LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a FAST 102 lying around that came off the LS2 when I put the blower on. It has the LS2 fuel rail and injectors. No reason I can't throw the whole unit on the LS1 at some point, like when I also do headers and subsequently have it tuned.

BUT, I will need a decent cable driven 4-bolt throttle body to fit on the FAST. No real reason to go bigger than 92mm as I plan to keep the long block stock. What is a good aftermarket throttle body that doesn't break the bank? Apparently some cheaper ones don't do so well with the IAT? Basically I want one that will fit on the FAST (4-bolt) and one that will work with stock TPS and IAT valves and wont be a nightmare to tune. I don't think I need a Nick Williams for for example, but maybe the Holley Sniper? Or?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I did some digging earlier for something similar but got killed on duty and shipping so I stayed stock.

I know the holley is decent but needs a new IAC which adds ~60USD to the listed price. You'll mostly get NW or bust responses... so I'd say NW or bust

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,753 Posts
My Nick Williams has been great for ten years, and Scoggin Dickey used to sell a cable bracket that bolts to the backside of the NW.

It seems that the Holley TBs aren't great out of the box and do require some work to get dialed in correctly. Another TB is the Warr Performance piece, which can be found on eBay. Apparently, people have had good luck with that one. However, I can only speak to the Nick Williams.

·
Administrator
9,200 Posts
Motion Raceworks

·
GR-RRR!
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Motion Raceworks
My tuner suggested those but said they have limitations on the IAC, that you have to crack the throttle to start. The built in IAC passage isn't big enough to allow for a cold start. His experience is on his own 04 GTO.

·
Administrator
9,200 Posts
@timo310

You wanna log on here and comment on this thing. Remember you loving it.

·
Worthless reject member
54,709 Posts
My Nick Williams has been great for ten years, and Scoggin Dickey used to sell a cable bracket that bolts to the backside of the NW.

It seems that the Holley TBs aren't great out of the box and do require some work to get dialed in correctly. Another TB is the Warr Performance piece, which can be found on eBay. Apparently, people have had good luck with that one. However, I can only speak to the Nick Williams.
+1 on the nick williams. mine has been perfect.

·
Registered
2004 M6 PMB
397 Posts
WARR 92 mm on mine. Transferred over the Stock TPS and IAC.
Works good on my setup.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Cheap china ebay works well. Or a warr labeled china version for double the price. All performed the exact same as my Fast 92. Wouldnt overspend on a part like that ever again.

·
Registered
04m6 PBM-JBA cc shorties, Muff delete CAI intake DBAfronts 05/06rears c5 pads LSS 06tails SAP stuff
410 Posts
Cheap china ebay works well. Or a warr labeled china version for double the price. All performed the exact same as my Fast 92. Wouldnt overspend on a part like that ever again.
You know if the 92mm China eBay ones work with a stock ls6 manifold? Always wondered because I was going to p&p my stocker for that “every little bit” mod, and have seen some decent results from other 04 guys’ stock 75mm ls1 TBs being ported. But if I could get a 3 bolt, cable driven 92mm for under $100 that actually works with all the stock sensors, I’ve contemplated doing that instead 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
04m6 PBM-JBA cc shorties, Muff delete CAI intake DBAfronts 05/06rears c5 pads LSS 06tails SAP stuff
410 Posts
Or did you mean the cheap ones work great just with the FAST not the stock intake manifold

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Or did you mean the cheap ones work great just with the FAST not the stock intake manifold
They all work on the fast 102. I didnt bother to look for larger 3 bolts or try to put larger on a stock manifold. They have plates for that if you really wonna waste the money.
You can get both for 100 and I doubt you will pick up anything doing so.

·
Registered
410 Posts
They all work on the fast 102. I didnt bother to look for larger 3 bolts or try to put larger on a stock manifold. They have plates for that if you really wonna waste the money.
You can get both for 100 and I doubt you will pick up anything doing so.
Yea figured. And yea I’ve seen the plates and stuff just figured why mess with it until more bolt ons. Good to know tho

·
GR-RRR!
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lots of people have said the ebay/China throttle bodies work just fine. I've been looking at this one: 92mm Cable Throttle Body CNC Bolt For GM Gen III LS LS1 LS2 LS3 LS6 LS7 US | eBay

My only question is: can the clean air line tube be made to point rearward instead of forward? On the stock TB the fitting points to the rear to connect to the valve cover pipe to provide fresh air to the PCV system. Would seem silly to route a hose forward and around just to go back to the valve cover fitting.

I assume this small pipe is just press fit in place but can it be pivoted or removed and replaced without too much trouble?

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,753 Posts
Lots of people have said the ebay/China throttle bodies work just fine. I've been looking at this one: 92mm Cable Throttle Body CNC Bolt For GM Gen III LS LS1 LS2 LS3 LS6 LS7 US | eBay

My only question is: can the clean air line tube be made to point rearward instead of forward? On the stock TB the fitting points to the rear to connect to the valve cover pipe to provide fresh air to the PCV system. Would seem silly to route a hose forward and around just to go back to the valve cover fitting.

I assume this small pipe is just press fit in place but can it be pivoted or removed and replaced without too much trouble?
It's cheap enough to try and find out.

·
GR-RRR!
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's cheap enough to try and find out.
I have one on the way, we will see, eventually. It will be a while before I can do the intake mods, lots of expensive stuff yet to buy like an OTRCAI system. I'd also like to have a spare radiator shroud so I can cut one up and keep one in untouched condition. I'm weird that way.

Now, if the seller hadn't used the slowest shipping method possible, I'd probably already have it in my hands.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts