LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mr Fingers to you
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I am under 300 miles and have still been having such great luck so far.

Now once the car is warmed up and I get to about 45+ MPH I hear a noise coming from what sounds like the rear end.

It only does it when the car has been run for a bit and it only starts at 45mph.

It is a whirling sound thats gets louder when I speed up and get softer as I slow down.

It actually sounds like a really loud fuel pump, but I know thats not it. I am just trying to describe the noise.

Just curious before I take it to the dealer and they tell me its normal.

·
Registered
86 Posts
silverbugeye said:
Just curious before I take it to the dealer and they tell me its normal.
Don't bother going to the dealer until you know you have a valid issue. You will only increase your frustration being without the car. BUT, if you start to notice the whining getting worse over the next couple hundred miles, take it in and tell them the rear-end just started whining.

·
GTOless
7,056 Posts
this sounds like another issue with the axle bolts :banghead:

·
Mr Fingers to you
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I looked under the car for the heck of it and it look like its leaking some fluid from the LSD tag that attached to the fill nut.

There is cosmolene everywhere but there is definitely gear oil on that tag.

·
Mr Fingers to you
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I took it on the highway just to see and at about 75-80 it gets really loud.

Its very noticable even at 45 though. All thats needed is just to turn the radio down and you can hear it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Have you been able to totallty discard tyre noise/resonance/ply spread/lamination from the equation?

mike

·
Registered
671 Posts
See the other rear end thread

Sounds like a similar problem.

Definitely gear/bearing or clearane related.

94TA

·
Mr Fingers to you
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I am taking it in to Pontiac next week. I had a non-Pontiac tech listen to it and he said it sounded like a bearing issue so we will see what I find out next week.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am having a similar issue. Got a little over 2K miles and it started around 1K. I hear a whining noise from the the rear end when off the throttle. It goes away if I get on the gas. I hear it from 40 mph and up, even when between gears.

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
sarjx1 said:
I am having a similar issue. Got a little over 2K miles and it started around 1K. I hear a whining noise from the the rear end when off the throttle. It goes away if I get on the gas. I hear it from 40 mph and up, even when between gears.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve,

I think you'd be the first person to say that the whining goes away when you get on the gas...Everyone else seems to be that it goes away only with slowing down. Curious.

·
Registered
27 Posts
phobos512 said:
Steve,

I think you'd be the first person to say that the whining goes away when you get on the gas...Everyone else seems to be that it goes away only with slowing down. Curious.
Here's another tidbit on my ride. Tyipically hear it above 40mph and in 6th gear or in neutral. If I downshift into a lower gear and use engine braking, the noise is gone (which I still could hear over the engine).

Mine was built in March, but don't know if it made the cut for the rear end update to address the "thump" some people have heard from the rear. I should probably check the SN to find out.

·
Registered
835 Posts
sarjx1 said:

Thanks,
Steve
mine does the same thing, I just thought it was normal. (I hope)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well, I just got my car back today from the shop. At 650 miles the car started developing gear whine. By 900 she was sitting at dealer waiting for new rear end. GM didnt want the local dealer tearing apart rear, so they air freighted the only one in US to me this week. 14 more on the way however from Australia. Lets hope you dont need one because they arent do here until Dec. Good Luck.

·
Registered
835 Posts
tohigh4you said:
Well, I just got my car back today from the shop. At 650 miles the car started developing gear whine. By 900 she was sitting at dealer waiting for new rear end. GM didnt want the local dealer tearing apart rear, so they air freighted the only one in US to me this week. 14 more on the way however from Australia. Lets hope you dont need one because they arent do here until Dec. Good Luck.
What were your symptoms?

·
Registered
199 Posts
tohigh4you said:

Sounds like my problem, along with many others:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7315

Also, keep an eye on this:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?p=111601#post111601

·
Mr Fingers to you
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well as I said I am going to the dealer on Tuesday. So tonight I am driving the car(its a little cooler but I am still in FL) and its still making the noise but not nearly as loud now. Even at 75 on the highway its barely noticeable. I am sure glad things act like this as soon as you make an appointment.

Tomorrow I will drive it alot and see what it does.

·
Registered
230 Posts
cjlannoy said:
What were your symptoms?
Symptoms were around 500 miles the car started with slight high pitvh whine at hwy speed. By 700-800 miles the car had ear piercing whine from 40mph or higher. I believe it was too much preload on pinion bearing but not sure since GM wanted the rear back for t/s.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Just got back from the dealer today and they said that the ring and pinion were out of alignment and they ordered a new differential. They also said they may have been able to adjust it if the car had less than 5000 miles but at 11000 they said it probably had worn too much and would have to be replaced. Several people told me that the upgrades I did should not have affected this at all and the dealer didn't say one word about it when I brought it in. :) I have no idea how long it will take to get a new rear end but they also told me it shouldn't break down on me while I'm waiting. Just a little annoying noise. I figure I've lived with it this long, even a few more months won't bother me too much as long is eventually gets fixed.

·
Mr Fingers to you
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well my noise came back again and I took it in for them to listen to.

They are going to try and fix it on Thursday.

They did hear the noise and think that it is a bad bearing somewhere.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Any News?

Bearing, fluid level?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts