LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Goatfest 9-6-14
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to turn my LS1 into a Hot-Cammed LS6, I already have the bare 243 casting heads, and I want to get a LS6 hot-cam and the LS6 sodium filled valves. Run all of this with a full aftermarked exhaust (1 7/8 inch KOOKS headers, and 3in cat-back), K&N CAI, SLP MAF, and Nick Williams 78mm throttle. What kinda power will I make? This is the exact setup I want because I want to turn my GTO into a Judge and figured this would be a good way to make it look factory.

·
Registered
700 Posts
You do realize the Judge was only a decal package? A non-descript GTO could be ordered with the same or higher hp motor than the Judge.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I'd guess 450 flywheel horse power.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
seriously... get the 243's ported. Mine are and I gained 21RWHP and a buddy of mine, his 243s arent and even with a more agressive cam then me, he only gained 12RWHP with the stock 243s.

Also too, DO NOT get the SLP MAF... it will do more harm then good.

·
Goatfest 9-6-14
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gotzaGTO said:
seriously... get the 243's ported. Mine are and I gained 21RWHP and a buddy of mine, his 243s arent and even with a more agressive cam then me, he only gained 12RWHP with the stock 243s.

Also too, DO NOT get the SLP MAF... it will do more harm then good.
I would get them ported, but i dont want to lose more low-end torque than i already am with this setup. Remember this is my daily driver. OH and I already am running the SLP MAF, and I havent had any problems. I installed it with the K&N CAI. I havent had a single problem with it.

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
372 RWHP

The cam isnt that aggressive, you should atleast consider a 224 type cam. Better bang for the buck, and its got alot more lift.

·
Goatfest 9-6-14
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flash99 said:
372 RWHP

The cam isnt that aggressive, you should atleast consider a 224 type cam. Better bang for the buck, and its got alot more lift.
I would get a bigger cam , but I have driveabliltiy issues to deal with and I want a factory theme.

·
Goatfest 9-6-14
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Flash99 said:
372 RWHP

I would get a bigger cam , but I have driveabliltiy issues to deal with and I want a factory theme.

Also what kinda fuel system upgrades would be wise to do with these engine upgrades?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
waste of time if you dont go with the bigger cam.... dont have to go huge but sack up just a bit and if you want a factory theme just drive it stock

·
Goatfest 9-6-14
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rmitchell242 said:
waste of time if you dont go with the bigger cam.... dont have to go huge but sack up just a bit and if you want a factory theme just drive it stock
why would it be a waste of time if i didnt go bigger?

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
ram09 said:
why would it be a waste of time if i didnt go bigger?
Mostly cuz the hot cam isnt all that hot to be honest. You dont have to get the sodium filled valves to get the hp from the 243 heads. That will cost you WAY more than the hp gained as it will be virutally nothing over the LS2 valves. I have bone stock untouched 243 heads from an LS2. I picked up 30 rwhp from them with my cam. I already had the rest of the mods listed in my sig. All I did was swap the heads and retune. As stated stay away from the SLP maf. Its works fine on a stock car. Its a nightmare on a modified car. Get a 224/224 cam and you will gain much more then the hot cam.

Also please define what you consider " Judge"?

·
Controlled Insanity
287 Posts
I'm kind of going down the same route, but would agree with everyone here that you need to go bigger on the cam side.

I currently have a GT2-3 in my car and made 358/348 with a CAI, ported TB and a tune. The car ran 12.7 @ 109 and you couldn't tell anything was done to it.

I wanted a little more power and so I decided to get bare 243's and put them on my car. I also put on a JBA uncatted mid pipe. I haven't been able to dyno the car yet, but based on the tuning that we've done and some numbers from scans (A/F ratio and injector load), I am somewhere in the 375-390 range (not trying to ricer anything, just making an educated guess).

However...

While the cam really never made much power before 3500 RPM's, the heads have moved that number way up in the RPM band. The car rips above 5k, but the power is pretty much unusable. So, that would lead me to two choices:

1. Port the heads and attempt to increase low end CFM to gain some torque out of the setup. This will work, but may still not give me what I am looking for.

or

2. Switch to a more aggressive cam that will optimize the flow of the head and my desire to go with the shorty/mid pipe setup over LT's (no need for comments on that, I chose that exhaust setup because it suits MY needs and will work well with MY setup).

Given all your other planned mods, you need a cam that can work with that setup. If drivability is your main concern I would go with one of the more aggressive stealth cams. Something with high lift .590+ on the intake and .580+ on the exhaust and also has an exhaust bias split to maximize the heads. The 243's have great intake flow, but the exhaust flow is not much better than a 241 head. Use a high intake lift to take advantage of that and then use the exhaust biased duration to help get exhaust out efficiently.

·
Goatfest 9-6-14
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Baaa said:
Also please define what you consider " Judge"?
I define a Judge as the sticker package along with the high performance factory motor. Thus the reason I want to use the LS6 HOT CAM.

·
Look at me.
2,833 Posts
That's a decent plan for power if you want to keep it all factory parts. Personally I would make an exception on the cam but oh well. Do NOT get the SLP MAF, just port the stock one. I'd guess you'd make ~ 375 whp, or almost 450 at the crank.

The biggest part of your judge plans will be the appearance mods - what are you going to do about that? I'm curious to see what a 2004+ Judge would look like.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Around 380rwhp would be a good number for that setup. With a little head work and a slightly more aggresive cam, but still stock sounding I think 400rwhp could be in the picture.

·
Kernal Sanders
0 Posts
not to be a jack ass but the LS6 Cam and GM Hot Cam are 2 Differnt cam's.
GM Performance Parts LS6 Corvette Camshafts NAL-12565308
Camshaft, Hydraulic Roller Tappet, Duration at 0.50 lift 204/ 218, Lift at Valve .550/ .550
GM Performance Parts Gen 3 Hot Cam Kits NAL-12480033
Cam and Valvetrain, Hydraulic Roller, Duration at .050 in. 219/ 228, Lift .525/ .525, Chevy, 5.7L/ 350, Kit
the hot cam will make more power and retain driveability. Also I understand what your doing so if this is the rout you want dont let these peckers detur you. Get a set of 243 heads from ebay (600.00 or less) and the hot cam package and goto work. Should be able to do the swap for under 1 grand if you are willing to put in the wrench time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts