LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the stock differential with a Torsen T2R, but I haven't been able to figure out what kind of rear end is under our car.

Given that information I will be able to learn whether I can replace the differential with the Torsen.

Anyone know what the specs on the rear are?

Thanks!!

Jim Howard

2004 Red/Red M6

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
The rearend in our cars is a Dana derived 8.5" ring gear rear end. I have replaced the gears in my rearend and am glad I did it. There are other posts about the rear diff information in this section and there are posts about the bearings, and seals in the part numbers threads. I believe I once saw a post that said they were purchasing a bulk load of 3.73 rear gears. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up. I searched around and learned the following.

As you mentioned, it is "Dana derived" with a 8.5" ring gear and I learned that it is a Borg Warner Hydra Track Viscous LSD (crap).

However, I need to know which "Dana" axle is in the car. Is it a 30, 35, 44, etc? And do Dana 8.5" units work in the car? What is the axle spline count and so on.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Jim

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
You'll probably have to....

JimHoward said:
Thanks for the heads up. I searched around and learned the following.

As you mentioned, it is "Dana derived" with a 8.5" ring gear and I learned that it is a Borg Warner Hydra Track Viscous LSD (crap).

However, I need to know which "Dana" axle is in the car. Is it a 30, 35, 44, etc? And do Dana 8.5" units work in the car? What is the axle spline count and so on.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Jim
Check with a Dealer's Parts folks. The Helms tells you all about takeout, repair, replace, etc., but is largely devoid of details about the makeup of the parts and numbers. I wish they made a specifications book. :(

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been corresponding with Torsen and they also have not been able to determine whether their unit will fit our GTOs. They have a request into GM for the information, but have not received a response yet.

Jim

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LS1GURU said:
The Diff is not a viscous locker.It is a cone style locker with 4 spider gears.
I am not saying that you are incorrect, but that was just what I gleened from another post earlier on in this group.

A cone style is definitely better, but will wear out quickly. So, in the end it is irrelevant about what type of differential is in there. I am going to replace it anyway.

Any idea about whether a Torsen T2R will fit?

What type of axle is in the GTO?, etc.?

Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jim. I have been in one of these diffs and have changed gears.It was a cone type.I took the carrier apart and verified what was inside.No one has made any other carrier that will fit in this diff that I know of.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LS1GURU said:
Jim. I have been in one of these diffs and have changed gears.It was a cone type.I took the carrier apart and verified what was inside.No one has made any other carrier that will fit in this diff that I know of.
Thanks for the confirmation. While the cone type diff is definitely better than a viscous type, I would still like to replace it with a Torsen.

There are other things that I would like to modify about this car to improve performance and I am learning that our cars have two strikes: 1) the car is from a foreign land and most performance folks locally have no idea what the car is yet: 2) the car is new (to USA) and performance parts have not been established for the car.

Just have to be patient I guess.

Thanks!

Jim

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Positraction Unit

LS1GURU said:
Did it look like an Auburn? People I have spoken to are under the impression it was a Torsen unit already, but that now appears to be incorrect if you did not recognize it as such.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts