LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LS1 car heads and LS1 truck heads?

Same thing goes for the 5.3 heads, 6.0 heads, and etc. heads.

GM 6.0 LS1,LS6,LQ4 &LQ9 CYLINDER HEADS

How do those heads fit on the LS1/LS6 blocks?

I'm still trying to learn about our engines.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
I had posted this on another thread, this gives the details of the heads. LQ9=6.0L They will all bolt on, the 6.0 is designed just like the LS6 heads, but with a larger chamber. 5.3 heads have a much smaller chamber. You can play around with different heads to obtain a different compression ratio.

-------------------------

6.0 Heads(71.06cc) are just like LS6 heads(64.45cc) but with a larger cc combustion chamber. The 5.3's (61.15cc) have a smaller cc combusion chamber. LS1 5.7 heads are 66.67cc. On a stock short block you can control the static CR by changing around the heads. Be carefull, some head gaskets have a shorter installed height....means a tiny bit more comp.

The new AFR heads are available from 64-76 cc chambers.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DevilYellow said:
I had posted this on another thread, this gives the details of the heads. LQ9=6.0L They will all bolt on, the 6.0 is designed just like the LS6 heads, but with a larger chamber. 5.3 heads have a much smaller chamber. You can play around with different heads to obtain a different compression ratio.

-------------------------

6.0 Heads(71.06cc) are just like LS6 heads(64.45cc) but with a larger cc combustion chamber. The 5.3's (61.15cc) have a smaller cc combusion chamber. LS1 5.7 heads are 66.67cc. On a stock short block you can control the static CR by changing around the heads. Be carefull, some head gaskets have a shorter installed height....means a tiny bit more comp.

The new AFR heads are available from 64-76 cc chambers.

I would never change heads on my car but what would most people go with then? I would guess the 5.3 for the higher CR.

But what about the ls1 car and ls1 truck engines?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
FYI, LS1 truck heads ARE the 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0L heads. They're one in the same sans the differences previously mentioned but commonly refered to as "LS1 Truck heads" despite the fact they may be on a motor with RPO LQ4 or LQ9

In some applications, a 6.0L head for it's bigger combustion chamber (therefore dropping static compression) is advantagous. If you're running a stroker motor (increased displacement) or if you're running boost/N2O.

The only time a 5.3L head would be good on an LS1 for it's smaller combustion chamber would be on a stock displacement LS1 (I.E. 346 cubes) for that quick increase in compression.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts