LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in June of this year, my 13 yr old Grandson told his Dad that he didn't want to save his money for a moped but wanted to save to buy an old GTO. I guess that is what got me to thinkin'.
I went to the new GTO website and when I clicked on that sound track of the 04, it was all over! You see, I had a new 65, new 67 and a new 70 GTO. I called my Cousin,3rd generation Pontiac Dealer that goes back to my Grandfather who started it in 1928.
I asked him if I could still get a GTO? At that time. nobody had placed an order yet. I told him to put me on the list.
In July I went to the GTO Nationals in Columbus and seen one in person. After seeing one and then talking to Jim Wangers about it I was convinced. I figured if anybody would have anything to say bad about the GTO, Jim would since he is considered the "Godfather " of the old GTO's. He couldn't keep a smile of his face as he described it.
The next day, I ordered a Silver/black 6 speed. It was supposed to have been built last week.
I'm sure there our alot of good stories out there, so lets here yours:D

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I was looking for my first car after kids. Thougth I might by an F-body when much to my chagrin they had stopped making them. So I got online and started looking around. I was thinking of a GP but when I went to the Pontiac site there was this GTO looking me in the face. Same as you...once I played the sound it was over. The unfortunate part is I didn't order mine until the end of August and I have about a ten year wait. That's why I drink....

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
It had an LS1, 6 speed manual, was rear wheel drive, and light years ahead in terms of "civility" vs. my Camaro.

·
"PINKY'S UP"
1,610 Posts
Well, for me, I read alot of the car magazines. I have always had the car "bug". Car and Driver had an article couple years ago about the GTO coming out late 2003, I think I was sold then....and now it's "late 2003" and still no car. But I think it's going to be worth the wait once I get behind the wheel.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My first car was a 72 Lemans, 2nd was a 71 Firebird, I've had a 71 Lemans convert that has been off and on the road for about 15 years. My wife has a 68 Bird that I've redone. She had a 98 GTP also. Pontiacs are in my blood, and everything I saw about the new GTO looked great. And it had to be a 6-speed.

When I was about 11, I saw an older man driving a blue TA, and wondered why an old man would want a car like that. Now I know, once your hooked on fast cars, it's hard to kick the habit.

By the way, 4thGTO, mine is silver/black 6speed, also.

·
WOT's up?
559 Posts
My '99 Formula was fun but too "Boy Racer" looking. I wanted similar performance but better feel in the twisties. I looked at BMW (3 series), Chrysler (Crossfire) and Infiniti (G35 Coupe). Nice rides, but too small - and a little voice in the back of my head would always say 'You could of had V8'. Nothing satisfies like a V8! When I heard the GTO was back as an import of the Monaro I was hooked.

I'll take mine NOW please!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just after I bought my 67, I found out Pontiac was reintroducing the GTO. My wife was due to get a new car in 2004 when our son turns 16 ( and gets a hand-me-down). The timing was right, I just had to convince my wife that she would look better in the GTO than in the Volvo she was wanting. :D :D

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I've been nursing my '95 Saturn for a while (already spun a rod bearing and did the whole motor once). While it's nice having no car payments, I knew a new car was on the horizon. I had considered Audi, BMW as well as the S2000. I was kind of waiting until I had to buy a car or was married. Sometime early this year I ran across the '04 GTO info on Pontiac.com. I was hooked. It took until late July / early August to convince myself to preorder a car I've never seen - but I'm not regretting it so far (and I've now seen one in person) - and hopefully I won't when I get mine either.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I currently drive a 98 GTP. I got the new car fever earlier this year and started researching and looking. I don't really like the new GPs and figured the GTO would be like a Firebird, fast but cheap inside. I was really focused in on the BMW 3 series because I wanted something quick, handles well, and really nice interior. Then I started seeing pictures of the GTO interior and reading about the handling and ride and decided to give it a closer look. After hearing it on the Pontiac site and seeing all the pictures of it, I decided that would be my next car. It also helps that I have $3K on my original GM card!

·
Registered
102 Posts
My last two cars were GTP-powered Grand Prix's. I wanted something different after a total of 6 years in those vehicles.

Once I saw the features of the new GTO (e.g., 350 hp, deluxe interior, sweet sounding exhaust, etc.) I knew that would be my next ride!

Bobp16 :cool:

·
Silver Back!
277 Posts
After buying my wife a new Pathfinder this year, I decided it was time for something new for me. I wanted a Ram Air T/A but knew they were not making them anymore. I decided to vist the Pontiac website to see what was going to replace it. Once I saw the GTO, I knew I had to have it. I dont know what it was that sold me on the car. The interior or the power. I think it was BOTH!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I like the idea of a "personal luxury" sized coupe similar in size to Montes, G/Prix's, etc, but with some balls to it. I've had a 96 Monte since it was a year old and it's been great, but it's got no sack to it!! Conversely, in recent years I've had an '80 Vette (still have it - lets make a deal!!) and a mildly built-up 72 Monte. Both "pepped-up" and pretty fast but not exactly refined. I'm 32 now and have kicked butt on the job and worked my tail off. For my first new car I want to reward myself with a car that's both refined and powerful, and the fact that it's a GTO and the first GTO in like 30 years is big too. There are a lot of excellent cars on the market, but before the GTO came along there wasn't anything I was really interested in buying new, nothing I really had to have. I wanted this thing the second I saw the pictures and read the specs. Plus it has that sleeper quality to it that will be very fun. Before I saw the goat I was just going to keep the '72 and drop one of those awesome 502 crate jobs in it. But my job owns me!!!!! I'd never have the time. And lastly I spend a lot of time on the highway and I think this car will be the ultimate road tripper. Guess that about covers it!:cool:

·
Registered
774 Posts
I really loved my 1996 Z/28 SS. The power and styling are fantastic, but the car is a true beast to live with as a daily driver. It is uncomfortable for longer rides and impractical for carrying passengers.

Then voila! Along comes the GTO with similar horsepower, MUCH better interior, MUCH better suspension and styling that won't have State Troopers on my ass every second I'm on a highway. This all falls into a category we all know and love which is labelled, "NO BRAINER!";)

For me, the new Grand Prix was a big disappointment, so Pontiac got one back in my case by bringing the GTO over from G'DayMateLand. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come as well.

·
Registered
774 Posts
...and I forgot to add that a Ford Contour SVT is my daily driver. I will never purchase another Ford product as long as I live. That just about rules out a Mustang, eh?!?:p

·
Registered
293 Posts
bonequark said:
...and I forgot to add that a Ford Contour SVT is my daily driver. I will never purchase another Ford product as long as I live. That just about rules out a Mustang, eh?!?:p
I hear that. I still regret buying the Ford Expedition. I have to take it back again for repairs (5 times in 4 years). While the reliability of the GTO is still unknown, I sure hope our friends down under have a higher standard for quality than Found Off Road Dead.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
britus56 said:
I like the idea of a "personal luxury" sized coupe similar in size to Montes, G/Prix's, etc, but with some balls to it. I've had a 96 Monte since it was a year old and it's been great, but it's got no sack to it!!
Depends on which model you got. 1996 was the last year for the 3.4L DOHC V6 (of which I've had three of). It was 215hp and 220lb-ft of torque (if mammory serves me right) and while it won't be scaring any Z28, Trans Am, Corvette or GTO, it certainly by 1996 standards could pretty much hand anything else it's butt! Especially at speed on the highway where the DOHC motor just screamed!

In one of the other 3.4 DOHC motors I had, in a 95 Lumina, I kept door to door with a Mustang GT of similar vintage at about 130mph on the Eisenhower Expressway at 3am. :D We pulled over once we exited and his exact qoute was "what the F*CK do you have in that thing!?" Just a little ol V6 I replied. :D

·
LS1GTO Traitor
442 Posts
Sorry CMNT, the rental I'm driving while my Stang is fixed is a 2004 Monte Carlo SS. While it is a very nice car, it ain't got no sack as britus said.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts