LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
The Root Of All Evil
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I make up my mind on what I want for exhaust, I'm going to get in to the moter. I think superchargers and turbos are great but I want mine Onatural. So with that said what Are your guys thoughts on heads and cams? You know sizes, specs, brands all that good stuff. I want the car to go high 11s and be fun to drive on a day to day basis. :mullet:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
No idea yet. Honestly! My mind changes daily.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
No idea yet. Honestly! My mind changes daily.
Yeah, I hear ya.

I figure these are my options:

1. One of the warrantied blower options for the GTO (Magnacharger, Procharger), with just a few minor bolt ons (intake, exhaust, maybe headers), $5000+, with 425-450rwhp.

2. Full N/A: heads/cam, all bolt ons (intake, headers, exhaust). For a mild setup, figure $4000 and 400rwhp. For a wild setup, $6000+ and 500+rwhp.

3. Full N/A as in #2, except tuned for a blower, figure $10000+ and 600+rwhp.

Here's a heads/cam setup I'm looking at:
Total Engine Airflow has a few LS1 staged options for both heads and cams. From what I read on LS1TECH, most people are pretty pleased with them.

Padre

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Excuse the ignorance but what does "N/A" mean?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
Naturally Aspirated (no supercharger or turbo)
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :slap: :wall:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Well, here are my musings.

1) originally I had decided on building a full tilt 427 stroker for it

2) Then I decided to simply put a blower on it

3) Then I decided to just do heads and cam

4) Then I decided to do blower and heads and cam

5) And finally where I'm at right now, blower and the 427 motor.

The only thing holding me back right now is a small matter that I am unemplyed. Otherwise, this would all be done already. :(

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
The only thing holding me back right now is a small matter that I am unemplyed. Otherwise, this would all be done already. :(
That would be a problem for sure.....good luck in that dept.

I have plenty of greenbacks to spend but no idea what to do? I would not know what was best. I want more HP 450-500 sounds very good to me, but where would I get that? I have been thinking about the magnacharger but then I read on here that it might be too much for the stock parts. I have no idea where I would get any of this type of work done either. I really don't want to change the exhaust note too much at all. :confused:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Heads and Cam will do that (a decent combination, not the SLP kind), a blower will do that too.

It all dpends on how you want to make your power. I prefer N/A, but several others I'm sure don't agree with me.

A H&C motor, you're making the power all the time, which is nice for driving, but you'll pay for it at the pump. A S/C route will be easier on the wallet in terms of MPG, but that's because you're not requiring it make full power all the time. Plus you have to take some power off the motor to turn the blower.

It's a 6 of one, half dozen of the other scenario.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Roger that

I have to go with CMNT on this one. This is a street car right? Not a trailered to the track weekend warrior? Normally aspirated for me. Mine is a driver, and the S-10 V8 has become the toy. I may swap a few parts, heads, cam, beef the drivetrain, etc., tune the daylights out of it, but no radical changes are in store, at least for the forseeable future. IMHO, this is the way to go for a driver. :)

·
Disaster
339 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
A H&C motor, you're making the power all the time, which is nice for driving, but you'll pay for it at the pump. A S/C route will be easier on the wallet in terms of MPG, but that's because you're not requiring it make full power all the time. Plus you have to take some power off the motor to turn the blower.
I have never dealt with a aftermarket H/C motor so sorry for the dumb question. :slap: Exactly how much of a loss of MPG are we lookin at if I want to make about 400-450rwhp with our GTO. Or what is a rough guess on what your Z28 gets?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I manage about 15-17 around town and on a good day, 23 - 24 on the highway.

It's not too terribly off from stock,

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Nope, A lot also depends on how "heavy" you let your foot get. :D

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Old Goat said:
I have to go with CMNT on this one. This is a street car right? Not a trailered to the track weekend warrior? Normally aspirated for me. Mine is a driver, and the S-10 V8 has become the toy. I may swap a few parts, heads, cam, beef the drivetrain, etc., tune the daylights out of it, but no radical changes are in store, at least for the forseeable future. IMHO, this is the way to go for a driver. :)
Well, the blowers can be very streetable, sometimes even more so than an aggressive heads/cam passage. To get 450+rwhp N/A you'll have to go with a cam that won't be very streetable (you know, the type that goes "rumble rumble rumble" and sits there shaking the whole car at idle). With the Magnacharger or one of the others, you just bolt it on and voila 425rwhp - nothing else needed, except maybe a CAI and an exhaust. Plus, you get a 3-year powertrain warranty, and later you can swap it out easier than a h/c package if you ever want to return it to stock to sell it.

At least that's what I'm thinking. Only problem with the blowers is that they'll likely have more failures (every tuner will tell you their own horror story about this that or the other blower).

But I do agree that I want a driver's car, not simply a drag car with great e/ts and traps (that's just a bonus). I want something that a high-end BMW driver will envy and a ZO6 can't touch. :cool: I occasionally make trips all the way across the country and I want something that is tame when I need it to be, and something that can open up on the roads of West Texas. :)

BTW, the fellow I've spoken to about tuning mine is on this forum, OpticZ06. Go to the multimedia forum and check out the vid of his 9-sec daily driver Z06. I figure he knows what he's doing. :)

Padre

·
The Root Of All Evil
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Old Goat said:

Thats what my plans are! I mostly wanted opinions on what would be a good combo to try, what brands. Alot of my friends like comp cams, what kind of heads. etc.......

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I have GTP heads. A lot of people love Craig's work. It's all hand worked. However, they are not common like the patriot or AFR's. RGR is another good head, but Patriot is right there and a better price.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Since you have "plenty of greenbacks to spend", I believe it would be prudent to invest some of that money in beefing up the drive shaft, rear end, half shafts, and brakes. From what I've read, those are the "weak links" when you start adding significant horsepower and torque. Like MXR, my "list of mods" changes daily, but I do intend to start out with sub-frame connectors and then a brake upgrade.

Lest we forget, there is more to "drivability" than the engine.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Driveability

FLORIT said:
Since you have "plenty of greenbacks to spend", I believe it would be prudent to invest some of that money in beefing up the drive shaft, rear end, half shafts, and brakes. From what I've read, those are the "weak links" when you start adding significant horsepower and torque. Like MXR, my "list of mods" changes daily, but I do intend to start out with sub-frame connectors and then a brake upgrade.

Lest we forget, there is more to "drivability" than the engine.
Very good point! :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts