LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im right in the middle of replacing my 04 radiator that sprung a leak but i cant seem to get the old one out.
How the heck are you supposed to do it? Im about ready to break the clips off the old one.
Ive taken off all the hoses and tranny lines successfully and have unscrewed the four long screws that
attaches to the ac compressor from the front but I cant seem to release those 4 remaining clips from the front of radiator.
Is the trick to try to unclip one side at a time or the bottom first and then the top?
I need someones help please.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I lift and unclip the condenser and push it forward then back down so it will rest infront of clips. I pull the fans as well, assuming already did that. Slides out pretty easy. Or you can lay the condenser out of the way but risk breaking the line, somehow people do that alot.
Car Vehicle registration plate Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
F6v?
I lift and unclip the condenser and push it forward then back down so it will rest infront of clips. I pull the fans as well, assuming already did that. Slides out pretty easy. Or you can lay the condenser out of the way but risk breaking the line, somehow people do that alot. View attachment 513613
Yes that worked. I lifted the condenser up and forward from the radiator while unclipping the top and bottom at the same time (started with the left side) and letting it rest in front of the radiator. Then unclipping the right side, top and bottom, at the same time im pulling up on the condenser just enough to get it unclipped from radiator.
Im not sure if that made any sense or not but i did what you told me and it worked liked a charm.
I mean as soon as the condenser was unclipped from the radiator i was able to remove the radiator from the car. All together about 10 minutes.
So thank you for your help.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Unhook the evaporator line from the dryer and let the freon bleed out slowly. The nut is 17 mm. I cut the box end off an old wrench to allow for more swing movement. Take the top clips off and it slides out as a unit. Service it as a unit, meaning attach the condenser and dryer to the new radiator and reinstall.

This way you will not have to struggle and possibly break the evaporator line. Do not sweat the AC refill. Get a couple of cans of 134 and a hose attachment from Walmart and charge it. I've had 4 or 5 cams in the car. Worked well each time. Good luck.

PS: you have to disconnect the lines and fans too :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for your help. I sure appreciated all the responses. I was able to get the new radiator in and the three new hoses I bought. But i want to change out some of my heater hoses and i can not seem to locate them anywhere.
Anyone have a suggestion?
Ive tried rockauto, autozone, o'reillys, carparts.com and gto8parts (something like that)
2004 stock automatic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts