LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Id like to buy the Kooks set coated w/cats, but I dont think I can swing the $1375.00 right now. What I can swing though, is a Borla cat back for $900.00. What do you think? Also, opinions on the Borla system.

·
9 Second Club
2,423 Posts
I think a full cat-back change out is a HUGE waste of money in the hp/tq #'s and in the sound department. Better off just change the mufflers with the ones of your choice. and the resonator to x or h or straight pipes. You'll see alot of guys are here doing this way now. Aftermarket cat-back systems are the same diamator as stock piping only different you'll see is mufflers and resonator!

Also what sound are you looking for? and how much volume(how loud)?

·
1 of 40,757
6,724 Posts
I'm more than happy with the magnaflow catback setup. SS, X pipe, and none of that crimped and smashed stock pipe. @ $525 shipped I'm glad to get the stock junk out from underneath my car.

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
Save up for headers. Like what was said above, the HP/TQ numbers you get from just a catback aren't that impressive. Headers and a tune really wakes these cars up. JMO

·
1 of 40,757
6,724 Posts
ShaneD_06GTO said:
Save up for headers. Like what was said above, the HP/TQ numbers you get from just a catback aren't that impressive. Headers and a tune really wakes these cars up. JMO
Definetly. I certainly hope no one would assume a cat back would give near the gains as headers.

Headers = Tune.
Catback doesnt.

·
Black is Beautiful!
282 Posts
Actually, if you do your homework, you can get a set of Kooks LTs with catted mids for only a couple hundred more than what you're planning on paying for that cat-back. I just got a sweet deal from AZ Power and Sound and I know Maryland Speed has good pricing. Bob at Precision Motorsports of FLA has some pretty amazing deals going on as well. Either of these guys can knock a couple hundred off the price of those headers. Give 'em a call.

·
it gets 12mpg and loving it!
564 Posts
I just stuck some magnaflow mufflers on my car and I love it! Saving up on a cam and headers..Hopefully have these things installed by spring!

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
Freedom_Fighter said:
IAftermarket cat-back systems are the same diamator as stock piping only different you'll see is mufflers and resonator!
Umm thats not true. Stock piping is 2.25" Corsa and Borla and Magnaflow are all 2.5" and SW is 3". Not to mention no crimps. On a stock car you wont gain much but sound from a cat back. On a cam or cam head car with headers you will gain some hp. 10-15rwhp.

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
Also keep in mind, carbon steel thin wall headers WILL corode over time from the inside out. My Hooker headers that were ceramic coated on the outside only lasted about 4 years on my 69 camaro. Thats the primary reason most cars come with stainless exhaust systems from the factory. Yes I know the stock manifolds are cast iron but they are also thick walled so the corrosion process will take years over thin walled tubing. It is an example of you get what you pay for.

·
Ka-Boom!
1,987 Posts
mypetgoatAZ said:
Id like to buy the Kooks set coated w/cats, but I dont think I can swing the $1375.00 right now. What I can swing though, is a Borla cat back for $900.00. What do you think? Also, opinions on the Borla system.
If I had to do it over again, I would do the headers first and if you arent happy with the sound then change mufflers or cat-back to suit your taste.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ordered my cat back (stainless works) 3 fridays ago and my headers (SLP catted) 2 fridays ago from a sponsor. Recieved the SLPs in 6 days with race pipes :madsign3: instead of cats. Still havent recieved my SW cat back yet.
I am working with the sponsor to get my cats.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Have fun installing the SLP headers. The connection pipes with cats are not the right leangth. Too long. Still sucks, the mix up between the cats, and off road pipes. Did you get the chambered, or turbo mufflers?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ordered turbo. But i called today to check status on the SW, they said still 7 to 10 days out. I'm thinking of changing my order.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts