LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i dont now what cam i am geting just yet. but i now that i want a pritty good size one. probably a .585 or bigger lift i now i need push rodes,ti retainers,springs, is that all or what do i need. Also what can do you guys think i should get my goal is around 420hp and i want more tq in mid to high rpm.

chris

·
hello officer...
447 Posts
420 RWHP is a little high for a cam only car. you already have longtubes? on my cam all i needed was springs, pushrods, retainers and the cam. the specs on my MTI G1 cam are 228/232 .588/.575 on a 113 LSA. im getting mine dynod tomarrow so ill send you the dyno graph to compare. (even though i am an 04) i didnt put on a underdrive pulley and im hoping for 380 at the wheels. if youd like to hear my car, theres a sound clip in the multimedia section.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i know i am also puting kooks longtubes,underdrive pulley,intake,pp throttle body,and a really good tune

·
Incognito
1,433 Posts
From what I've heard, the Magic Stick III is a pretty good cam for what your looking for. With LTs and Cam you should be able to make some good power. I plan to go also with one of the several good aftermarket heads available, IMO it's worth the extra 40-50 hp especially because you already have the car torn apart.

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
bryced1 said:
420 RWHP is a little high for a cam only car. you already have longtubes? on my cam all i needed was springs, pushrods, retainers and the cam. the specs on my MTI G1 cam are 228/232 .588/.575 on a 113 LSA. im getting mine dynod tomarrow so ill send you the dyno graph to compare. (even though i am an 04) i didnt put on a underdrive pulley and im hoping for 380 at the wheels. if youd like to hear my car, theres a sound clip in the multimedia section.

there are several 05=06's putting down 380 with an intake, tune and headers. He should be able to get close to 420 with a good cam.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here are some facts for you. I have an 05 with race pipes intake and corsa. On a super hot day the best i got was 366hp. after a cam and underdrive i put down 420.89hp with 392ft lbs. My cam is super mild and you cant even tell i have one unless i sit at idle and then its barely noticable. here are the specs. comp cam 228/230 114 lobe and .588/.591 Hope this is helpfull. Also most good tuners will tell you to go with double springs which cost more but are worth it.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
the dyno number game is only mildly useful and doesn't tell the whole story of how a cam will propel your car... unless it's intended for bragging rights and not ETs

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
mildly... for tuning purposes and then you still need to street/track tune. HP #s can be peaky also. there's so much more to go-fast than that posted HP#. take it from a little un-cammed LS1

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys keep them coming i race on the highway so mid to high rpm is what i want but i dont want to lose the tq i know i have to lose one to get another.so lets see what you guys think.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys, how does this look as far performance vs just big hp numbers. Does this look like a good powerband for the track? Im new at this stuff and i was just tickled pink at the gain from the cam.
DSC00010.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
05GTO Jason said:
Guys, how does this look as far performance vs just big hp numbers. Does this look like a good powerband for the track? Im new at this stuff and i was just tickled pink at the gain from the cam.
View attachment 43435

Ya but your car is gonna be a dog until you get to 4000 RPM, I am personally gonna go with a more mild cam because I don't race my GTO every mile I drive. A GTO with a mild cam upgrade, LT headers, intake and a good tune will beat a GTO with lumpy cam from stop sign to stop sign, you might loose going 140 on the highway though but how often do you race like that?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
just get some heads at the same time with what you will pay for good dual springs retainers and the pain in the asss or the labor cost to put them in you will be money ahead with some new heads...

i might even know someone selling a kick ass set of lingenfelter stage III heads that made 493 rwp off of a corvette for 1200.00.... hehehe

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no one has a cam that would work with what i want just trying to get some sugestions

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
redncgoat said:
no one has a cam that would work with what i want just trying to get some sugestions
Proven to make great average power, across the board HP...

The "Street-Sweeper-HT"
LSX Hydraulic Roller Camshaft Kit

Includes:
"SweetSweeper-HT" Camshaft
Specs: 228*-232*-111*-.612"-.600"
FTI Gen-3 Dual Valve Springs
FTI Hardened Spring Locators
FTI Super Seven Ti Retainers
FTI Super Seven Valve Locks
Viton Valve Seals
FTI Pro-Series Pushrods

$925 shipped!

Broad street power for an LS2 engine.
Great sounding daily driver profile "muscle car" lope!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks keep them coming i would like too see who else has this cam

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ed-Very interested in the Street Sweeper cam-I know greeny has the cam on his 04 but do you know of any other members with this cam? I'm looking for vids and #'s..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts