)

Results:
Rear Wheel HP - 340.6
Crankshaft HP - 410.4
Power to Weight (rwhp) - 11.1 (lower is better)
Power to Weight (crank hp) - 9.2 (lower is better)

You Entered:
Vehicle Weight - 3785 (lbs)
ET - 12.505
Drivetrain Loss - 17 (%)

Results:
382.6 Rear Wheel HP
461 Crankshaft HP

·
3,327 Posts
Mr. Coloradogoat can finally find it!

·
Former Goatherder
658 Posts
Radar shows showers popping up all over. I put my trust in the Big Guy. As I get closer, sure enough, a rainbow on the horizon over my destination.
LOL! Not only is it not raining, there is a rainbow :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
bengood24 said:
LOL! Not only is it not raining, there is a rainbow :)
Well well you got it to the track nice work, sorry it was so humid for you but those times are very good now its time for a 100 shot and a 3.73 you will be bottom elevens.

Cheers
MDMC

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
PadreGTO said:
Haha! :D

I've been calling it "the Inquisitor", kind of a combination of priest and judge (as in GTO Judge). :judge:

But I like it: The Holy Goat. :)

Padre
I do like "the Inquisitor"

You are having your very own Holy War (Inquisition) :gr_jest:

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Padre is my hero.

Dispense the ownage to all those GTO doubters and haters :hail:

rock on

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Great times PadreGTO. Another name....God Goat.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts